Author Topic: good/local internet company on peninsula in Bay Area?  (Read 2349 times)

stringcheese

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
good/local internet company on peninsula in Bay Area?
« on: April 06, 2015, 11:01:15 AM »
hi all -- i hope some Bay Area mustachians can help me out. i'm moving from the east bay to the peninsula for work and am looking for a good (read: humane) internet provider. for years i have used a lovely company out of santa rosa called sonic, but i was sad to find out they don't offer service where i'll be moving (redwood city). :( i've done some research into other companies, and another company called astound said they won't offer service in my new building. the building is, it seems, married to comcast, and i wanted to check in with any Bay Area folks who may know of other companies/workarounds, because i would love to avoid comcast if at all possible. perhaps it is unnecessary to say so on this forum, but i have zero interest in cable TV and don't even own a TV.

thanks!

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
Re: good/local internet company on peninsula in Bay Area?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 01:44:35 PM »
So, Comcast has a monopoly on the cable lines so if you want cable internet they are your only option.  But if you can get DSL at your house, which on the peninsula is probably AT&T, then there is usually a DSL reseller or two you can go through instead so you don't have to deal with AT&T.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 09:03:24 PM »
It is a absolutely pathetic that we in biking distance of companies like Facebook and Google don’t have any decent options for internet. How about GoogleFI in your own backyard, google?

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:44:02 PM »
Check out Wave.  They're not exactly small / local, but they're not Comcast or AT&T.  That's something.

I've been meaning to switch to Wave from AT&T, but laziness has prevented me so far.

kissthesky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 04:05:39 PM »
Another option may be Etheric Networks. They're a bay area only company. https://ethericnetworks.com/residential-service-plans/ 
I have them and so far so good. I don't pay for it though (my employer reimburses me for internet) so I'm not super cost motivated. But it's fast and I haven't had any issues. Send me a DM if you want a referral and I think we both get $99. I mostly got them because AT&T / Comcast weren't an option because I'm in a trailer park and we're not wired. You can check their coverage map here, they cover most of bay area including peninsula: https://ethericnetworks.com/coverage-map/ Wave also sounds interesting, I'll give that a look. I think Etheric may be too fast/expensive for what I need when I FIRE. Or I could go full mustachian and get rid of internet entirely.. hmm... :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!