Author Topic: Good RX.. Any good?  (Read 8587 times)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
Good RX.. Any good?
« on: January 21, 2016, 07:42:48 PM »
I checked out my prescription on Good RX.com and it told me my local Walmart has my RX in stock for $4.00.. No coupon necessary.

Thats seems awfully cheap without insurance (its $10 WITH insurance at my local pharmacy).

Are these guys legit?

Of course when I get my prescription  I'll head to Walmart to find out..:)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Good RX.. Any good?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 07:47:01 PM »
Hasn't Walmart capped some generics at $4?
The Walmart website might confirm the price (good deal).
I've been surprised how cheap some generics are, but I haven't used Walmart.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 07:57:48 PM »
I checked out my prescription on Good RX.com and it told me my local Walmart has my RX in stock for $4.00.. No coupon necessary.

Thats seems awfully cheap without insurance (its $10 WITH insurance at my local pharmacy).

Are these guys legit?

Of course when I get my prescription  I'll head to Walmart to find out..:)

Not sure about Walmart, but Costco has a prescription of mine for ~20% of what I pay at Duane Reade/Walgreens here in NYC.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 03:00:55 AM »
Walmart not only has a list of generics capped at $4, but they list their prices generally:

http://www.walmart.com/cp/4-Prescriptions/1078664

ToeInTheWater

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 05:19:19 AM »
i get a generic cholesterol med at Meijer for free.

yes, free.

b

StacheDash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 05:56:52 AM »
I work for an organization that helps people with financial needs from time to time.  We have used Good RX several times over the years as people come for help with prescriptions.  Sometimes the organization pays for the prescription, but often the discount through Good RX means people don't need help from us any longer.  We have always had positive results with the program.

Allison

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 07:35:16 AM »
I love GoodRX.  I am on a depression/anxiety med that without insurance is $212 per month.  GoodRX brought the price down to $34/month.  It was a life saver and Target took it without question.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 07:53:39 AM »
It's legit. I use it a lot.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 07:58:54 AM »
Used it to get a manufactures coupon for my Rx. Went from $163 per month WITH insurance to $30. Kroger overcharged me (charged me $35) one month and I followed up with them as to why it went up when the coupon says "$30 with insurance". Kroger then admitted the mistake and gave me last month's free!

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 08:02:45 AM »
GoodRx works.  At this point, I have to make a chart to see how to get my meds.  One I get off insurance with GoodRx, 1 at CVS with their card and one is way cheaper at Walmart either with insurance or on GoodRx.  Crazy complicated and needs to be fixed.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 08:36:29 AM »
Thanks for this.  I'd never heard of Good Rx.

Apparently, I'm getting a heck of a deal on my asthma med through my insurance.  Through Good Rx it's $180 for 1 (w/ a Sam's Club membership).  I get 3 for $60 through my insurance.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 09:02:22 AM »
Walmart not only has a list of generics capped at $4, but they list their prices generally:

http://www.walmart.com/cp/4-Prescriptions/1078664

Awesome.. This is what I was looking for yesterday but didn't find.

MoneyRx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »
Since this is my area of expertise, I thought I would add a few things:

If you use a 3rd party coupon (ie GoodRx or any of the others out there), what you pay will NOT go towards your insurance deductible or out of pocket maximum. So if you have other healthcare expenditures and are counting on meeting your deductible/maximum out of pocket, keep that in mind.

If you use insurance, your copay will generally be the same anywhere you go unless:
1. The medication costs less than your copay (this is the example from the OP, where WalMart's cash price is lower than the $10 generic copay from insurance)
2. You have a coinsurance rather than a copay. Coinsurance is based on a % of the cost (ie you pay 10% for generics, 20% for brand, etc.). This is meant for the consumer to feel the price of the drug, rather than "all generics are $10" This would be a case where it would be beneficial to look at the price at different pharmacies. Although, even if you have a copay, the difference in price IS charged on the back end to your insurance company, and eventually comes back around in the form of premium increases. DO NOT start samples of a medication without first checking what the medication will cost once the sample runs out.

If you ever get prescribed a brand name medication, I would always recommend first seeing if there is a more cost-effective generic option to try first (Checking to see if there is a generic of the medication you were prescribed, but ALSO seeing if there is something similar for what you are trying to treat). If you still have to fill a brand name medication, check the manufacturer's website (can usually be reached by going to www.(brand name of your drug).com or doing a quick google search) for a coupon card, most brand name medications will have some form. Do keep in mind, however, that the manufacturer copay assistance may not last forever and you may eventually have to pay the full copay/coinsurance that your insurance charges.

