Author Topic: Google Chromecast Issues  (Read 7841 times)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
Google Chromecast Issues
« on: January 27, 2015, 04:03:36 PM »
I'm having issues getting Google Chromecast to work and would love any tips.

It will cast one image and then freeze on my new HP laptop.
I can cast just fine if the page has cast built in (YouTube).
I can cast on my old laptop (terribly though, because the 8 yo laptop itself has many many issues).

I've tried:
Uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome and the Cast Extension
Factory resetting Chromecast
Using Google Chrome Canary (it actually has more issues)

I'm trying to get this working so my husband can watch the Superbowl w/o resorting to the sometimes spotty still Mohu Leaf.  It's his main objection to canceling cable.

Any ideas?

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
Re: Google Chromecast Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 04:51:42 PM »
we have the chromecast, but have only had it a short time so I don't have that much experience.  However, I believe that the chromecast only works with compatible apps and programs like hulu, youtube, etc.  You can use a HDMI cable to connect your computer to the tv to stream anything that is not chromecast compatible.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 05:05:28 PM »
No, Chromecast will actually cast anything on your Chrome browser - that's why we bought it last year (to cast the Superbowl using a buddy's new computer).  My old computer will do just that, albeit badly because it's so old.  My new computer doesn't cast web pages, including hulu.  It'll only continuously cast where the cast is "built in" to the app, rather than where you're casting the browser (including hulu).

But I'll try out the HDMI thing, worst cast maybe we can do that for the game, although I'd like the Chromecast to work properly.

going2ER

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 01:06:15 PM »
It seems like its more of an issue with the computer settings then with chromecast. Do you have a cell phone or tablet you can use instead of your laptop. I know when it gets finicky on us that sometimes using the phone works best.

mca1021

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 01:10:12 PM »
My major issue was the strength of my wireless signal.  Streaming would do just fine on the computer, but chromecast was choppy.  When I upgraded to a stronger router it got much better.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 01:22:26 PM »
I've always had problems casting webpages through Chrome.  With viewing webpages in general it's fine, but usually a 3-4 sec lag.  Whenever I tried to watch a video through casting a tab, the audio and video never sync'd up.  It was never really intended for this, but it's possible a possible better router/faster internet could be your solution.

Using apps with casting built in like netlfix, hulu, youtube, etc typically always work great whether casting from chrome browser or from a phone.

For watching the superbowl....can you not recieve the signal OTA with some bunny ears?

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 01:53:08 PM »
It seems like its more of an issue with the computer settings then with chromecast. Do you have a cell phone or tablet you can use instead of your laptop. I know when it gets finicky on us that sometimes using the phone works best.

I agree it's likely a computer setting issue, but I can't find much on tips to check the settings.  I tried taking down the firewall, but that didn't help.

Nope, can't use phone or tablet, because they aren't compatible with chromecast as they're apple.  My iphone is really old with it's own issues (iPhone 4, 3.5 years), and DH has a flip phone.  We have a newer ipad 2 (1+ year), but neither it nor the iPhone can cast webpages, only Google Cast Ready apps/sites, due to being Apple (Apple/Google rivalry).

Crimcster, mca1021, it's not actually a streaming issue I think, as it's not actually choppy.  It literally just freezes and never goes on to another frame.  We can try the Mohu Leaf and that's our backup plan, but it's much less than ideal as the signal breaks up often (we live on a pond, so we're not too elevated for one, for two - this week/next we have bad weather in New England).  DH is a Pats fan so having it breakup at times will make him pretty unhappy if it's at the wrong time.  He's hosted for years and year a superbowl party and this year because of not having cable we were going to go lowkey with just a few close friends who were asking after it.

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 02:27:48 PM »
It's pretty bad when I use my windows 7 laptop and chrome browser. It's actually already a bit finicky even using a Nexus 7 tablet which really shouldn't have any problems at all. Netflix is really the only thing that has been successful. But even google's play store and other google apps don't do a great job.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 04:09:59 PM »
I had to change a setting in chrome cast to get mine to cast a tab smoothly.  Did you try changing the tab projection quality setting to standard?  That did the trick for me, although the whole experience improved dramatically when I bumped my internet up to 6 Meg's.

