Author Topic: Got my teeth cleaned today. Dentist wants to sell me Oral B Electric  (Read 5642 times)

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
The dental hygeinist cleaned my teeth today.  She said an electric toothbrush is like 10 times better than a regular brush, is this true?

They are selling Oral B Genuis for $139 or so tax free, with a $20 rebate.  So it would be $119.

I just buy the oral b soft tooth brushes..never used an electric before.  She said they are better because they vibrate so fast.

What do you think?   I'm almost 50 and have all my teeth.. I thank mostly the Water Pick for that as it jets water down between teeth and gums removing all bacteria.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
I have been using Phillips Sonicare for years and love it. Bought a two pack at Costco. If you are a member the prices are very good. Have not used Oral B. I totally prefer it to using a tooth brush and if my electric brushes crapped out, I would immediately buy new ones. I think it makes my teeth feel very clean.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
We just bought the sonicare from Costco. Really good prices. It was $110 for two of them, I think.

Even if just a month, dentist noticed a difference from the last time I had a cleaning.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Where I live, it's illegal for dentists to make any profit off of selling electric toothbrushes, and yet they push them like crazy.

Says something, doesn't it?

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
My dentist recommended (and sells) sonicare, but it was a soft sell to purchase from them. I bought one from Target for much cheaper and they don't care where I bought if from; I just get told my teeth/gums look fantastic.

If you have consistently good checkups, then what you're using is fine. If you have been told over the years that you have more than average build up/difficult teeth or other issues, you might look into trying the one they sell IF IT IS CHEAPER THAN ANYWHERE ELSE or find a similar one and see how your checkups go from there.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
I love my Oral B electric toothbrush but I would never buy one from a dentist. Shop around. I got mine from Amazon.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
I see a Philips Sonicare for $10 on facebook marketplace, without head.   Is it as good as the oral b?  seems like a bargain!

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
I think Sonicare and Oral B are both great.  I have the Oral B because I have sensitive teeth and the Sonicare made my teeth ache.  I bought a lower end Oral B that was $40.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
I like an Electric toothbrush on my gums sometimes.  I have bad dental genes though while yours sound terrific! 

Before you buy any electric toothbrush, make sure you can buy cheap and easy to find replacement heads.  My insurance also has a deal where you can buy a specific brand of electric toothbrush using their discount so maybe check it yours first before purchasing.  Or keep doing what you’re doing manually. 

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
I have a sonicare, and I really like it. After a bit of dental neglect in college/my early 20s, I am super committed to doing a better job. I love that the sonicare makes me brush my teeth for 2 minutes, 30 seconds each "zone" and does a way better job than I was doing by hand. My cleanings have gotten consistently better since I purchased it and my teeth just look better, too.

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
Re: Got my teeth cleaned today. Dentist wants to sell me Oral B Electric
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 08:10:44 PM »
I have a Sonicare, bought at Costco 9 years ago, still works great! Highly recommended.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 08:58:22 PM »
I guess I'll be the first dissenter.   Tried one years ago and did not like it.  This might sound rediculous,  but it did not give me the sensation of cleaning my teeth well, even though it likely was doing a much better job.  I guess it didn't froth up the toothpaste enough or something... Idon't know, maybe I'm weird.  It was a sonicare.  No cavities my entire life and no comments ever from the hygienist FWIW

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 10:36:33 PM »
Was discussed quite a bit in the thread Electric toothbrush - do you notice the difference?

People generally liked their electric toothbrushes. I like mine

Polaria

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 02:47:10 AM »
I think that using an electric toothbrush depends on several factors as everyone’s mouth and habits are different. It can be hugely beneficial in some cases, and totally useless in others.

Did your dentist say “it would surely be better for you than manual”, or just “it’s nice to have, btw we have this offer...”?

My dentist in Belgium was recommending it, my dentist in the UK thought it was for lazy people...

