Author Topic: Gin and Tonic  (Read 5285 times)

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
Gin and Tonic
« on: March 10, 2021, 09:51:41 PM »
We had to make due with gin! With gin!

I need recommendations. I have never had gin or tonic water, or the two together. I understand the Tanqueray is the classic London dry style, so I think we are going to try that one for starters. Also, it is relatively cheap at 18$ a bottle.

As for tonic water?? Can you make some recommendations? How do you mix them together and serve?? Is it supposed to have bubbes?

Do you drink gin straight (would it be wrong to say "neat")? On the rocks? What else do you recommend here?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 09:53:15 PM by ObviouslyNotAGolfer »

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Gin and Tonic
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 10:11:18 PM »
Fever Tree tonic is my favorite. Don't cheap out on tonic.

My opinion is the best gin for a G&T is The Botanist. Also good are Hendricks, Uncle Vals, and Napue.

Lime or lemon wedge to garnish. Fizzy. Ratio of gin to tonic can be whatever you want. Served over ice.

You can drink good gin straight, but I don't.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 10:11:44 PM »
bizarre....

I prefer it with soda and lime.

yes - the bubbles are key.

I personally wouldn't do gin straight.

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 12:32:55 AM »
Thanks! I replaced the Canada Dry Tonic in my cart with Fever Tree thanks to your recommendation.

Also, 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7ow6ge5BBw

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 05:44:52 AM »
My wife's go-to drink is a G&T. Her favorite gin is Hendricks, and favorite tonic is the Fever Tree Elderflower.

We haven't tried all of the gins or tonics that are currently available at our liquor stores, but definitely a good portion.

Log

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 06:12:31 AM »
Fever tree tonic water is indeed the way to go.

Some enjoy drinking gin neat but it’s certainly a less common taste than whiskey neat. My ideal G&T starts with a glass full of ice. Pour tonic water after the gin (/optional lime juice) as the carbonation will help mix the ingredients. 2:1 tonic to gin is a good place to start, but anywhere from 1:1 to 4:1 is pretty normal, to your taste preference. Still will need a little extra stir with your straw to finish any mixing the carbonation didn’t quite accomplish.

Lime garnish on the rim of the glass is more important than lime juice in the drink to me. The scent affects your perception of flavor, and of course it just feels more special to have a drink with a garnish (:

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 06:17:24 AM »
Curious...why do you suddenly feel the need to imbibe gin??

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 07:05:42 AM »
I've tried plenty of gin, but this is one liquor where I like the classic, cheaper option: Tanqueray. The higher end gins lose something of its critical medicinal bite.

the_hobbitish

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 07:06:51 AM »
Agree that good tonic is important. Immediately rule out anything with fake sweeteners. IMO You can overcome mediocre gin with great tonic and have something enjoyable. Nothing overcomes bad tonic.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 07:35:59 AM »
Do you drink gin straight (would it be wrong to say "neat")? On the rocks? What else do you recommend here?
I'm partial to gin martinis. Bombay Sapphire gin, Noilly Prat vermouth. The main difference from vodka martinis being that you actually pour the vermouth, instead of just wafting it over the glass for the aroma :)

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 08:44:36 AM »
I am a gin drinker, and I keep Gordon's or Seagram's around for mixed cocktails - gin fizzes, Tom Collins, gin and tonic, Bees Knees.  My go to summer cocktail is Seagram's and Schweppes tonic with a little bit of herbal simple syrup (lavender or lemon balm are favorites).  The key is that all these cocktails are sweet, so the flavor profile of the gin is less important.

For a fancier G&T I will go with Fever Tree tonic and Tanqueray gin.  Tanqueray in my Negronis as well.

For a gin martini I will use Finn's Gin (a local Chicago option) and Dolin dry vermouth.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2021, 09:07:31 AM »
I'm a big fan of the gin and tonic.  My personal preference is for any decent juniper dry gin (Beefeater, Sipsmith VSOP, Broker's, Portland Dry Gin, Junipero, Tanqueray, etc.) .  I'm not a fan of the more citrusy less junipery type gins (Bombay Sapphire, Ungava, Hendricks, Portobello Road, Silo Reserve, etc.) in a GnT, although I like 'em in a martini.

Honestly the best bang for the buck in gin is Beefeater.  It makes a great gin and tonic, and is usually among the cheapest brands you can buy.  The tonic part matters but I strongly suggest that you try a variety of different ones.  Fever tree is fine, but many of the cheaper tonic waters taste better to me.  (My least favourite is Schweppes though - ugh too sweet.)

