Author Topic: Got Any Good Ideas to Help this Guy?  (Read 2184 times)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
Got Any Good Ideas to Help this Guy?
« on: January 31, 2017, 12:06:58 AM »
I've been watching this YouTuber on and off since 2008.  It was a time-expensive indulgence, watching someone to play the latest console  games, but I was overseas at the time and couldn't be bothered with the voltage and IP issues.  Fast-forward to the modern era, his business model is pretty well defunct.  Probably a harbinger of all our jobs eventually, but in the short term he at least has some issues that I think some younger Mustachians could relate to and also help set him straight on.  If not, at least it is a case study in what to avoid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt2CBAAakQQ

So ever since YouTube views and revenue inexplicably plummeted for everyone across the board mid-2016, I've tried to be as transparent as possible in regards to the status of my 8-year-running YouTube business. Fora while, things picked up, but I've again found myself in dire straights. If you care, please watch this video which outlines the further steps I'm taking both in front of, and behind the camera, in order to save my YouTube legacy. But PLEASE, if you love my content on YouTube and want to see it continue, help if you at all can.

Dezrah

• Bristles
Re: Got Any Good Ideas to Help this Guy?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 04:26:52 PM »
I'm personally a fan of Let's Plays.  That sucks that he's had to deal with bogus IP claims.

That said, this guy's problems are his own fault at this point.  A car lease so expensive he couldn't afford the surrender charges?  An investment condo he can't sell?  He refuses to charge his parents rent?  He can't get a job because it won't support his lifestyle?  FFS.

If he took things slower and lived a true freelancer's lifestyle (healthy Efund, streamlined budget, etc.), he could take his time to adapt his model without feeling like he's drowning.  I hope he's able to turn his situation around.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 06:35:56 PM »
Yeah, he's dug himself into a non-Mustachian hole for sure.  He used to make good money and blew it thinking the income would keep growing...  at least useful as a cautionary tale.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 07:05:00 PM »
In the comments you can see that he is still making $1400 from Patreon and $600-700 from Twitch subscribers.  That doesn't include any money at all from Youtube and its ads.  So he is probably bringing in $3k per month at least.  He just needs to stop whining and cut his expenses.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!