I have been using an Oral-B for something like 10 years, very happy with it, especially to reach that wisdom tooth far in the back.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 07:38:05 AM »
When I first got one, I thought it was nuts that people were buying travel versions. Seriously, how lazy can you get? Now I am unashamedly one of those people. They do take some getting used to, but are worth it in every way. Your teeth readdy do feel cleaner. For the cost of a single crown, you can have a lifetime supply of electric toothbrushes and replacement heads. Penny wise, IMO.

Another good resource, besides Costco, is Bed Bath & Beyond, purchased with one of their ubiquitous, never-expiring 20% off coupons.

I like the shape of the Sonicare Diamond handle. It's square-ish, so it doesn't roll over when you set it on the counter to put toothpaste on the brush.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 07:43:56 AM »
I thought the same thing when my dentist was pushing an electric toothbrush years ago. I have to say that it changed my life. I didn't buy it from my dentist though. I just went online like I would for anything else and found the best price that I could for a Sonicare. My wife uses Oral B and loves hers too. They both have several different models with bells and whistles. I don't think you need anything other than the base model which should be about half the price of the luxury model.

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 07:53:49 AM »
A few years ago I was put on a medication that caused dry mouth as a side effect, which kicked off some dental woes. My dentist kept pushing an electric toothbrush and I read a comment here (by pbkmaine, whose wisdom I trust on virtually every subject) about the wonders of the WaterPik.

With some grouchiness, I bought a $40 Philips Sonicare and a $45 WaterPik. It all worked like a charm. Definitely two of my best purchases in recent years.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 10:57:16 AM »
I've been using a Waterpick for 8 years now.  Back before I started, I flossed all the time but found my gums were still bleeding (diabetes doesn't help).  No matter how much I flossed it didn't help.  The pockets were like 5 instead of normal 2-3.  I then got a Waterpick and I've had 2-3 ever since.   The jetted water gets down into the pockets and blasts out the bacteria allowing hte gums to re-adhere to the tooth.  I figure the floss was just compacting the bacteria down further into the pocket each time. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 11:57:19 AM by JenniferW »

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 11:47:29 AM »
Electric toothbrush + water pik == WAYYYY cleaner better healthier teeth.

coffeefueled

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 12:26:45 PM »
I have a sonicare because my dentist said it would be gentler on my gums. I had some gum recession from brushing with my regular toothbrush (apparently brushing too hard is a common problem). I bought a sonicare at Costco. My checkups the last few years have been much better and the gum recession has stopped.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2019, 12:52:31 PM »
Has anyone tried the Quip electric toothbrush? It's $25 and you can get a replacement head sent to your house every 3 months for $5 including shipping. I am only 29 with a lot of cavities despite regular brushing and flossing and wonder if it's worth the upgrade to electric. If the Quip brand is good, it seems like a better cost long-term than something like Sonicare.

The 585

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 03:01:10 PM »
I have a sonicare because my dentist said it would be gentler on my gums. I had some gum recession from brushing with my regular toothbrush (apparently brushing too hard is a common problem). I bought a sonicare at Costco. My checkups the last few years have been much better and the gum recession has stopped.

I had the same issue with brushing too hard. Never knew I had gum recession until I got a new dentist. Bought a Sonicare and haven't gone back to a manual toothbrush since.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2019, 03:49:26 PM »
i bought mine not thru dentist.  but yes, they are 10x better
and ours have lasted maybe 6-7 years

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2019, 05:50:39 PM »
My wife and I got a 2-pack of Braun electric toothbrushes from Costco for $80 about 18 months ago. I'm 35 and wish I would have hopped on the electric toothbrush bandwagon many years ago. The dental hygienist cleaning my teeth has noticed a marked improvement in plaque build up since I started using it. She said I could probably do a cleaning every 12 months instead of every 6 if my teeth continue to be this good.

