Author Topic: Good cheap places to eat in Charlottesville VA?  (Read 3991 times)

norabird

• Walrus Stache
Good cheap places to eat in Charlottesville VA?
« on: October 08, 2015, 02:30:08 PM »
I'll be in Charlottesville VA for just two days for a work event, so "cheap" here means "something that is a reasonable travel expense". Cool farm to table places? Places with great biscuits and fried chicken? What should I eat down there?

Thanks y'all!

civil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Good cheap places to eat in Charlottesville VA?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 05:11:24 PM »
I am pretty cheap when it comes to eating out. Like beyond frugal. Keep that in mind :) Here's where I'd go.

People are crazy about Bodos Bagels. Tasty and cheap.
Guadalajara. Mexican food.
I love Revolutionary Soup. Locally sourced sandwiches and soups. Not the cheapest (I pay around $10 there) but well within business travel allowance.
For REALLY cheap food, we used to go to Saigon Cafe. Haven't been in a few years but that place was dirt cheap. Not a place I would recommend for your two day trip though.
There is a farmers market on Saturdays that is worth a visit. The transit center downtown can validate parking at the Water St garage near the market.

There's got to be someplace on the Corner worth going these days, but I haven't been there lately.

Matt_D

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 05:29:52 PM »
I'll be in Charlottesville VA for just two days for a work event, so "cheap" here means "something that is a reasonable travel expense". Cool farm to table places? Places with great biscuits and fried chicken? What should I eat down there?

Thanks y'all!

Interesting - I'm headed there for a 2-day conference the week after next. Also curious to see answers!

squatman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 07:06:55 PM »
I was born for this topic. Any particular type of cuisine? Some quick thoughts:

Burgers: Citizen Burger Bar
Mexican/Tex-Mex: Continental Divide, La Michoacana. I have never understood the Guadalajara love.
Farm-to-table specific: The Local, although it's not quite as good as the other places on this list.
Patisserie: MarieBette
Dumplings (super cheap): I've always been partial to Marco and Luca
Breakfast sandwiches: Bodo's, Ace Biscuit and BBQ
French for lunch: Petit Pois
Crepes! The Flat
Assuming you'll have a car, I really have to recommend Duners (it's maybe 15 minutes outside of Cville). Might be $50/person for dinner (that's like drink + app + dinner + tip), but it does simple sounding dishes very well. I still dream about their mussels. Fleurie is also sorta pricey but incredibly good, and I've heard great things about Parallel 38.

Charlottesville is a fantastic food town, so I could probably give twenty more recommendations if you'd like. This is also making me really hungry, since I haven't lived in Cville in a while.

Matt_D

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 07:36:22 PM »
Squatman - I'd be looking for dinner/drinks for a group of somewhere between 6-10, mid-range and more casual than formal.

bballfreakunc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 08:10:00 AM »
I rotate between (all sub ~$15):
Thai: Thai '99 (best), Lemongrass
Mexican: Guadalajara
Burgers: Boylan Heights (best), Citizen Burger Bar
Kabobs: Sticks
Greek: Basil
Indian: Milan Indian Cuisine (best), Royal Indian Resturant
Ice Cream: Arch's
Breakfast: Bodo's

If you want to go a little more expensive (~$30/entree), I'd do the Local.

bballfreakunc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 08:13:05 AM »
In terms of Dinner and Drinks, I'd probably recommend Boylan Height's or Citizen Burger Bar. The Local (http://thelocal-cville.com/index.php/menus) also has a really good atmosphere for dinner and drinks but they sometimes require reservations.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 08:26:23 AM »
Wow, great options! I am going to shoot for Ace's biscuit and bbq and maybe some of the more upscale places...I love ethnic food but don't want to waste my time down (relatively) south on things I can find at home! Thanks so much for the glut of choices. mmm.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 08:50:30 AM »
Best sandwiches:  The Bellair Market  http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g57592-d416723-r124054869-Bellair_Market-Charlottesville_Virginia.html

I think this is a Virginia thing to have a nice cafe appended to a gas station since there seem to be several of them, but I swear to you this one is the best!  It is very popular, offering really fresh options using Boar's Head meat.  When I was in school at UVA, I used to get the "Jefferson" sandwich all the time (maple turkey, cheddar, cranberry relish, lettuce & herb mayonnaise on French bread).  If I were there for a weekend, there is no doubt I'd be sure to put this in my lunch line-up.  Now I miss C'ville!

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 08:53:01 AM »
Brookville is farm-to-table and usually very good (but $$$). Several other places at least dabble in it as well.

Citizen Burger is indeed awesome, but be prepared to wait for a table, especially on weekends.

I haven't been there in a while, but I'm wondering if Boylan Heights might be a little too college-y in atmosphere? If that matters.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 08:54:41 AM »
Assuming you'll have a car, I really have to recommend Duners (it's maybe 15 minutes outside of Cville). Might be $50/person for dinner (that's like drink + app + dinner + tip), but it does simple sounding dishes very well. I still dream about their mussels.
Yes, Duner's!  If you don't mind having a pricey dinner, this is EXACTLY what you're looking for in terms of farm-to-table Southern food -- they call it "a casual fine dining restaurant."  They do not take reservations in advance, so best to arrive by 6:30 p.m.  It is superb!  http://www.dunersrestaurant.com/

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 08:49:02 PM »
If you've timed your trip, take a tour of Polyface Farm, prominently featured in The Omnivore's Dilemma. If you're a Chipotle fan, eat at the one on Barrack's Road, which featured carnitas (pork) from Polyface Farm. It's not better or worse, just different taste.

Otherwise go to The Corner. Find the White Spot. Eat at least one Gus Burger.

squatman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 06:38:30 PM »
Brookville is farm-to-table and usually very good (but $$$). Several other places at least dabble in it as well.

Citizen Burger is indeed awesome, but be prepared to wait for a table, especially on weekends.

I haven't been there in a while, but I'm wondering if Boylan Heights might be a little too college-y in atmosphere? If that matters.

+1 on Brookville. Being collegey is part of Boylan's charm imo, but their quality has declined over the past couple of years. I'd much rather eat at Citizen now.

squatman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 06:46:09 PM »
Squatman - I'd be looking for dinner/drinks for a group of somewhere between 6-10, mid-range and more casual than formal.

Duners (menu: http://www.dunersrestaurant.com/menu.pdf) would be my top choice - you could go in a t-shirt and shorts if you wanted. Note - no reservations. Mas (tapas) and Commonwealth Restaurant and Skybar would work, as would The Whiskey Jar and Threepenny Cafe.