Author Topic: golf  (Read 2872 times)

ryanht13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
golf
« on: June 09, 2015, 08:28:14 AM »
I really enjoy golf, but it is not usually synonymous with frugality. Any golfers out there? Any advice?

Terrestrial

• Bristles
Re: golf
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 08:48:31 AM »
Get a job where you have a marketing budget to entertain clients then do so with golf (for those clients that enjoy it) than by other means like dinners/sporting events/etc.  Thats how I play probably 75% of my rounds and it really is a good atmosphere to build a relationship, you're out for a decent period of time with minimal interruptions and can take your time getting to know someone without talking business the whole time or rushing to it like you might at a dinner/happy hour.

OR - if you are retired already or other wise have the time, become a starter/ranger a couple days a week, they often play for free or cheap as part of their 'pay'.  If you have a teenager or young adult living at home this is also an option, try and get them a job as a bag boy/girl or on the maintenance/clubhouse staff...they will get a job to make $$, you will get heavily reduced family rates, at least at several of the courses around where I live.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:51:56 AM by Terrestrial »

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 09:02:26 AM »
Making it part of your job somehow is clearly the best option, especially if you want to play mostly at private courses.

Then there are the obvious options:
Play at public courses. Walk rather than rent a cart.  Move somewhere that has cheaper greens fees. Look for deals on greens fees (around here there are tons of half price coupons to be had, especially for week day play, probably because the market is flooded with so many courses.)

If you want to play all the time at the same really nice place, then a private course might be an okay deal. But beware of fees that can ratchet up at any time. The one where I used to live had a monthly fee that wasn't too bad for people who played 5+ times a week.  But then they moved to requiring cart rental every time, and that jacked things up for the frequent playing walkers.  Private courses also tend to have policies that are antimustachian (like you can only have beverages you purchase from their roving beverage girls, or you have to spend $200 a month in their restaurant, etc.)

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 09:14:04 AM »
There is a lot of cheap golf around here. Rounds average $30 - $35 for 90% of the courses. I bought a coupon book for $29 that has 5 free rounds at 5 different courses, 3 of which I play regularly which means that I often play a round for $10, but it could be $6 if I used all 5 coupons. I always walk so cart rental is never a factor. Last year I played about 20 times and used coupons about 15 of those times. There are also deals in the shoulder seasons (spring and fall) to "play all day with cart" for $40-$45. We'll try to play 2 full rounds whenever possible.

The only time I pay "full" price is in the 2 or 3 tournaments a year that I play...normally $60 or so with the cart rental and meal. But, I consider these social events and don't sweat it.

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
    • The Rich Moose | A Better Canadian Finance Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 09:24:24 AM »
I love playing golf as well, but it sure can add up quick. Here are some things I do to save money

- Limit my play to about once a week in the golf season
- Golf 9 holes instead of 18 when you have to pay full price
- Golf during the week and take advantage of early bird and sundown specials
- Coupons, online specials, etc. (I have a few friends who buy those high school fundraiser coupon books but don't golf)
- Take advantage of a great bi-weekly package offered by a local radio station
- Walk always!
- Look for courses that are a 10-20 minute drive from the City
- Buy used clubs and other equipment (often online)
- Use a plastic wedge style tee, buy it once and use it forever because they don't break
- Take advantage of every opportunity to get free golf balls (corporate tournaments etc. and snag the golf ball giveaways from people that don't golf)
- Never buy booze or food on the course

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 10:57:04 AM »
Here's what I do when I'm trying to save money:

- Play 9 holes instead of 18 (I'd much rather play 18 if I had the time, though)
- Walk
- Sneak my own beverages onto the course if I want to drink
- Try to play at a time of day when rates are discounted

If you really want to play a lot of golf, I think a membership to a semi-private course would be the way to go.  I've thought about doing this myself, and if I lived close to a course that offered a membership I would do it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!