Get one with the 2 minute timer and 30 second intervals. Takes all the guess work out of making sure all the teeth get adequate coverage.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2019, 05:50:50 PM »
This thread is making me happy.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2019, 06:08:50 PM »
When I got my electric toothbrush it was so effective that my dental hygienist moved my cleanings from every 6 months to every 9 months.  It buzzed every 30 seconds so my teeth got  properly brushed.  When it died I bought a battery operated toothbrush at the pharmacy.  It has the same cleaning motion, and I make sure (use a timer) that every quadrant gets its 30 seconds plus.  I am still on a 9 month cleaning schedule.

cl_noll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2019, 07:14:32 PM »
SKIP THE OVERPRICED DENTIST TOOTHBRUSH!  You do not need to pay more than $40, TOPS, to have an electric toothbrush blast your teeth clean.

I bought an new, opened-box return Sonicare 2 off ebay (they have tons) for $16 after getting a series of cavities. NYT wirecutter recommended. I even used the head it came (seemingly unused??) with after sanitizing it in iodine solution.

It gets my teeth so effing clean, and my gums look healthier. Your oral health is worth it, and in all likelihood it will save you money on dentist bills, pain, and suffering down the road.

It does everything you need a brush to do with a long lasting battery. More expensive models are mostly marketing fluff. It tickled at first, but by the third use I was used to it.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2019, 12:09:33 AM »
SKIP THE OVERPRICED DENTIST TOOTHBRUSH!  You do not need to pay more than $40, TOPS, to have an electric toothbrush blast your teeth clean.

I bought an new, opened-box return Sonicare 2 off ebay (they have tons) for $16 after getting a series of cavities. NYT wirecutter recommended. I even used the head it came (seemingly unused??) with after sanitizing it in iodine solution.

It gets my teeth so effing clean, and my gums look healthier. Your oral health is worth it, and in all likelihood it will save you money on dentist bills, pain, and suffering down the road.

It does everything you need a brush to do with a long lasting battery. More expensive models are mostly marketing fluff. It tickled at first, but by the third use I was used to it.

Thanks, just got a used Sonicare 2 with charger and one sealed head for $17 (free shipping) off ebay.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 12:11:20 AM by JenniferW »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2019, 09:23:18 AM »
I really liked my Oral B electric when I had it.   I bought it after having some gum recession and dental treatment, on the recommendation of my dentist.
One area that changed was the 2 minute timer trained me to brush for longer.. two minutes is quite a long time.

After about 4 years, I needed to replace the heads again, and did not like the cost, and went back to the free soft toothbrush my dentist gives out.

My result -- I continued to brush once a day for at least 2 minutes (and sometimes a second time), and my teeth and gums never looked better.  Awesome.  I also switched to 3D white (Crest), which I think has extra scrubbers in it as well as the whitening.

TLDR:   So - my experience is that a soft manual toothbrush, for 2 minute brushing at least once a day, plus extra whitening toothpaste is far, far better than the electric Oral B.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2019, 09:47:13 AM »
I brush my teeth with a regular soft bristle toothbrush (with whatever the cheapest toothpaste at the store is) for about 2 minutes at a time, twice a day.  Floss maybe once a week.  I've gone ten years between dentist visits without cavities or other problems.  I suspect that some people just hit a genetic lottery for certain traits . . . while a manual toothbrush is fine for me, it's not for my wife.  Since switching to an electric brush she has required much less dental care.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2019, 10:32:25 AM »
Our whole family has switched to electric over the years. I can still remember the sensation of my teeth after the first time I used an électric. It was like the day I got my braces off and couldn’t stop running my tongue over my front teeth because they were suddenly so sleek! I hadn’t felt that clean ever.

For my kiddos we just started using them as well. My oldest has very little space between her teeth and we were told at the last de twist visit that we weren’t cleaning well enough behind the last molars. Both she and the baby tolerate brushing for far longer with the cool buzzing toys than the manual toothbrushes. They actually fight over them sometimes so we had to bust out to spare toothbrush from the cabinet so they could brush at the same time.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2019, 10:46:44 AM »
As of 3/13/2019 thru 4/7/2019 Costco will have the Oral-B Advanced Clean Power Toothbrush on sale and will be $35 off. Right now it is listed for $99.99. This is a two pack.

KyDustBunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2019, 03:21:34 AM »
I used to use a regular Oral B toothbrush (provided by my dentist with every cleaning).
Hygienist recommended I switch to an electric toothbrush but, at the time, they didn't sell them
(they do now.... "soft sell" as someone here mentioned).

Apparently, I was brushing too hard with my regular toothbrush and, as a result,
I was pushing back my gums and exposing nerves, making my teeth sensitive.

Switching to an electric toothbrush REALLY helped the situation!
The sensitivity I was experiencing was COMPLETELY gone in 2-3 months.

While we're on the subject, thought I'd mention that we ALSO bought a WaterPik water flosser
and loved it SO MUCH that we bought one for our parents and each of our 4 (young adult) kids.
We never got into the habit of flossing manually (just never gave it the priority and found it somewhat painful/awkward).
The water flosser is PAINLESS and it's unbelievable how much debris comes out of my mouth while using the water flosser,
even after I've used my electric toothbrush!

I have wires behind my front teeth to keep them from moving after having worn braces.
The hygienists would spend 10-15 minutes scraping these wires in the past to get them clean.
NOT anymore!   The water flosser keeps these wires plaque free!

I Highly Recommend both the electric toothbrush AND the WaterPik for everyone's dental health!
As they say, an ounce of prevention.....

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2019, 03:59:06 AM »
Ok this might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I'd go out onto a limb to say if everyone waterpicked once per day, dentists would have very little business.  That's how much I like the thing lol.  Saved me big time anyways.

Oh and my dad lost his top front teeth in his 30's and almost all of them by age 60.   My mom lost all her teeth as well.  My grandmother has also had extensive work.  So I don't know if I have bad genes or not, I was on my way to losing my teeth (pockets of 5 and heavily bleeding gums), but the waterpick really did solve my problems.  I really think I'll hvae these teeth until I die.  I'm 48 now.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 04:05:13 AM by JenniferW »

The 585

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2019, 09:42:55 AM »
For those of you who waterpik/waterflosser, is it done instead of manual flossing, or in addition? I've been told by dentists that I really need to start flossing more (I had the bleeding gums and deep pockets), but I hate it and only do it 3-4 times per week.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2019, 09:52:20 AM »
I suspect like other dental hygiene implements it depends on your mouth what will be more effective.

I use mine in addition to flossing, because my teeth are very tight next to each other and it's difficult to get even floss in between some of them. So mine's used more to loosen up food particles from the gumline, as opposed to preventing plaque on my tooth surfaces in between my teeth.

I also was an improper-technique brusher. Not only did I brush too hard I brushed back and forth instead of in circles, and wow is that a hard muscle habit to break. The electric toothbrush makes a big difference for me. I'm also one with terrible dental genetics so it's been well worth the money.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2019, 12:15:32 PM »
For those of you who waterpik/waterflosser, is it done instead of manual flossing, or in addition? I've been told by dentists that I really need to start flossing more (I had the bleeding gums and deep pockets), but I hate it and only do it 3-4 times per week.

I rarely floss with string.  Just the water flossing usually.  After I had deep pockets the flossing didn't seem to help.  In my opinion it compacts the bacteria and plaque down into the pocket making things worse, whereas the water pick jets out that plaque/bacteria from a deep pocket.  Dentists like to charge you for deep cleaning/planing when you have deep pockets.. they go down into the pockets and clean them out to have gums re-adhere.  Then regular string flossing is supposed to maintain that expensive work.. like $1200 if I recall for all 4 quadrants.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:19:31 PM by JenniferW »

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2019, 08:33:37 AM »
Just got my Philips Sonicare toothbrush in the mail yesterday.  Wow it sure is something.. about made me laugh first time using it.. I'm ticklish.  My teeth feel so smooth glossy polished now.. love it.  I guess they do work much better than regular brush.   I think it will improve my gum health as well as I feel it stimulating the gums like mad.  I don't know if it is my imagination or not but it seems like gums are already less inflamed and more tapered to the tooth.. bet it improves my margins even more.. maybe i'll get a bunch of 2's and less 3's.

civil4life

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2019, 05:47:50 PM »
A few years ago I gave it a try.  It makes a huge difference.  My dentist can tell the difference. 

