Author Topic: Glasses cleaner  (Read 4120 times)

scottish

• Magnum Stache
Glasses cleaner
« on: January 14, 2015, 05:50:08 PM »
All 4 of us wear glasses.   We used to get these  spray bottles of glasses cleaner at the dollar store, but they aren't there any more.

Opticians charge way too much for this.    Does anyone know what's actually in those little spray bottles?     We could do a bulk refill.

Worst case is back to soap and warm water.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
Re: Glasses cleaner
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 05:53:27 PM »
Rubbing alcohol is all that's in those bottles. But seriously, you don't need a cleaner or even soap. I just put my glasses under a faucet once daily, using the water pressure on both sides of the lenses for a couple seconds, and then dry them off with a lint-free cloth (I usually use handkerchiefs). A little pressure when drying them off will remove anything else left. No special cleaner required.

usedsoup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 06:28:38 PM »
I refilled my empty small spray bottle with one drop of liquid dish soap, half water, and half rubbing alcohol. Works great, haven't bought the store stuff since.

Nate

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
Thank you for the ideas!

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 10:09:36 PM »
The recipe I was given was to get one of those little sprayer jars, fill it about 1/4 full of rubbing alcohol, a few squirts of soft soap, and then fill close to the top with water.  Put the top on, shake to stir.  I use the little cloths the eye doctor gave me to dry mine, but anything lint free will do I think.

ChicagoGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 01:35:50 AM »
Try equal parts distilled water and rubbing alcohol with a glass cleaning cloth. Works great on glasses, cell phone screens, computer screens and some TV  screens.  I mix mine up in a small glass spray bottle.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 06:01:48 PM »
I just wash mine in the shower when I wash myself and dry on a dry corner of my towel. Works well.

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 06:15:20 PM »
I just use dish soap, rub it around with my fingers, rinse and then dry with a soft cloth. Works great.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 06:26:24 PM »
I just wash mine in the shower when I wash myself and dry on a dry corner of my towel. Works well.

Yeah, I don't see all this need for soap or cleaners! Water works perfectly fine. The point is to be able to SEE, right? :P

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 07:51:26 PM »
I've been wearing glasses since I was 7 years old, and I've always just used soap and water. For the little hard to reach crevices like the insides of the nose pads, I use ear buds and rubbing alcohol.