Author Topic: Going Engagement Ring Shopping Tomorrow - Tips???  (Read 8424 times)

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
Re: Going Engagement Ring Shopping Tomorrow - Tips???
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2018, 06:55:50 AM »
I recommend watching Blood Diamond - with your fianc­ée. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Diamond

Mrs. Toque was horrified, because we didn't know anything of this stuff until years after we were married.  She says if she'd known any of that stuff about where diamonds are from and how manipulated they are, she never would have asked for one.

Then you can go buy something not-a-diamond (and therefore much cheaper).

Toque.

MrOnyx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2018, 07:06:22 AM »
Ah yes, I believe I watched this a few years ago too. Terrible stuff.

Spoiler: show
The angle I was coming at when I initially mentioned disliking the diamond industry was also because I recall reading that all the world's supply of diamonds are owned and controlled by one cartel who keeps all of them, and only releases them at a controlled rate to ensure that the prices stay high. Obviously if they flood the market with these diamonds, the value would drop and so would their profits.

I don't remember if this was covered in that movie, and I don't have any sources if it isn't, but yeah. As I mentioned before, I shall not be purchasing real diamond when I meet MrsOnyx. If she's the real MrsOnyx, she'll understand and agree, I'd like to think!

edit: added spoiler tag just in case it IS covered in the movie.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 04:30:11 AM by MrOnyx »

Firehazard

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2018, 04:59:02 PM »
+1 Moissanites.  The new whiter material can be cut to hearts and arrows.  My ring is GORGEOUS!  I'm so thrilled with it.

jeff2017

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2018, 10:27:25 AM »
After further thoughts and discussions with SO, going to end up going the diamond route. Happy with the product and price and know she will enjoy it for many years to come.

Final step is likely to get the credit card referenced a few posts below as an easy way to save $500, if other posters have a better idea/card, please chime in. It's been a while since I've gotten a new CC, what is the typical time it takes to have the card ready to use once I fill out the application?

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2018, 10:45:24 AM »
+10 for moissanite.

There are a couple of brands, but Amora Gem (at BetterThanDiamond) seems to be a really great choice. Otherwise, Charles and Colvard is the industry leader.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2018, 10:55:14 AM »
I would estimate ~10 days from application/approval to delivery of the physical card.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2018, 02:08:38 PM »
I think moissanite is cool and I am thinking anoit getting one, but I have had a diamond engagement ring for decades. Dont need another one but I do like having one.

I am glad the OP talked with his fiance about stones. If she would greatly prefer a diamond to a moissy, that is fine.