Author Topic: Got a job offer, but waiting on another one.  (Read 7471 times)

toby2

  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 28
Got a job offer, but waiting on another one.
« on: October 16, 2015, 05:03:56 AM »
So I imagine this is a pretty common scenario, but I'm still not exactly sure how to handle it. My current job is a sinking ship, with my entire team either having left or in the process. It's beyond time to get out.

I've been interviewing at two places that would both represent good opportunities, and things have been going well at both. I received a pretty good offer last night from company A, but they are hoping for my response today. However, I am also deep into the process with company B, which is the position I want much more. All indications are that company B is serious, as I have gotten through 8 interviews, with more senior people as things have progressed.

How should I handle this? I would be ok working at company A if things never pan out with company B, but B would be my preference hands down. I just have no idea of the remaining timeline on B, nor will I get a response from them in time to satisfy company A's response timeline.

Would it be terribly bad form to accept A's offer, only to renege if B comes back with one in a week or two?

chasesfish

  • Magnum Stache
  • ******
  • Posts: 3381
  • Age: 37
  • Location: South Carolina
Re: Got a job offer, but waiting on another one.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 05:31:58 AM »
I think you should politely ask to have a couple of days to decide, tell them you've been at your employer for a long time and this is an important decision for you.

They will have deadline and its tough to know if its real or false.  They may need the position filled and have other candidates.  At the same time, all offers have tight deadlines because the more time that goes by, the more likely a deal dies.

You should also professionally ask Company B if they intend on making an offer because another company is pressuring you for a response.

toby2

  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 28
Re: Got a job offer, but waiting on another one.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 06:53:49 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. My concern is that I do not want company A to think I am indecisive or wishy-washy. I also have no idea where company B is in the process right now. I have an interview today (interview #8!) with a director, so I think things are getting close. So I'm not sure what an extra couple of days will buy me (especially if those days are over the weekend).

Kaminoge

  • Bristles
  • ***
  • Posts: 348
  • Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Re: Got a job offer, but waiting on another one.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 07:47:08 AM »
I'd agree with chasesfish. As recommended tell company B that you need an answer soon. That way at least you're giving them a chance to make an offer if they're close to doing so. That's how I got my current job. They requested a 3rd interview (by email). I replied saying I was happy to interview with them a third time BUT that they needed to be aware I was going to be accepting a job by the end of the week (whether it was theirs or some other one). I felt bad pressuring them but I also thought they needed to know where I was in the process. They responded (by email) telling me that they'd decided to make me the offer and the third interview could be to iron out any details before I decided whether to accept it or not.

I had the 3rd interview. Thought about it overnight and then accepted.

I'm a red panda

  • Walrus Stache
  • *******
  • Posts: 8009
  • Location: United States
Re: Got a job offer, but waiting on another one.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 08:15:16 AM »
I have been in this situation, twice, asked Company A if I could have a few days to consider the offer, and have called company B and said "I have a job offer from Company A. I would like to take it, but I would much prefer to work for your company. Could you please tell me where you are in the timeline, and when I may be able to expect a decision from you?"

In both cases I had a job offer from Company B in two days.  In one case, Company B said "Don't take it! We'll call you back very soon." I had a (better) offer within an hour.

I would not delay more than 2-3 days with Company A.

nereo

  • Senior Mustachian
  • ********
  • Posts: 11554
  • Location: Just south of Canada
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Got a job offer, but waiting on another one.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 08:23:27 AM »
I agree with Iowajes, and do not understand other posters' feelings of guilt, etc.  This is a business deal, so treat it exactly like one. 
It's fair and expected that you will have a set time period to accept or decline an offer from Company A.  In most cases this time period is a few days to a week.  It's also fair (and even a professional courtesy) to tell Company B that you must make a decision within a given time period. 

Right now you have the leverage - one job offer.  If company B is serious about you they will make you a counter-offer.  If you are unlikely to get the job from them anyway they will let you know.  Either way, it's best for all involved.
 Imagine the flip-side: you are the HR manager for Company B and you have a great candidate but your company moves a bit slowly.  A day or two before you're about to make the candidate an offer you learn that he/she has taken a position at another company without giving you a chance to make an even better offer.  Sure, it's your company's fault, but you also feel a bit miffed that you weren't even notified.

toby2

  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 28
Re: Got a job offer, but waiting on another one.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 08:44:44 AM »
Thanks for all of the great responses. Another variable worth mentioning, is that early on in the process with company B, I made a point that I was not actively looking for jobs, but that this specific opportunity is what compelled me to apply (true at the time). But that was over two months ago, and this came in more recently. I guess I just wouldn't want to now say, "actually I was looking at other jobs even though I said I wasn't."

Retired To Win

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1494
  • Age: 72
  • Location: Virginia
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
Re: Got a job offer, but waiting on another one.
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 08:56:42 AM »
... Would it be terribly bad form to accept A's offer, only to renege if B comes back with one in a week or two?

I did that exact same thing once.  Felt bad for about 10 minutes.

Do it.

Good luck.

toby2

  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 28
Re: Got a job offer, but waiting on another one.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 12:19:17 PM »
So I contacted company A and asked for a couple of days to mull it over. They're pressuring me to accept today. I find this odd for a Fortune 200 company. Is this typical?

Westoftown

  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 68
Re: Got a job offer, but waiting on another one.
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 10:29:07 PM »
Go ahead and accept A, with a start date in 2-3 weeks.  If you get B, call them back and tell them you are going a different direction.  It happens.  Trust me, you want to have the best job possible.  I took "A" my last job and didnt give "B" time to work through things.  Actually this has happened to me twice - and I wish I had waited for the B offers in both cases.   Since you can't actually turn down a bird in the hand - this is the best option IMO.

jeromedawg

  • Magnum Stache
  • ******
  • Posts: 3002
  • Location: Orange County, CA
Re: Got a job offer, but waiting on another one.
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 11:07:57 PM »
Go ahead and accept A, with a start date in 2-3 weeks.  If you get B, call them back and tell them you are going a different direction.  It happens.  Trust me, you want to have the best job possible.  I took "A" my last job and didnt give "B" time to work through things.  Actually this has happened to me twice - and I wish I had waited for the B offers in both cases.   Since you can't actually turn down a bird in the hand - this is the best option IMO.

I would probably do this as well, especially if company A was pressuring me that much and wasn't willing to extend out time to give to "think" it over. But yea, it's better to have something in hand than to forego it. As far as company B, 8 interviews is a lot. It must be a pretty high-profile or highly desirable position (not just for you but for many others)... They're doing their due diligence but it wouldn't hurt to reach out to them and let them know what's up to expedite things.

Sounds like you're going through something very similar to my situation. My company actually gave me extended/advanced noticed for June of next year, but I've already started looking - no point in waiting it out if I can find something better. Only gotcha is my current place is offering a stay-on bonus if we stay through the transition. And the way things are going, they may transition us out earlier than anticipated in which case we might still get the bonus. Then again, there's no guarantee we'll even get the bonus since we were recently bought out (haha by now most of you might be able to guess what company I'm at)

Anyway, good luck!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 11:11:51 PM by jplee3 »