Author Topic: Go to interview?  (Read 2539 times)

Murse

• Pencil Stache
Go to interview?
« on: February 02, 2016, 06:36:31 PM »
I am looking for opinions. I originally started out in long term care and left half way through training for my current job. My current job originally I was fine with nights but was told in the interview I would not have to work them but due to someone else leaving I am on nights (with no differential), I am only responsible for myself, I don't enjoy the job but don't hate it, and I have security around whenever I am around a patient (I have a dangerous population.) I am maxed out for pay, and have been here since October. I work 4 10 hour shifts.

My original plan was to work here for a year, then look for jobs in my ideal location (about an hour commute) where my friends and family live. After being put on the night shift with no end in sight I decided I would apply and see what happens. I also saw an opening at a local psychiatric facility that I decided to put my application into as well. Long story short they are the only ones who have gotten back to me and it has been 3 weeks since sending applications out. The email states they can make no promises on shifts, but they do pay differentials. Security is present but in a seperate building, nursing staff has to get hands on when a patient is not listening, I would be supervising LPN's and CNA's with a nurse manager I could go to when needed. I have been told they normally give a pay increase to new hires into the next pay bracket. They have two schedules, weekends which are 3 13hr20minute shifts with 4 days off, or weekdays which are 5 8s.

The main reason I am looking at this second job is to hopefully get put on a better shift, they ask that I bring 3 professional references which I won't have (I don't want my current employer knowing I'm looking and I don't want to use the long term care facility seeing as I left when I was training.) interviews are on a day off so there is no schedule conflict. Their pay scale goes about 5$ more per hour higher then my current payscale.

Reasons I hesitate-
1) I have already left one job on not so-good of terms, this would be the second one I leave.
2) I'm afraid I would be halfway through my training then get an interview in my preferred location, that would be my 3rd job hop
3) I would have to supervise staff
4) lack of security staff

Pros-
1) possibility of getting off of nights
2) differentials if I am stuck on nights
3) likely pay increase/higher ceiling
4) more upward mobility (many more nurse manager positions if I never were to get to move to my preferred location)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: Go to interview?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 06:42:45 PM »
I think you should stay where you are until you find a job with more pros and fewer cons.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 06:59:06 PM »
Go to the interview.  You don't have to accept a job.  Only bring references of people you can trust, not current supervisors.  Tel them it's confidential and if they don't like that, they are being unreasonable.

You may find things you really like about the job or find deal breakers you weren't aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 07:00:28 PM »
Always be looking for a better situation, and jump when you get a better deal. Don't wait.

they ask that I bring 3 professional references which I won't have
Professional references are people. Not jobs, but people. Did you make any friends at your other jobs, or the current one? Talk to them, explain you're on the hunt for a better gig, and swear them to silence. Peers are fine, in fact, they're preferable to supervisors, who rarely give honest feedback. Find three people you can count on to give you a good review. If you don't have three people you can ask to talk you up, then think about networking more in your peer groups and at your current employment.

Finally, always go to the interview. It never hurts to have a conversation.

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 03:08:10 AM »
Go to the interview!!!  Like others have said, you don't have to accept it.   At least you get some experience and get to see if you like the looks of the job better.