Author Topic: Got it free, but would have bought it?  (Read 6122 times)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
Got it free, but would have bought it?
« on: September 04, 2016, 01:45:29 PM »
Anybody here get anything for free, maybe as a castoff, and then after a while realized it was actually a pretty useful thing, maybe even worth buying?

I got a huge rice maker from a former boss, and I love it (in part because my not-fully-cheffy kids could use it safely). And a former tenant left a patio lounger behind, which encourages me to relax outside.

How about you?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Re: Got it free, but would have bought it?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 02:04:39 PM »
I did a 180 on the iPad mini (the generation from about 2 years ago). I rolled my eyes when FIL gifted it to DW. We already had computers for doing actual work, we don't need no stinkin consumer sucka consumption devices.

Well the size is perfect, it fits great in the hand, has a long battery life and well-supported updates. It's absolutely perfect for light internet browsing and firing off quick email responses. I still take a laptop when traveling because I'm a massive nerd.

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 02:40:35 PM »
One of our subleters left behind stainless steel pans - I love them,  but would never have bought them.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 04:57:40 PM »
I was given a Sonicare toothbrush.  If I knew then what I know now, I would've bought one years ago.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 10:19:20 AM »
Couples' 2-person sleeping bag. Amazing and always warm on trips!

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 06:48:06 PM »
I was given a Sonicare toothbrush.  If I knew then what I know now, I would've bought one years ago.

What is it that you know now that makes you say this?  My dentist suggested I get one, but $40 for a toothbrush?!  And you still have to replace the heads, for more than the price of a regular toothbrush....

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 07:12:58 AM »

What is it that you know now that makes you say this?  My dentist suggested I get one, but $40 for a toothbrush?!  And you still have to replace the heads, for more than the price of a regular toothbrush....

I'm not the OP, but my dentist had been recommending that I get a Sonicare
for years.  After 6 months of use, he complemented me on my improvement
without knowing I'd switched to the Sonicare.

Some people have great dental hygiene results without using the Sonicare,
but even with proper technique and timing myself twice a day (2 minutes
per session, plus flossing), I could not get the same results until I acquired
a Sonicare.  YMMV.  For me, it was an investment in my health.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 08:13:29 AM »

They clean very well.  $40 for a toothbrush over years and years is practically nothing.

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 08:24:41 AM »
An expensive stethoscope. When I entered nursing school, someone gave me a cheapo one. I thought it was fine and didn't realize how awful it really was until someone gifted me a Littman. No way would I have chosen the $100-ish one on my own, but if/when it needs replacing, I'll buy one.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 08:30:22 AM »

They clean very well.  $40 for a toothbrush over years and years is practically nothing.

In my experience they don't last that long. The charge drops off after a while.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 08:52:45 AM »
My friend gave me her iPhone 4s when they upgraded. I have no desire to upgrade, but having a mini-pocket computer can be handy, especially with all the free apps and everything you can do with it, I also use it for work and it has made my life substantially easier, so I would probably look at getting some sort of smartphone should this one die.

Ditto on the sonic care toothbrush for Hubby. I was not a fan though.

A really good chef's knife. You don't know how bad a bad knife is until you have something better!

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 08:58:49 AM »

Get the newer Li-Ion battery models. They hold up much better than the older (mostly NiMH) models. I've been using mine for at least a year now with no issues; I even travel with it occasionally, and it never runs out of juice (I leave the charger at home).

crazyworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 09:07:53 AM »

I've had the phillips sonicare for years (maybe 8?) - no problem with the charge.  The replacement heads do give me pause, but my dental cleanings went from 4/year to the normal 2 and those with way less build up, so worth it for me.  DH does not need it however, something about the mouth pH or something - if you have too much tartar build up, it may be useful for you, otherwise not.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 09:14:09 AM »

Get the newer Li-Ion battery models. They hold up much better than the older (mostly NiMH) models. I've been using mine for at least a year now with no issues; I even travel with it occasionally, and it never runs out of juice (I leave the charger at home).

I've had mine for nearly a year and I've probably charged it four times. It's holding up great (and it was given to me at an unknown age).

MuttIsMyCopilot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 02:15:18 PM »
I was given a very high quality thermal grocery tote years ago. It's really thick and has a sturdy zipper and nice cloth handles. It can hold a gallon and a half of milk, or a respectable assortment of frozen meat, or whatever. I thought I'd never use it, but I probably use it twice a week now, and I'll probably replace it if it ever falls apart.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 07:08:54 AM »

Interesting to know about the Li-Ion. I'm talking about the charge dropping off after around 5 years, not after one.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 07:15:23 AM »
A really good chef's knife. You don't know how bad a bad knife is until you have something better!

We've got a bunch of Victorinox knives from Amazon that are awesome. They are fairly cheap, still, but are delightful to use.

We got most of them for our wedding, but definitely would buy them.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 07:23:37 AM »

Interesting to know about the Li-Ion. I'm talking about the charge dropping off after around 5 years, not after one.

Sonicares are on Amazon for $24.95...even if it does die completely after 5 years, that's $5 a year.  Given that they go weeks between charges, the charge quality could drop to half and it'd still be perfectly usable.

Well worth the minimal cost, IMO.

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 08:43:27 AM »

Sonicares are on Amazon for $24.95...even if it does die completely after 5 years, that's $5 a year.  Given that they go weeks between charges, the charge quality could drop to half and it'd still be perfectly usable.

The $25 ones that I aw were handle only, without a head or charge base.  I bought mine as a two pack 4 years ago and love it.  I gave away the second handle because I didn't need it, then a couple months ago something disconnected in the handle.  I bought one of the $25 handles on Amazon to use with my charger and heads. 

They make your gums/teeth feel a bit weird for the first week, but I think it's been completely worth it.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 09:00:42 AM »

The $25 ones that I aw were handle only, without a head or charge base.  I bought mine as a two pack 4 years ago and love it.  I gave away the second handle because I didn't need it, then a couple months ago something disconnected in the handle.  I bought one of the $25 handles on Amazon to use with my charger and heads. 

They make your gums/teeth feel a bit weird for the first week, but I think it's been completely worth it.
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Sonicare-Electric-Rechargeable-Toothbrush/dp/B00QZ67ODE  :)

I agree, the first few days were really, really weird.  I got used to it fairly quickly, though.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 11:02:24 AM »

Yes!  I won a $150 Henckels knife in a contest.  I gave away three other knives because I stopped using them.  I'm planning to buy a good vegetable knife now.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 12:03:08 PM »
I was given a very high quality thermal grocery tote years ago. It's really thick and has a sturdy zipper and nice cloth handles. It can hold a gallon and a half of milk, or a respectable assortment of frozen meat, or whatever. I thought I'd never use it, but I probably use it twice a week now, and I'll probably replace it if it ever falls apart.

Name?  All of my free "eco" grocery totes are starting to shred and tear, as they are all made of some plastic fake fabric and not real cloth.  Ideally the thermal tote replacement would be able to hold two gallons of milk, but any advice you give would provide me a starting point for hunting.