Author Topic: Good new(ish) Sci-Fi novel?  (Read 6116 times)

milliemchi

• Bristles
Good new(ish) Sci-Fi novel?
« on: June 16, 2017, 06:58:57 PM »
Hi guys,

I will be visiting a friend who always gets me a book when she sees me. We both like to read, but I've aged out of Sci-Fi, and she hasn't. So I'd like to get her a Sci-Fi book, hopefully a good one, and hopefully something she hasn't read yet, but I have no clue what to look for now.  Any suggestions? Lat year she got me "Altered Carbon'. Years ago, she enjoyed Harry Potter, although she should have been too old for that. :)

Thanks

Scotland2016

• Stubble
Re: Good new(ish) Sci-Fi novel?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 07:01:54 PM »
I don't know if it's new or even really considered sci-fi, but perhaps look into The Girl With All the Gifts.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 08:02:45 PM »
It's harder to find good science fiction than it used to be (or like you I'm in the process of aging out out it), but "The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet" is definitely newish and the favorite book I've read in that genera in the last year or so. It's definitely space opera though. If she's more into near future science fiction, then a book I'd recommend is called "The Big Sheep."

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 08:05:52 PM »
These two were excellent.

Change Agent - Daniel Suarez

Waypoint Kangaroo - Curtis C. Chen

FIreSurfer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 08:13:11 PM »
Have you read 'Ancillary Justice'
Told from the perspective of a spaceship that is female -
Will rewrite your idea of "sci-fi"
I think she's written a second one too----

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 08:17:48 PM »
Peter Watts - Starfish
Paolo Bacigalupi - The Windup Girl

. . . both are excellent sci-fi, a little dark, and not dated.

respond2u

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 08:42:53 PM »
I read a lot and I really dislike it when people buy books for me.

Instead, get her a gift card for Amazon and suggest some titles.

--

You mentioned Harry Potter, which is more fantasy than sci-fi, and the two don't necessarily mix.

For fantasy, I don't have much new stuff to recommend (most seem to be rehashing tolkien and/or learned to draw things out into 20 volume sets in which not much happens). Maybe Brian Sanderson?

For sci-fi--

Ancillary Justice (mentioned earlier) is the first in a good series.

The Union Station series (https://www.amazon.com/Union-Station/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AUnion%20Station) is light-hearted fun.

--
But like I said, I'd give her the gift card with a list of options and let her chose.

milliemchi

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 08:57:05 PM »
She's overseas, so no gift cards. Besides, she chooses books for me, I want to return the favor.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 08:59:45 PM »
FWIW, I've always enjoyed having someone buy me a book . . . it has exposed me to a lot of stuff that I enjoyed but probably wouldn't have otherwise discovered.

tthree

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 09:02:01 PM »
The Silo Series by Hugh Howey.  Wool is the first book in the three book series.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 10:34:52 PM »
It's fantasy, not sci-fi, but try the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix. That series itself is not necessarily new, but some new books came out for it in the last few years - Clariel and Goldenhand.

Order to read the series in:
Sabriel
Lirael
Abhorsen
Across the Wall (optional - a short story collection and includes an Abhorsen series sidestory)
Clariel
Goldenhand
To Hold the Bridge (optional - another short story collection and has an Abhorsen series sidestory)

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 11:35:35 PM »
Neal Stephenson has a new book out (I mean really new, this week). He had a co-author and apparently it is a bit lighter than his usual fare. (Still good and long, though!) I have it on hold at both the libraries I have access to.

A bit older, but still fairly recent...what about Blackout and All Clear by Connie Willis? (They are really two parts of the same book, don't just get one.)

John Scalzi had a new book this spring, The Collapsing Empire, which is more of a space opera. I read the first chapter and really liked it.

This is somewhere in between fantasy and science fiction (I don't recall that there is magic, but there are goblins and elves), but The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison was one of my favorite books read last year.

milliemchi

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 11:59:52 PM »
I looked around for blurbs on the great suggestions you guys sent, and went with 'Ancillary Justice'. Thanks everyone for your help.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 04:46:55 AM »
Neal Stephenson has a new book out (I mean really new, this week). He had a co-author and apparently it is a bit lighter than his usual fare. (Still good and long, though!) I have it on hold at both the libraries I have access to.