GnT is best enjoyed at about a 3:1 tonic to gin ratio in a tall glass filled with ice.  Also squeeze in 1/4 to 1/2 a lime's worth of juice.

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 09:21:34 AM »
I'm a big fan of the gin and tonic.  My personal preference is for any decent juniper dry gin (Beefeater, Sipsmith VSOP, Broker's, Portland Dry Gin, Junipero, Tanqueray, etc.) .  I'm not a fan of the more citrusy less junipery type gins (Bombay Sapphire, Ungava, Hendricks, Portobello Road, Silo Reserve, etc.) in a GnT, although I like 'em in a martini.

My favorite thing about Sipsmith is their motto, embossed on the bottom of the bottle: Cygnus Inter Anates
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 12:05:44 PM by Watchmaker »

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 11:10:32 AM »
Consider buying a handle (1.75L) rather than a fifth (750 ml).  The shelf life of gin is long.  Might as well buy something that is more than twice as large that costs less than twice as much.  Same for vodka, bourbon, tequila, and rum.  Store in a dark and cool place.

Plus depending on the brand, I find it more likely that the handle size will be glass rather than plastic.  Most are glass regardless of size but I prefer the glass over plastic for reuse/recycling reasons.

Side note: my favorite gin drink is the Aviation.  Stick the toothpick through the lemon wedge and marasca and it always looks classy even if you're lazy like me and often make it on the rocks rather than in a Boston/cobbler.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2021, 11:21:56 AM »
Fever Tree has many varieties of tonic, which makes an astonishing difference in how the drink comes out.

https://pairingguide.fever-tree.com/en-au/

Q tonic is also spectacular.

Regarding gin, if you have access to it, Taaka is simply astonishing at the price point. I think I pay $8 for 1.75l and it's vastly better than it has any right to be (it's excellent with Q).  New Amsterdam is shit. Don't buy it. My ultimate favorite is Barr Hill, out of Caledonia Vermont.

Lime is helpful on many gins (Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray, Hendricks) but there are some with unique character that you won't want to disrupt with lime (Barr Hill, Cold River, and any barrel aged gin at all). My typical ratio is 2:1 or slightly stronger.

My wife's go-to drink is a G&T. Her favorite gin is Hendricks, and favorite tonic is the Fever Tree Elderflower.

We haven't tried all of the gins or tonics that are currently available at our liquor stores, but definitely a good portion.

Elderflower has a powerful flavor - I would also recommend Hendricks with Q and just a light squeeze of lime. :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 11:24:16 AM by JLee »

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2021, 12:22:28 PM »

Obviously because one morning in a fit of pique, the maid drowned her father in the creek.  The water'll be tasting bad for a week, so they have to make do with gin.

Oh dear...

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2021, 02:32:52 PM »

An interesting question. Two reasons actually:

1.) I am teaching a new upper-division/graduate class in Medical Parasitology this semester. Of course, the most important parasitic disease is malaria, and the history of the disease is actually quite interesting. One aspect of this is early herbal/medicinal treatments. The earliest one is artemisinin from the Chinese text Nei Ching from about 2700 BCE. Artemisinin, also known as wormwood for its supposed anti-worm properties (against nasty parasitic worms--schistosomiasis, dracunculiasis), is a potent antimalarial in areas that that have not evolved immunity. Even today, research on artemisinin continues, and a Nobel Prize in Medicine was awarded in 2015 for this. Artemisinin is famously an ingredient in the liquor known as absinthe. Quinine, from the bark of the Peruvian Cinchona tree is another, much later herbal remedy, first used by the Incas in the 17th century CE. Of course, quinine is a key ingredient in tonic water, so I wanted to try that. Quninine-infused tonic water is bitter, or so I've read, and it is combined with gin to soften it. In any case quinine, to a large extent, was the basis for the British Empire, in its colonization (genocide, slavery, and general fcukery) of India, and much of Africa. Major fortunes were built on quinine, specifically the Burrows/Welcome companies of the U.K. and U.S.

Quinine also sparked interest among the French, due to their colonization of parts of Africa and Asia. French aperitifs such as Lillet, Dubonnet, and the like also are infused with quinine. 

2.) My wife and I went to France (Paris, Brittany, etc) on vacation in 2019, and we became very interested in the food and drink. I bought the book Drinking French by David Lebowitz, and he was talking about all these different types of boooze, including Gin and Tonic. Such a classic cocktail. I thought I would try it.

It has always seemed to be drunk before dinner--I would prefer mine to be on the dry side!

