Author Topic: Good Work-from-Home opportunities?  (Read 7459 times)

JPWI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Good Work-from-Home opportunities?
« on: April 09, 2014, 10:51:34 AM »
Hey all,

My wife is a teacher and is currently hating it in a big way. She's decided it's not worth going back next year for another round of it.  We live in a pretty small town, so there are not a ton of local options, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of good jobs (rather than these scams you read about) that would allow her to work from home for a company or other organization that does not need to be in our town? 

Have any of you experienced or heard of honest, 'real', work from home jobs (that ideally pay decent)?

Thanks much

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Good Work-from-Home opportunities?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 01:21:02 PM »
I work from home for clients all over the United States. I'm a freelance writer (legal, business and tax). If your wife is interested in freelance writing, she can go to www.thewellfedwriter.com and www.makealivingwriting.com to get started. All she needs is a laptop and possibly a printer. I'm not sure if that's what you had in mind, but it's an option.

She can also pet sit, house sit, babysit, tutor, etc. in your home town.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 03:05:29 PM »
Online teacher for those online colleges maybe?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 03:11:02 PM »
I've started doing online tutoring.  It's fairly easy (as long as you know the subjects they need tutors for) and you can set your own schedule.  Downside is that it doesn't pay a huge amount... $15/hr or so to start.
They always seem to need tutors for stats, chemistry,  physics and upper-division math. 

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 03:21:09 PM »
The best one I've found recently is usertesting.com - do 15 minute tests (mostly testing the interfaces on websites) - get paid $10 for each test.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 04:44:16 PM »
The best one I've found recently is usertesting.com - do 15 minute tests (mostly testing the interfaces on websites) - get paid $10 for each test.

Even though I never actually completed a job for usertesting, I did get "qualified" once.  So I can't fully recommend them, but I have to say I tend to like them.

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 06:37:42 PM »
I know a guy who's made several grand from Textbroker, but he never sticks with it for long, because it gets really dull after a while.

Right now, all of my work from home income comes from blogging. However, it can take a while to get to the point where you're doing it sustainably.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 06:40:41 PM by CarSafetyGuy »

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 09:48:37 AM »
I know a guy who's made several grand from Textbroker, but he never sticks with it for long, because it gets really dull after a while.

Right now, all of my work from home income comes from blogging. However, it can take a while to get to the point where you're doing it sustainably.

I just went to the link in your signature and clicked on an ad for you.

Please paypal me my share. :-p

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 12:16:04 PM »
If she's a certified teacher, she could look into teaching for a cyber school. I used to work (not as a teacher, but writing content) for Free World U, which is one.

I work at home now for Leapforce (blog post on advantages and disadvantages: http://frugalparagon.com/2014/02/05/why-the-frugal-paragon-loves-leapforce-at-home/). I wouldn't suggest it as a career--doesn't pay enough, for one thing--but if she's interested in stuff like freelance writing or test prep tutoring, Leapforce can be a nice time-filler when other work is slow.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 01:36:18 PM »
Keep it coming, I love this stuff.

iwanttobelive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 02:27:14 PM »
There are two work at home companies that I worked while I was in college (I do not recommend them).

Teletech and LiveOPS.

LiveOPS you're a independent contractor. You have to pay for your own background test and a dedicated phone line, computer/internet. After the training, you take calls for late night infomercials/commercials and then try to sell cruise/magazine packages to those customers. You only get paid while you are talking to customers, not while you are sitting around waiting for a call. I ended up spending more money getting started on this, then what I ended up making overall.

Teletech you're an employee for a call center who works at home. It's part-time $8 an hour, no raises and no benefits with a set schedule. Depending on what company you are working for (Bestbuy, Western Union, ect) you do customer service, sales or tech support. I ended up dealing with extremely pissed off people and had to calm them down. As soon as someone hangs up you are routed another call. You have use their interface to look up customer information during a call, use email to customers, fill out reports about each call. After the first week 2/3 of everyone I started with in training had quit or were fired. New hires were added to the call in pool about every week. I ended up making about $200-400 a month because of the hours. They had lots of tech issues where the entire call center network went down and it booted you off the system and they don't pay you while you wait around for them to fix that, it happened several times a week.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 02:51:33 PM »
Just chiming in to say "I feel your pain, sister" to your wife.  Teaching is not what it used to be.  :/

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 05:48:08 AM »

I just went to the link in your signature and clicked on an ad for you.

Please paypal me my share. :-p

Ha, I'll send those 2c your way :D

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!