Author Topic: Good board game for 2 people?  (Read 16608 times)

happypup

• Stubble
Re: Good board game for 2 people?
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2015, 12:07:24 PM »
Seconding Fluxx. We also play a lot of dominoes, usually Mexican Train.

Yonco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2015, 03:48:55 PM »
Already mentioned, but our go to game is Backgammon. Second is Darts. <- Technically there is a board!

relena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2015, 04:02:24 PM »
for 2 players dh likes:
star wars: imperial assault
coup & coup resistance

inertia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2015, 04:58:31 PM »
San Juan is pretty fun with 2 people.  It is a card game technically.

My favorite game is Puerto Rico, but that requires at least three.

Powergrid can be played with two.

Stratego?  :-)

Actually there are 2 player instructions for Puerto Rico, but I much prefer it as a 4 player game.  In the 2 player game I feel like you spend so much energy trying to block the other person that it's just not as much fun.

daymare

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2015, 06:39:53 PM »
Race for the Galaxy is good with just two. We had to watch a video tutorial or two to really grok it. Be haven't had the chance to play with more than 2.

TGC (if you see this): Do you find that once one of you gets ahead, it tends to stay that way?  I was sharing this thread with my husband, and he was surprised RftG would be good with 2, since he found it unbalanced that way (ie, once someone gets ahead, it tends to stay that way for the duration of the game).

It's really funny to read the suggestions and be reminded of people's different preferences.  Some of the suggested games we find pretty boring for 2 (especially when compared with playing as a group).  And simple is usually a bad thing for a game with the 2 of us - we get bored soon if it's not super strategic and complicated.  And then most of the super strategic games we own, have better balance with more players.

That said, in case anyone does want suggestions for games that are good for families or groups that don't want to take 45 minutes to learn the rules of a game, we like: Hanabi (cooperative, you stack cards in order 1-5 by color but nobody can see their own hand, just those of others, and you take turns giving hints), Quarto (for 2 - similar to Othello or Go, different shaped pieces and it's connect 4 by height, color, hole/no hole, circle/square), and Bohnanza (super fun, basically trading/negotiating game where you plant beans and harvest for money - http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Grande-Games-RGG-155/dp/B00008URUS).  The first 2 would take <5 mins to explain, the bean game maybe 10mins, but pretty straightforward.

Misstachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2015, 07:13:58 PM »
We like Kingdom Builder. The board and objectives change each game, so it doesn't get boring, and it's a mix of luck and strategy. Fun with two or more.

We also like Agricola, but I started having actual nightmares about it - my subconscious did not like the whole feed your family or starve bit, I guess. It felt stressful!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2015, 07:31:23 PM »
For board games: Toys R Us and Walmart will have special buys as we get closer to the holidays. Some of the major game makers also issue coupons in the Sunday newspaper. If you match up the sales with the coupons you can get games very inexpensively.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2015, 08:03:51 PM »
Hubs and I have been playing a lot of "Gloom" just the two of us. We really love the story telling aspect of it though so it might not be your thing.

"Word on the Street" Really fun word game can be played in teams but works awesome as a two player, direct head to head competitive (think word game combined with tug of war) and you can get as competitive as you want with trying to distract the other player on their turn.

For a real brain burner, we like to play "Mr. Jack Pocket"

"DragonHeart" is a great two player but sounds like it is probably just a bit too casual for you.

Alenzia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2015, 08:09:49 PM »
I like Pandemic and Arkham Horror for cooperative games that are fun with two players. Arkham Horror will take a long time though.

theknitcycle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2015, 08:19:15 PM »
My sweetie and I enjoy Mr. Jack.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2015, 08:51:54 PM »
daymare - I'll be honest, it's been a while since we last played. I can't recall a trend RE: balance in RftG.

I thought of an additional sub-genre that works well with 2 (though perhaps better with even more) and that's "RPGs in a box" like Mice and Mystics and Pathfinder: ACG.

lithy

• Stubble
  • Drink Indigenous
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2015, 09:23:43 PM »
For the posters in this thread that like Carcasonne, you should definitely check out Cacao.  Works great with 2 players.