Anyway, thanks for all the interesting replies!

« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 02:54:30 PM by ObviouslyNotAGolfer »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2021, 02:37:39 PM »
If you have a black light, your gin and tonic will glow.  It's pretty trippy.  :P

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2021, 02:47:54 PM »

Obviously because one morning in a fit of pique, the maid drowned her father in the creek.  The water'll be tasting bad for a week, so they have to make do with gin.

Now that is what I would call a gincident.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2021, 05:11:57 PM »

An interesting question. Two reasons actually:

1.) I am teaching a new upper-division/graduate class in Medical Parasitology this semester. Of course, the most important parasitic disease is malaria, and the history of the disease is actually quite interesting. One aspect of this is early herbal/medicinal treatments. The earliest one is artemisinin from the Chinese text Nei Ching from about 2700 BCE. Artemisinin, also known as wormwood for its supposed anti-worm properties (against nasty parasitic worms--schistosomiasis, dracunculiasis), is a potent antimalarial in areas that that have not evolved immunity. Even today, research on artemisinin continues, and a Nobel Prize in Medicine was awarded in 2015 for this. Artemisinin is famously an ingredient in the liquor known as absinthe. Quinine, from the bark of the Peruvian Cinchona tree is another, much later herbal remedy, first used by the Incas in the 17th century CE. Of course, quinine is a key ingredient in tonic water, so I wanted to try that. Quninine-infused tonic water is bitter, or so I've read, and it is combined with gin to soften it. In any case quinine, to a large extent, was the basis for the British Empire, in its colonization (genocide, slavery, and general fcukery) of India, and much of Africa. Major fortunes were built on quinine, specifically the Burrows/Welcome companies of the U.K. and U.S.

Quinine also sparked interest among the French, due to their colonization of parts of Africa and Asia. French aperitifs such as Lillet, Dubonnet, and the like also are infused with quinine. 

2.) My wife and I went to France (Paris, Brittany, etc) on vacation in 2019, and we became very interested in the food and drink. I bought the book Drinking French by David Lebowitz, and he was talking about all these different types of boooze, including Gin and Tonic. Such a classic cocktail. I thought I would try it.

It has always seemed to be drunk before dinner--I would prefer mine to be on the dry side!

Anyway, thanks for all the interesting replies!

I read all of this and still can't figure out why you would want to start drinking gin...

That said, I think gin tastes like paint thinner and wet grass, so...yeah.

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2021, 05:19:27 PM »
To mix with the tonic--because I am interested in the tonic as a drink that has quinine. I am also interested in those other drinks I mentioned: Lillet, Dubonnet, etc.

Gin and tonic was also mentioned in the book.

That, and I am trying to branch out in my booze sampling. We have found some really great new (to us) stuff lately.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2021, 05:34:01 PM »
To mix with the tonic--because I am interested in the tonic as a drink that has quinine. I am also interested in those other drinks I mentioned: Lillet, Dubonnet, etc.

That, and I am trying to branch out in my booze sampling. We have found some really great new (to us) stuff lately.

I really don't think gin improved the taste of tonic, but that's because I'm biased against gin. Also, I'm just teasing you because, well, I hate gin.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2021, 06:20:02 PM »
I make my own tonic and highly recommend doing so if you like that sort of thing.

More than any other spirit, gin has a very wide taste profile from distiller to distiller. Which makes sense, as starts life as neutral spirit (essentially vodka) and then you can add whatever botanicals you wish. I sort of ‘collect’ gins from small distillers.  I picked up one just before the pandemic hit that has mushroom notes (not for everyone!).

@Malcat - you might give Copper’s barrel gin a try - I’ve known several bourbon/whisky drinkers who swore they hated gin who liked Cooper’s.  Of course it helps that it’s basically a gin that’s treated like a bourbon (barrel aged, lots of caramel notes...)

@GuitarStv - i like your ratios, but would probably flip them ;-)

For additional gin recipes, it’s hard to beat a Gimlet when it’s hot. A ginger Collins is also one of my favorites (gin, good quality ginger beer and lemon juice).

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2021, 06:57:53 PM »
When I was a drinker I usually ordered a g &t if I was out, I never stocked too much fancy booze at home, so I could try the "good stuff" from the upper shelves. IMHO the g/t ratio is very important, but I couldn't tell you what it should be. I relied on finding a good bartender.
Then when I quit drinking (10 years next month but who's counting) I would order just the tonic with a lime as a fauxtail.
Bonus: no "why aren't you drinking?",  and driving home.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2021, 07:40:33 PM »

I really don't think gin improved the taste of tonic, but that's because I'm biased against gin. Also, I'm just teasing you because, well, I hate gin.

