Author Topic: Good DIY tape/grip type product, to make tablets and devices easier to hold  (Read 3551 times)

kiwi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • SQL Practice Problems
I got a cheap Amazon Fire tablet (and rooted it, so it runs Android). It's a little slippery when holding it, though, so I've experimented with things to make it grippier.

I'd like something like this - http://www.egrips.com/ - but they're not cheap.

What I'm using now is a foam flesh-colored band-aid type tape that we happened to have at home. It's grippy enough, but not at all attractive looking.

Any thoughts?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Skateboard tape is super grippy and pretty cheap.  Just cut little strips of it.  It's black, it'll blend in.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
the shelf liner material that looks like a  hole-y yoga mat?

adhesive craft foam?

snogirl

• Bristles
Hockey stick tape

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Hockey stick tape

Hockey tape is kinda gummy.  My experience using it for a long period of time is that sweat from your hands will make the gummy black adhesive come through the cloth tape and get all over everything.

snogirl

• Bristles
Hockey stick tape

Hockey tape is kinda gummy.  My experience using it for a long period of time is that sweat from your hands will make the gummy black adhesive come through the cloth tape and get all over everything.

oh yeah sticky forgot.
Ok than plasti dip that grip.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
Scribble with a black Sharpie on the flesh-colored tape you already have?

kiwi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • SQL Practice Problems
Ooohh....love the adhesive craft foam idea, I think that would be really cheap. Also the shelf liner...sounds like something you might be able to get at the dollar store.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
It's not cheap, but there's also a fun material called "sugru"  it's like a self curing rubberized modeling compound.  IDK if that's the best description.  It might be more permanent than you want, but it's kinda fun stuff...

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
I cringe at buying something for a single use, but there is a version of Plasti-dip called Super Grip.
I think you could easily make your own; Spray a coat of plasti-dip,  sprinkle with fine sand,  salt, corn-startch or whatever and spray another coat (or 2) of the plasti-dip.
I'd try it on something else before doing the tablet.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
Could you not just get a cheap silicone cover from ebay?  I have always preferred silicone covers for my phones for the grippiness, especially as phones got bigger and bigger.