Thanks for mentioning this - I hadn't realized!  I really liked Seveneves and recommended it to a friend who also really liked it, but it's definitely a bit long.  =)

Lepetitange3

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 05:31:48 AM »
Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series.  It's a bit sci-fi  and a bit fantasy, but it all comes together really well.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 10:26:21 AM »

Thanks for mentioning this - I hadn't realized!  I really liked Seveneves and recommended it to a friend who also really liked it, but it's definitely a bit long.  =)

The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. I pre-ordered a signed copy from Barnes & Noble, which arrived yesterday. I'm 100 pages into it and love it so far. I read that first bit this morning, but then my wife called to tell me she's bringing her cousins from the Philippines back to the house, so I've been in full cleaning mode since 10am. Not the relaxing reading day I had in mind :)

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 10:41:13 AM »
I hear good things about Borne by Jeff Vandermeer (just published). I also like China Mieville, but I'm not sure what to recommend: Embassy Town maybe. I also enjoyed The Three Body Problem series by Cixin Liu (haven't read the last one yet).

SF is my summer escapist reading, but it is hard to find the well-written stuff. Not sure why that is...maybe the authors focus too much on the cool ideas and less on style.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 04:07:43 PM »
Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series.  It's a bit sci-fi  and a bit fantasy, but it all comes together really well.

+1. Fun extras/additions  to the series as well.

spicykissa

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 09:36:47 PM »
I hear good things about Borne by Jeff Vandermeer (just published). I also like China Mieville, but I'm not sure what to recommend: Embassy Town maybe. I also enjoyed The Three Body Problem series by Cixin Liu (haven't read the last one yet).

I was also going to suggest "The Three Body Problem". Glad the OP found something workable. I've added a bunch of books to my reading list based on this awesome thread! I hope I never "age out" of sci-fi, whatever that means. :(

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 08:26:49 AM »
For Science Fiction the Expanse novels are good.

dryer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 08:33:26 AM »
I have read several of John Scalzi's books lately (both old man's war series and stand alone books) and have thoroughly enjoyed them.  Sci-fi books with also quite a bit of humor that make for enjoyable reads.

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 11:33:00 AM »
The Silo Series by Hugh Howey.  Wool is the first book in the three book series.

+1. Came here to suggest this.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 12:02:51 PM »
My two favorite standalone Sci-Fi of Recent Memory:

"Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline (2011)
"Lord of All Things" by Andreas Eschbach (2011)

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 02:05:26 PM »

+2. Fascinating stuff.

Also, just started on a new series called the Themis Files.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 03:13:41 PM »
I enjoyed the MadAddam trilogy by Margaret Atwood. I think they are fairly recent. The first book is called Oryx and Crake
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 03:21:18 PM by MrsWolfeRN »

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 03:52:16 PM »
The Martian

* mic drop *

I don't drop the mic often, but the book The Martian is awesome, it's sci-fi, it came out of nowhere from an unknown author, and it's awesome.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 03:56:37 PM »
Well it's not a new book by any stretch, it is probably one of my favorite scifi books ever, and it's a fairly obscure author so likely is new to her.  The Demon Breed by James Schmitz. It was published in 1955.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 05:06:39 PM »
You got some great recommendations already I love Atwood and Cline.

Neal Stephenson's last book SevenEves was great. I'm not even a big Sci Fi fan and have read all of these. I bet it will be hard to find something she hasn't read.

shawndoggy

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 05:19:23 PM »
I really enjoyed the silo series too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 06:06:58 PM »
The Martian

* mic drop *

I don't drop the mic often, but the book The Martian is awesome, it's sci-fi, it came out of nowhere from an unknown author, and it's awesome.

While I'd agree that it was a (very) fun read, about 3/4 of the way through the book is starts to feel a tad repetitive.  Good book, but I felt like it could have been a truly great book with slightly better planning beforehand.

nalor511

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2017, 06:21:40 PM »
Trilogy by Pierce Brown, Red Rising (1), Golden Son (2), Morning Star (3)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2017, 06:30:53 PM »
Vatta's War series by Elizabeth Moon was enjoyable.

Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson.

(Oh, heck, damn near anything by Sanderson.)

Caine Riordan series by Charles Gannon

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula LeGuin
The Dispossessed by Ursula LeGuin

The Sparrow followed by Children of God by Mary Doria Russell

When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger

emiloots

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2017, 08:17:18 PM »

+1 

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2017, 08:38:52 PM »
I don't know if it's new or even really considered sci-fi, but perhaps look into The Girl With All the Gifts.

Watched the movie recently, it was pretty good.

I like anything by Timothy Zahn, and have been reading The Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson.