Author Topic: going back to school at 27  (Read 3216 times)

Bearblastbeats

going back to school at 27
« on: April 22, 2014, 10:32:01 AM »
Hello all,

Its been a while since I've posted last so let me get you up to speed with my current situation.

I currently am working at my second engineering job as a CAD tech. Its been all right, but for the most part its been daunting.  I want to go back to school and get my BS. Would it be better to do that or stick it through at this company now and try to move up through the ranks?

This job does offer to go back to school, however where I would want to go back to school is two hours away from where I work. I would eventually have to move close to one or the other.

Or I can quit this job and do something at night while going back to school and just relocate to where the college is.

Suggestions?

NewStachian

• Stubble
    • VarsityFinances
Re: going back to school at 27
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 10:51:19 AM »
Tough questions. First thing is to ask what you want to get out of your school. The one that's 2 hours away - is that going to give you certain opportunities that a closer school will not? Is there a job you can get closer to school that might offer a working option and reimbursement for continuing to work while in school?

Quitting and taking loans (or paying cash) for a degree is a risky move - you're banking that you'll get a significant ROI either financially or emotionally over time. I've seen a lot of people go back to school because they weren't happy in their jobs... they didn't plan it out that well and came out from school with a similar job and a ton of debt and were ultimately less happy. I've also had friends get targeted degrees while working or taking full advantage of grants who catapulted their financials and happiness. Tracking the average salaries for your specific degree from that specific university is critical to figuring these things out.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 12:08:57 PM »
What do you want to get a degree in? If being a CAD tech is daunting, believe me moving up to designer doesn't make it any easier.

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 12:49:01 PM »
I current have an associate in architecture and civil engineering.  So I plan to get my bachelor's in science. The school is pretty cheap as it is and I'm needing to move within the next couple of months. I dont know what exactly I'll do but I'm sure I'll make a significant pay increase.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!