Author Topic: Good sunglasses for cheap  (Read 11741 times)

mbk

• Stubble
Good sunglasses for cheap
« on: March 24, 2014, 07:29:39 PM »
I got LASIK done this month and I want to get a pair of high quality (& sturdy) sunglasses for cheap. Doing some research, I find that one company owns practically all major brands and also the sales & distribution network. As a result, the prices are very high every where.
If any of you have experience with getting high quality sunglasses for cheap, could you please share it?

Thanks,

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Re: Good sunglasses for cheap
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 07:48:24 PM »
Ray-bans. My aunt is an optician and has been showering us with glasses, both solar and regular vision, "at cost" for years, so I'm a little biased because I've never had to pay full price for ray-bans.

But my, are these things are excellently made. I still have my first pair of aviators, and they survived my teenage years by having replaced the lenses only once. They've been dropped countless times, taken everywhere from swimming in the ocean to 13,000 feet peaks in the alps every year for over a decade. You can go into any store where they're sold and they'll adjust them to your face perfectly at no charge.

Yes, Luxotica is a monopoly and all that, and I too think that buying $250 gucci or ralph lauren sunglasses is for suckers. But a $100 pair of ray-bans is well worth it in my book.

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 09:50:01 PM »
Today at Costco they had some sweet polarized lenses RayBan looking sunglasses that came with a case.  Saving them for DS so they are still in the package.  But they look like quality. And $22. 

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 10:03:26 PM »
Would have to say don't buy a $50+ pair of sunglasses. If you're not constantly careful they could get stolen, misplaced, or broken. I bought a pair of LaCoste knock-offy sunglasses when I was in Greece for around 5 euro = $6.25 USD and have had them ever since!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:28:45 PM by Cwadda »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 10:20:51 PM »
I got my dad and my bf polarized glasses from here: http://knockaround.com/

Lightweight, but nice looking and polarized :)

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 09:30:38 AM »
Ray-bans. My aunt is an optician and has been showering us with glasses, both solar and regular vision, "at cost" for years, so I'm a little biased because I've never had to pay full price for ray-bans.

I am a Ray-Ban fan as well and they do hold up.  I generally have mine for 5+ years before something happens to them.  One pair just disappeared and another fell out of my pocket while unloaded groceries and I ran them over.  I'm sure I'd still have them if not for these stupid things I do.  Still, that works out to about $25/year.  I live at high altitude (9000 ft), which means that the UV exposure is much higher than at sea level.  I see decent sunglasses as a need more than a want up here. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 10:14:23 AM »
How is your scrimshaw?

mbk

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 10:34:08 AM »
Thanks guys,

I too am inclined towards rayban. I will see if I can get them covered under insurance.
Otherwise I will go to costco.

AtlStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 10:46:21 AM »
3M Safety glasses/sunglasses with UV protection from Home Depot. $8.95. They look good enough that my wife approved :).  They last about 4 years on average.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 03:22:22 PM »
I just ordered a $10 pair of Von Zipper sunglasses from aliexpress.com. I'll report back on the quality once they've arrived (feedback seems to be factory seconds - light scratches hence the low price).

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 12:41:22 AM »
So my order arrived (placed it last week). Quality is the best I've seen for $10 sunnies.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal

DTown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 10:50:02 AM »
If you want sporty sunglasses, I'm a fan of Ji Marti. They're basically Oakleys (real polycarbonate lenses, etc) with a different name and go for $25 or so on Amazon including a nice case and tether. They have several styles including polarized and non-polarized. If you check out some reviews, they're considered the best inexpensive shades around. I use and abuse them, including all sorts of crazy outdoor activities, and have never had them break. Now if I could just fix my nasty habit of losing them every 2 years...

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 10:57:43 AM »
You want tinted safety glasses from an industrial supply place. Stylish, comfy, anti-fog, UV-everything and impact, good optics, good durability.

Here are some examples (you can get them in the actual physical store too, of course - just google up a local welding supply place or Grainger):

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/safety/vision/eyewear/nemesis-blue-mirror-lenssafety-glasses-3000358?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=COy819HVsL0CFZNqfgod_nMAeQ (my favorites)

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/safety/vision/eyewear/spec-hellraiser-amber-3013855?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CMSYyuXVsL0CFUWVfgodaWUAEg (great for smaller heads)

-W

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 11:04:59 AM »
I used to buy those 2 for $20 mall kiosk type but they really suck.

so then I bought an originally $300 pair of Burberry sunglasses. I had two coupons and only paid $130 I think. man o man - they were awesome!

lost em in Puerto Rico and now I rock some Ray Ban polarized lenses. they are worth it to me. I also had LASIK and have light sensitive eyes.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 11:15:38 AM »
Like everything I wear, it comes from a consignment store (my wife's). Everything is high end (high end designer jeans, shirts, jackets, footwear, etc. from Prada, Etro, Burberry, Boss, and the likes) original and like new (and sometimes new with the tag attached), and usually 20% or less (if I can beg my wife enough to let me have it at cost) than the original retail price. This includes two pairs of Ray-Bans for about $25 each. Check consignment stores in your area, you would be surprised what you can find. If you are in Calgary, visit my wife's store and ask for the MMM discount :)

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 11:20:57 AM »
Check Goodwill, I think sunglasses were my first purchase from them.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 01:02:08 PM »
Harbor freight safey glasses... $3 a pair.

not polarised though.

econberkeley

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 01:25:54 PM »
If you are in Houston, pick up sunglasses for $1 at king dollar. They are all brand name sun glasses with original prices running from $10 to $30.

Gggirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 01:35:43 PM »
Some insurance plans cover sunglasses for lasik patients since they are prone to light sensitivity.  Not sure if you have vision insurance.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!