The name brand ones have a bunch of bells and whistles.  The only one that I recommend that has a timer and 30 second interval alarms. 

I bought an off brand one off of Groupon.

I think it is similar to this one https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-sonic-edge-extended-charge-toothbrush.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2019, 09:47:46 PM »
Has anyone tried the Quip electric toothbrush? It's $25 and you can get a replacement head sent to your house every 3 months for $5 including shipping. I am only 29 with a lot of cavities despite regular brushing and flossing and wonder if it's worth the upgrade to electric. If the Quip brand is good, it seems like a better cost long-term than something like Sonicare.

Update: I decided to go for it and get the Quip. I haven't used Sonicare or Oral B brushes before, so I can't compare to those, but after one use it's clear to me the Quip is superior to my manual toothbrush. My teeth are smoother than usual, especially in a few harder to reach areas. (I have always brushed for the recommended 2 minutes so it isn't just the timer that's the difference.)

Though this is less important, it's also aesthetically pleasing. It's sleek and the case sticks to any smooth surface. I only have a pedestal sink in my bathroom so it's a huge bonus that it doesn't need a charging stand.

So if you can't find a cheap Sonicare and/or can't take the plunge on a used toothbrush, my first impression of the Quip is very good.

cl_noll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2019, 10:14:32 PM »
Just got my Philips Sonicare toothbrush in the mail yesterday.  Wow it sure is something.. about made me laugh first time using it.. I'm ticklish.  My teeth feel so smooth glossy polished now.. love it.  I guess they do work much better than regular brush.   I think it will improve my gum health as well as I feel it stimulating the gums like mad.  I don't know if it is my imagination or not but it seems like gums are already less inflamed and more tapered to the tooth.. bet it improves my margins even more.. maybe i'll get a bunch of 2's and less 3's.

Awesome. Glad to hear you're liking it and that you got the same good deal off of eBay! Hard to believe at first but a sub $20 sonicare really cleans just as well as a $100+ wunder-brush.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 10:40:22 PM by cl_noll »

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2019, 10:36:32 PM »
sonicare is definitely one of those purchases that I feel is well worth the higher cost.  I look at it as a good investment for my health, and that kind of thing I will no longer cheap out on.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 10:48:02 PM by HBFIRE »

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2019, 08:51:30 AM »
I love my Oral B electric toothbrush but I would never buy one from a dentist. Shop around. I got mine from Amazon.
This.

THIS is the toothbrush I use. I have had it for years, and it works just as well as the day I bought it. I have to buy "sensitive" softer brush heads for it, but when this one wears out, I will buy the exact same one to replace it. $50.00.

The last two times I've gone in for cleanings (once per year), the dentists I've gone to (because I change every time to take advantage of new-client offers at like $60/cleaning) have asked why I bothered to come in.

I also have a waterpik that I use about 2x/ week to really get in between my teeth. THIS is the one I use. $40.00. You can even put mouthwash (diluted) in the reservoir to get a deeper clean, which I do.

I would never go back to manual brushing as it's not great for your teeth and gums. But for the price, these two items will have you completely covered.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2019, 08:56:05 AM »
A few years ago I was put on a medication that caused dry mouth as a side effect, which kicked off some dental woes. My dentist kept pushing an electric toothbrush and I read a comment here (by pbkmaine, whose wisdom I trust on virtually every subject) about the wonders of the WaterPik.

With some grouchiness, I bought a $40 Philips Sonicare and a $45 WaterPik. It all worked like a charm. Definitely two of my best purchases in recent years.

Aww, thanks!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!