One last thing is that if you are using multiple pharmacies, be sure to inform the pharmacist of all medications you are taking because they will NOT have record of the medications you are filling at a different pharmacy. This will allow the pharmacist to check for the safety and potential interactions of all of your medications.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 10:33:14 AM by MoneyRx »

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 01:18:27 PM »
Since this is my area of expertise, I thought I would add a few things:

If you use a 3rd party coupon (ie GoodRx or any of the others out there), what you pay will NOT go towards your insurance deductible or out of pocket maximum. So if you have other healthcare expenditures and are counting on meeting your deductible/maximum out of pocket, keep that in mind.

If you use insurance, your copay will generally be the same anywhere you go unless:
1. The medication costs less than your copay (this is the example from the OP, where WalMart's cash price is lower than the $10 generic copay from insurance)
2. You have a coinsurance rather than a copay. Coinsurance is based on a % of the cost (ie you pay 10% for generics, 20% for brand, etc.). This is meant for the consumer to feel the price of the drug, rather than "all generics are $10" This would be a case where it would be beneficial to look at the price at different pharmacies. Although, even if you have a copay, the difference in price IS charged on the back end to your insurance company, and eventually comes back around in the form of premium increases. DO NOT start samples of a medication without first checking what the medication will cost once the sample runs out.

If you ever get prescribed a brand name medication, I would always recommend first seeing if there is a more cost-effective generic option to try first (Checking to see if there is a generic of the medication you were prescribed, but ALSO seeing if there is something similar for what you are trying to treat). If you still have to fill a brand name medication, check the manufacturer's website (can usually be reached by going to www.(brand name of your drug).com or doing a quick google search) for a coupon card, most brand name medications will have some form. Do keep in mind, however, that the manufacturer copay assistance may not last forever and you may eventually have to pay the full copay/coinsurance that your insurance charges.

One last thing is that if you are using multiple pharmacies, be sure to inform the pharmacist of all medications you are taking because they will NOT have record of the medications you are filling at a different pharmacy. This will allow the pharmacist to check for the safety and potential interactions of all of your medications.

Great post. I am a pharmacist as well. The only thing I'd add is that if you want to know comparable generics for a medication, ask a pharmacist. Just don't ask us what your copay will be for them, since we do not have that information (but once you have the list, you can call your insurance company).

I usually tell my insured patients that GoodRx and similar are typically not worth bothering with unless your insurance doesn't pay for your medication. If you're in your deductible, your insurance will usually pay at least *something*, and GoodRx doesn't usually give you a better deal than that, plus the caveat MoneyRx mentioned that scripts run under GoodRx won't go towards your deductible.

Since the card decreases the pharmacy profit on the drug, some stores I've worked at won't take them at all or will only take them for medications where we still turn a reasonable profit. Nobody at a pharmacy wants to fill a prescription and lose money on it. Places like Target/Walmart/Kroger may be more willing since they make their money on groceries. 

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 02:50:07 PM »
Good advice.. In my case my visits to the Dr are usually limited to the once per year free (almost) physical plus this one prescription.

So the $10 a month I would be charged not going to my deductable is not usually relavent, hence the $4 (or actually $10 for 90 days) at Walmart is a screaming deal.

My Wife on the other hand always uses her duductable, besides I'd have a hard time getting her to switch.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 03:25:00 PM »
I've use GoodRx - definitely good for some things.

This year, however, I have an odd plan (ACA).  The deductible is the OOP max, so nothing gets paid until I hit the max, then it's all paid at 100%. 

There are two drugs I take that have "assistance" from the manufacturer.  One pays $100 toward the $700/month drug, and the other pays $50 toward the $200/month drug.  I pay $750, but it counts as $900 toward the deductible.  I'll take it!

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 04:31:58 PM »
Wow - this will help cover two very expensive drugs the husband takes that insurance doesn't cover.

Thanks for posting about this!! :D

kittenwhiskers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 09:52:26 PM »
Before agreeing to pay anything for expensive medications check with Costco (you don't have to be a member) and your local hospital's outpatient pharmacy. You can generally get the best prices there.