Author Topic: Go to a $100+/person charity dinner or no?  (Read 3098 times)

theglobetrotter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Go to a $100+/person charity dinner or no?
« on: May 29, 2014, 06:02:22 PM »
The daughter of our friends died of brain tumor over a year ago and everyone of us, friends and family, have either donated or did a charity event in her name. Crafty friends and I organised a Christmas fair last year which raised over $3000 in just 4hrs.

The latest event is a ball. While we can afford it (my husband makes enough for all of us), this event is way out of our budget. Besides the tickets we'll have to rent a tux for hubby, hire a sitter, and will probably be persuaded to buy a $20 (at least) raffle ticket.

I want to graciously say, hey, this is too expensive for us and it's not in our budget. But I kind of feel bad because technically we have the money and feel like we should support them. We do donate via other methods but they've just been $10 for a marathon or a half dozen cupcakes. I do want to do another fair, it'll be better and bigger too (that last one was organized in 4 weeks and this time we have months), but I don't want to be seen as not supportive and not visible. We love them and it's such a sad loss but this event is so expensive. I know a few friends, who are going, are feeling the financial pain but still sucking it up to show support.

What would you do?

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
Re: Go to a $100+/person charity dinner or no?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 06:05:52 PM »
Is this to cover a huge medical debt?  Or just as a sort of tribute?  That would affect how inclined I was to go. 

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 06:12:52 PM »
If the money goes to some sort of foundation conducting research or supporting patients with the illness, I'd donate money instead. If it's to cover their medical debt, I'd donate money instead. Either way the money would go to the root cause, not be used to cover costs of food etc.

But I don't really do big events anyway, so that may colour my decision. :)

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 06:18:18 PM »
If the money goes to some sort of foundation conducting research or supporting patients with the illness, I'd donate money instead. If it's to cover their medical debt, I'd donate money instead. Either way the money would go to the root cause, not be used to cover costs of food etc.

But I don't really do big events anyway, so that may colour my decision. :)

I agree with this.  You are shaping up for a $300 night here...only $50 of which might go to charity.  You can (and have) shown support in many other ways.

theglobetrotter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 06:55:30 PM »
All money made will be donated to the brain tumor institute (or whatever the name may be) for research. I am helping with the decor and I believe half the money will be for the food, venue and entertainment. The other half and whatever from the raffles will be for charity.

Ok, I'll just donate instead in other ways and continue to help pretty up the event and do the Christmas fair. I just felt like such a butthole for not wanting to fork out the money to buy tickets.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!