Author Topic: Good bike trailer for kids and/or groceries? Burley?  (Read 4697 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Good bike trailer for kids and/or groceries? Burley?
« on: July 05, 2017, 04:00:48 PM »
Hey guys,

Just quickly searching around here I've seen Burley come up as a pretty reliable brand for bike trailers (for both hauling groceries and kids) and also have read that they hold their value well and generally can be resold for around what was paid for them second-hand, etc.

My wife and I have bikes but barely ride them. I've been wanting to get out more with them though, especially for groceries and taking the kids to local parks, etc. We have a just-under-2 yr old and 4mo old so taking the 4mo old might be a bit of a challenge. But the 2yr old would love it, I think.

Any suggestions or should I stick to finding a used Burley on Craigslist? Also, what is the price range I should be expecting to pay for any given model? And what model(s) would you guys recommend?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:03:12 PM by jeromedawg »

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
Re: Good bike trailer for kids and/or groceries? Burley?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 04:23:37 PM »
Chariots (by Thule) are the go-to around here.  We bought ours used, kept for 5+ years, and resold for close to the same price we bought.   They recommend 6mos old to transport the little ones, and with a special insert (don't quote me on it - double check.)

Loved ours and would have kept it forever for groceries etc if storage space wasn't an issue.  Now that kids can ride their own bikes, we bought a Wike Bike trailer http://www.wicycle.com/index.php/products/cargo-trailers/wike-heavy-duty-flatbed-bike-trailer/.

Great for groceries, and I can fit two good sized Rubbermaid tubs on it for larger loads like returning bottles etc., but it takes up way less space (only 4" deep if I pop off the quick release wheels, and lean it up against the wall.)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:25:10 PM by ToTheMoon »

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 05:15:01 PM »
Chariots (by Thule) are the go-to around here.  We bought ours used, kept for 5+ years, and resold for close to the same price we bought.   They recommend 6mos old to transport the little ones, and with a special insert (don't quote me on it - double check.)

Loved ours and would have kept it forever for groceries etc if storage space wasn't an issue.  Now that kids can ride their own bikes, we bought a Wike Bike trailer http://www.wicycle.com/index.php/products/cargo-trailers/wike-heavy-duty-flatbed-bike-trailer/.

Great for groceries, and I can fit two good sized Rubbermaid tubs on it for larger loads like returning bottles etc., but it takes up way less space (only 4" deep if I pop off the quick release wheels, and lean it up against the wall.)

Thanks! Is the Thule Chariot the one that doubles as a stroller? That seems pretty cool especially for jogging (seems they recommend an add-on for that) They seem to run anywhere from $225-$240 for an older and single child models to anywhere between $400-$600 for what appears to be newer and or 2-seat models. Is that about the price to expect paying for these used?

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 07:28:17 PM »
Yes, the Chariot is also a stroller etc depending on the add-ons you choose.

Ours was a double that was a couple of years old when we picked it up, and came with the jogging attachment, bike attachment, infant carrier, bunting bag, and x-ski kit.

We used it only for biking in the summer (kids, groceries, booze runs) and to cross-country ski with in the winter.  We used a different stroller for around town as the double chariot is quite large for in/out of stores.

I want to say we paid around $900 (CAD) when we picked it up (was a smokin' good deal from a "rich" community a couple hours away,) and then sold it for $750-800 (can't remember exactly) about 5 years later.

If you can find a super cheap one with the frame in good shape, I believe you can order fresh canvas for them as well.  Good luck!

tawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 10:09:07 PM »
I use a Burley and I am very happy with it. We initially got an older Burley Cub for $100 from craigslist but shortly after we were given a newer Burley Bee by a coworker. Although the Cub was heavier duty I thought the Bee was substantial enough for California weather and groceries and have been using it ever since. I would not expect to pay more than $150 for either, based on craigslist results from when we were looking. Neither convert into strollers, and I haven't felt like I needed them to at any time.

I didn't start riding with DS until he turned one and could wear a helmet that would fit him, as this is my understanding of the California vehicle code pertaining to minors.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 06:35:16 AM by tawyer »

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 09:10:36 PM »
Hey guys,

Just quickly searching around here I've seen Burley come up as a pretty reliable brand for bike trailers (for both hauling groceries and kids) and also have read that they hold their value well and generally can be resold for around what was paid for them second-hand, etc.

My wife and I have bikes but barely ride them. I've been wanting to get out more with them though, especially for groceries and taking the kids to local parks, etc. We have a just-under-2 yr old and 4mo old so taking the 4mo old might be a bit of a challenge. But the 2yr old would love it, I think.

You might also think about a cargo bike as well. The cargo box of the bike we make could mount a child's car seat for that 4 mo old.

Running errands with a 2-year-old and a 3-month-old is primarily how our bike gets used at home... It's been almost 2 months since I've filled the gas tank in our car.

Here's a pic as an example:

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 08:56:01 AM »
We had the Burley D'Lite (https://burley.com/product/dlite/) before the kids outgrew it.

Really liked the trailer and used it a ton. Should be noted that towing heavy loads (2 kids + gear) is an interesting experience on hills and/or streets with subpar bike lanes.

Things we liked about the D'Lite:
* Suspension: Spring suspension gives just enough to keep kids comfortable on bumps and rough roads (pulled them once on my mountain bike on dirt roads). Some of the other trailers don't have this, which can make for a harsh ride for the kids.
* Easily folds: Wheels, hitch come off and store on the folded body. Great for bringing on adventures in other areas.
* Flexibility for different weather situations: Built in rain shield and screen. The screen keeps rocks/debris from hitting the kids while still allowing for airflow. Adjustable sunshield.
* Trunk: Good size area behind where the kids sit for groceries, picnic basket, etc.
* Optional accessories to convert into jogger and stroller. We usually kept the small stroller wheels in the trunk area mentioned above. Allowed us to ride bike paths to destinations, lock up the bikes and quickly convert the trailer to a stroller. Supper nice!

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 10:20:34 AM »
I should add: We sold our Burley for $250 on craigslist. Don't remember the exact age, but we had it for at least 5 years. We probably could have gotten more for it but wanted to sell it quickly.

In the SF Bay Area (not sure about other markets) you should be able to get an older model for around $150 (the older model doesn't fold away as easily, does not have suspension), whereas newer models run $250-$400 depending on condition, accessories, etc.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 04:48:02 AM »
I think it depends on the type of use you're expecting from it. Will you be going on long bike rides with them, over rough terrain where the suspension might be needed? Do you like the larger wheels each offers? How long of a ride will you be going on?

I got Nashbar's Kid Karriage II earlier this year:

http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10053_10052_556152_-1___

It has all the same features (less suspension) as the more expensive trailers, but it's tougher than the "cheaper" wal-mart trailers. My son loves it.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 08:18:49 PM »
There is usually a bunch of them on CL.  These things are only good for kids aged ~18 months to 4 yaers, thus the higher turnover.