Author Topic: Gloves for bike riding in winter  (Read 3552 times)

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
Gloves for bike riding in winter
« on: December 06, 2016, 01:23:41 PM »
Hi all,

I have a 21 year old son who rides an electric bike to work.  He can easily go 20-25 miles per hour and his commute can range from 20-45 minutes one way.  He lives in Boise, where it can get pretty cold - it is about 28 degrees with 6 mph winds right now.

His hands get cold.  I bought him some Manzella GoreTex softshell ski gloves from REI and although expensive (~$80) they don't keep his hands warm enough.

Any suggestions for gloves that would work really well?  Thanks in advance.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Re: Gloves for bike riding in winter
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 02:45:24 PM »
Needs to add a wind break / shield to the handlebars, then the gloves will be fine.

Something like this -- they sell different types that do the same thing.   

https://www.google.ca/search?q=cycling+handlebar+windshield&rlz=1CAASUD_enCA670CA670&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=655&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiWv5DxxODQAhUH2mMKHfTuBnMQsAQIHA#imgrc=bw4WTVQTr9mDiM%3A

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 02:57:17 PM »
If anything, these can be too warm.  I now have 2 pair because when I ride everyday, they need to air out.  But unbelievably warm (shop for best price):

https://www.rei.com/product/884860/pearl-izumi-pro-amfib-insulated-lobster-gloves

I only use these below 35 degrees.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 07:09:48 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions!!

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 08:34:23 PM »
Has he/have you heard of pogies/bar mitts? http://bikepacker.com/pogies/

I've been riding so far with merino wool liner gloves under Swix skiing mittens -- they are split like a cycling glove would be except with the forefinger then three other fingers.  I like this better for braking with my style of handlebars, and they were cheaper than cycling-specific brands :)  The liner gloves are a big part of being warm enough.  I'm a total freeze baby but have found this combo comfy down to 20 degrees F with wind (but I'm only riding 10mph). 

I'm super lucky that my bike mechanic makes pogies, so she's currently crafting me a pair.  So far everyone I've spoken to that has them absolutely LOVES them -- they're usually able to wear one less layer on their hands, have better dexterity, and don't have the sweaty hand problem that a lot of cyclists do once they're warmed up. 

In general I've found snowmobile clothes and gear to be warmer and less expensive than cycling-specific gear.  And constructed to deal with wind at higher speeds :)  I'm in Minnesota so there are long-established venues for finding quality hunting and snowmobiling clothing, where most of the biking gear I've seen is in niche stores and quite a bit pricier. 

Props to your son for biking through winter!  I went to college in Moscow ID and biked year-round, but being Moscow my bicycling didn't involve anywhere as long a commute as he has :)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 04:36:10 AM »
Good call on the snowmobiling gear - much the same purpose as cold weather cycling gear, especially for the upper body.

pennyhandlebar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 06:32:12 AM »
Thirds on the snowmobile gear; motorcycle winter gloves might also be an option. Living in Portland OR (maybe a little warmer than where you are), I've been very happy with this bargain basement product for my winter bike commute: http://www.kinco.com/product/1938kwp/

They were about $12 at a safety supply store, and are still going strong after 4-5 years or so. I like the reflectivity for hand signals, and the dexterity is adequate once they're broken in.

epower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 04:46:33 PM »

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 07:47:55 AM »
I'll probably catch from flack for this, but I've been making due with series of layered cheap gloves.  I wore these this morning with temps in the single digits (according to weather.com the "feels like" temp was below zero).  At the end of my ~ 17 minute ride in, my hands were just starting to get cold but still had plenty of feeling.

Base layer is dollar tree work gloves (jersey material)
2nd layer is kitchen/house cleaning gloves (keeps out wind & water) - of course these are funky & bright yellow!
3rd layer is padded fingerless biking gloves (I got these a couple years ago and they were already one size too big) - this layer's helpful in that it has a Velcro strap that keeps the prior layers together
4th layer is dollar store lined jersey gloves - fleece ones would probably be even better

So, overall cost was about $11.  The bike gloves aren't really needed and were the most expensive out of the whole thing ($8) - I had these from before my mustachian days but the Velcro does help keep everything together.  If you remove the bike glove layer, the grand total is $4.  I think if I switched the 4th layer with a layer of fleece they would be even warmer.

I like that I can remove layers as desired based on the weather.  I've worn them without the plastic gloves, without the outer glove, without both the plastic and outer gloves and only the bike glove.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 08:23:48 AM »
My dad gave me Bar Mitts for Christmas a couple years ago and they are great - I cycle all winter and there are only a few weeks a year (in Boston, so fairly harsh weather) when I need more than a lightweight glove. Right now, in ~30F weather with serious wind I am just wearing those little acrylic dollar store stretchy gloves. The bar mitts make a huge difference. I think snowmobile pogies do the same thing and may be a little cheaper.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 01:35:19 PM »
You might also want to check the prices on scuba diving gloves (neoprene is very warm and water proof) and ice climbing gloves.