ETA: is your virus scan possibly interfering? 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:14:07 PM by justchristine »

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 10:07:02 AM »
I had to change a setting in chrome cast to get mine to cast a tab smoothly.  Did you try changing the tab projection quality setting to standard?  That did the trick for me, although the whole experience improved dramatically when I bumped my internet up to 6 Meg's.

ETA: is your virus scan possibly interfering? 

Yep, I did try lowering the setting to the lowest quality and no change.  I'm not sure how a virus scan might interfere, but I can look into it.  Are you suggesting just turning the weekly scan off?

danb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 10:32:22 AM »
Have you seen this?
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromecast/211OwfuP_g0

I know you mentioned that you tried canary, but have you tried testing with chrome 39+?  I use "Version 41.0.2272.35 beta-m" and can cast just fine from a tab.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 10:46:11 AM »
Wait, the superbowl is available online? WHERE?

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 11:10:34 AM »
Have you seen this?

I know you mentioned that you tried canary, but have you tried testing with chrome 39+?  I use "Version 41.0.2272.35 beta-m" and can cast just fine from a tab.

I would assume that I have the latest, chrome 39+, but I'll see if I can version check when I'm home.

Past few years Fox has put it online, this year NBC will.  Note the ads are different.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/20/nbc-will-live-stream-the-super-bowl-for-free/

danb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 11:18:15 AM »
Yeah, if you have a newer version of chrome, the next step I would try is to disable all addons except chromecast,

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 11:52:11 AM »
Have you seen this?

I would assume that I have the latest, chrome 39+, but I'll see if I can version check when I'm home.

Past few years Fox has put it online, this year NBC will.  Note the ads are different.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/20/nbc-will-live-stream-the-super-bowl-for-free/

Is it available for Canadians?

ohana

• Stubble
    • An Ocean Lover in Maine
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 11:58:06 AM »
I have to agree, my Chromecast isn't living up to expectations.  Hopefully in the future it'll improve, but it's been a PITA so far.

Thanks for the info on live-streaming the Superbowl!  (And the ads.)  We aren't getting NBC on our new antenna, unfortunately.  You saved us from going to a bar and spending big bucks.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 09:34:22 AM »
Update:  I checked and we had the latest version of Chrome but was able to get it working finally when I download Chrome Beta.  I then did a bunch of troubleshooting to get the "press escape" message that was permanently on the screen, off the screen (couldn't get access initially to the Adobe Flash player settings).  Just in time for the big game!  Thanks all.

desrever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 10:52:36 AM »
Glad you got things to work. Sorry to see you ran afoul of these bugs.

Pro tip: for best tab mirroring performance, hit the full screen button on the content after starting the chromecast mirroring session; it should cause the content to start drawing at the tv's resolution (and not go full screen on your laptop which is probably higher res), this eliminates some expensive scales and copies. Then, switch to another tab putting the mirrored content in the background. This eliminates some other drawing operations.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 11:26:13 AM »
Glad you got things to work. Sorry to see you ran afoul of these bugs.

Pro tip: for best tab mirroring performance, hit the full screen button on the content after starting the chromecast mirroring session; it should cause the content to start drawing at the tv's resolution (and not go full screen on your laptop which is probably higher res), this eliminates some expensive scales and copies. Then, switch to another tab putting the mirrored content in the background. This eliminates some other drawing operations.

Thanks for the tip - I'll do that in the future!  (Although that wasn't why the escape button hit issue was appearing - that was appearing on the computer screen too.)

In the end we were able to watch it entirely on Mohu Leaf - quality came through great, but I was glad for the back up option of chromecast.  Next year I'm confident we can go back to hosting our regular Superbowl party.  And now I can cast Top Chef Boston to the tv, rather than having to watch on the computer screen because it doesn't come through on Roku.