Fun science fact . . . when you mix the chemicals in gin with the chemicals in quinine, two bitter molecules combine to make a sweet tasting molecule.  https://edspace.american.edu/hartingslab/2018/06/19/sciencegeist-i-love-gin-and-tonics/

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2021, 07:45:13 PM »
I make my own tonic and highly recommend doing so if you like that sort of thing.

More than any other spirit, gin has a very wide taste profile from distiller to distiller. Which makes sense, as starts life as neutral spirit (essentially vodka) and then you can add whatever botanicals you wish. I sort of ‘collect’ gins from small distillers.  I picked up one just before the pandemic hit that has mushroom notes (not for everyone!).

@Malcat - you might give Copper’s barrel gin a try - I’ve known several bourbon/whisky drinkers who swore they hated gin who liked Cooper’s.  Of course it helps that it’s basically a gin that’s treated like a bourbon (barrel aged, lots of caramel notes...)

@GuitarStv - i like your ratios, but would probably flip them ;-)

For additional gin recipes, it’s hard to beat a Gimlet when it’s hot. A ginger Collins is also one of my favorites (gin, good quality ginger beer and lemon juice).

Lol, no thanks. I truly, truly have hated every gin that I have ever encountered. And I don't drink alcohol anymore, so I have no interest in trying to find a gin I can stand. DH loves gin though, so I oddly know quite a bit about it and have tried many types as a result.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2021, 09:40:11 PM »
I am a old lady at heart. I am known to drink Gin neat with a slice of citrus. Some gins I like orange, others I like lime or grapefruit. I also like red wine.

But I like sleep more and do not drink much anymore at all as it affected my sleep. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2021, 09:44:22 PM »
FWIW, a lot of people around here like Ungava gin, which is slightly sweet and infused with arctic herbs that make it bright yellow.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2021, 10:09:06 PM »
I'm not sure how far the distribution goes, but Seventh Heaven gin is delicious, even straight. It's also really good with tonic or ginger beer. My favourite mixers are by 1642, which are from Montreal as well. A local tasty drink if you happen to be in or near Quebec!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2021, 10:16:30 PM »
It is a curious fact, and one to which no-one knows quite how much importance to attach, that something like 85 percent of all known worlds in the Galaxy, be they primitive or highly advanced, have invented a drink called jynnan tonyx, or gee-N'N-T'N-ix, or jinond-o-nicks, or any one of a thousand variations on this phonetic theme.
The drinks themselves are not the same, and vary between the Sivolvian ‘chinanto/mnigs’ which is ordinary water served just above room temperature, and the Gagrakackan 'tzjin-anthony-ks’ which kills cows at a hundred paces; and in fact the only one common factor between all of them, beyond the fact that their names sound the same, is that they were all invented and named before the worlds concerned made contact with any other worlds."

Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
https://hitchhikersguidequotes.tumblr.com/post/17319713714/it-is-a-curious-fact-and-one-to-which-no-one

I mean, just in case it becomes a Galactic Issue, why not?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2021, 05:10:28 AM »

Honestly the best bang for the buck in gin is Beefeater.  It makes a great gin and tonic, and is usually among the cheapest brands you can buy.  The tonic part matters but I strongly suggest that you try a variety of different ones.  Fever tree is fine, but many of the cheaper tonic waters taste better to me.  (My least favourite is Schweppes though - ugh too sweet.)

GnT is best enjoyed at about a 3:1 tonic to gin ratio in a tall glass filled with ice.  Also squeeze in 1/4 to 1/2 a lime's worth of juice.

I second the recommendation of Beefeater. It’s good value for the price. Of the fancier gins, I like Hendrick’s.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2021, 05:24:18 AM »
FWIW, a lot of people around here like Ungava gin, which is slightly sweet and infused with arctic herbs that make it bright yellow.

J’adore Ungava!  But there’s two other fantastic gins from Quebec one (not you, obviously) should try:  St. Laurent (not to be confused with the NY-made St Lawrence) and 12 km.  Both have Nordic terroir and are distinctly different from the London-dry gin types.

Not for everyone, but we certainly enjoy them.

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2021, 08:15:29 PM »
My first gin and tonic:

3:2 ratio of Fever Tree Indian Tonic water + Tanqueray with crushed ice and a lime wedge = delicious!

Just a tiny hint of sweetness, but certainly dry enough to function nicely as an aperitif. Very refreshing and relaxing at the same time.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 08:22:05 PM by ObviouslyNotAGolfer »

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2021, 05:33:57 PM »
I default to Seagrams and Schweppes, that combination is by far the best value proposition of any I have tried. Anything cheaper than Seagrams gets worse at a high rate per dollar, and I can't really say that anything more expensive seems to improve things, just make them different. Beefeater is a close runner up, if I am not trying something new or getting Seagrams then I will sometimes go for Beefeater. Canada Dry is a runner up for tonic, do not cheap out with the Walmart brand tonic or somesuch, you will regret that. I have never even seen the other fancy tonics people mentioned. I think I use a 1:3 ratio, but I never measure. 2 oz gin 6 oz tonic in a 12 oz cup with ice. Always lime.

As a friend noted, the word "synergy" seems like a dumb made up meaningless word until you try a G&T. Very few sane people enjoy the taste of straight gin. Quinine makes water taste very bitter, and most people would think it the worst tasting of all varieties of sparkling water even with a lot of sugar added. Lime, well go suck on one if you want to know. Put them all together and you get one of the best and most refreshing alcoholic beverages ever. Even my DW, who is not big on alcohol, limes, or bitter things, enjoys them. It is truly a case where 1+1+1 = 9.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2021, 10:50:32 PM »
I default to Seagrams and Schweppes, that combination is by far the best value proposition of any I have tried. Anything cheaper than Seagrams gets worse at a high rate per dollar, and I can't really say that anything more expensive seems to improve things, just make them different. Beefeater is a close runner up, if I am not trying something new or getting Seagrams then I will sometimes go for Beefeater. Canada Dry is a runner up for tonic, do not cheap out with the Walmart brand tonic or somesuch, you will regret that. I have never even seen the other fancy tonics people mentioned. I think I use a 1:3 ratio, but I never measure. 2 oz gin 6 oz tonic in a 12 oz cup with ice. Always lime.

As a friend noted, the word "synergy" seems like a dumb made up meaningless word until you try a G&T. Very few sane people enjoy the taste of straight gin. Quinine makes water taste very bitter, and most people would think it the worst tasting of all varieties of sparkling water even with a lot of sugar added. Lime, well go suck on one if you want to know. Put them all together and you get one of the best and most refreshing alcoholic beverages ever. Even my DW, who is not big on alcohol, limes, or bitter things, enjoys them. It is truly a case where 1+1+1 = 9.

Try Taaka if you can find it. Half the price (or less) vs Seagrams and it's worlds better.  Taaka and Q tonic make for a spectacular combination - it's worth spending the extra on the tonic.

Le North Dreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2021, 09:38:51 AM »
TLDR the rest of the posts (sorrrrry).

This is just an opinion: Get used to drinking your gin with Soda/sparkling water. It allows you to fully taste the gin without adding external flavors/sugar, and its cheaper than tonic.

Cheers!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2021, 09:45:10 AM »

This is just an opinion: Get used to drinking your gin with Soda/sparkling water. It allows you to fully taste the gin without adding external flavors/sugar, and its cheaper than tonic.

Cheers!

The quinine in tonic water radically changes the flavour of the drink.  It's not comparable at all to gin and soda.  Not even in the same ballpark.  Substituting a far inferior flavour alternative simply to avoid the calories from drinking so much . . . I mean, that's taking the wrong approach to the problem.  Just drink less often, and enjoy it more when you do.

:P

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2021, 08:38:06 PM »

Try Taaka if you can find it. Half the price (or less) vs Seagrams and it's worlds better.  Taaka and Q tonic make for a spectacular combination - it's worth spending the extra on the tonic.
Thanks. I will look out for these.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2021, 08:40:14 PM »

Cheers!
Gotta be honest I have tried gin and soda a couple times and it was terrible. I would rather have gin on the rocks (which I have done about three times), but neither compares compared to a gin and tonic.

racquetcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2021, 09:05:42 PM »
My favorite has always been Hendricks.

Hendricks also has seasonal gins, the midsummer solstice (think more floral flavors which are great for summer cocktails) which is my all time favorite, so I stock up when it hits the shelves. They also do a Orbium seasonal in the winter, I wasn't a huge fan of it.

YYK

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2021, 09:00:27 AM »
Very few sane people enjoy the taste of straight gin.

I guess I'm one of these. I've started drinking gin recently and love it. The juniper taste is great and I like imagining I'm sitting in an English garden in the late 19th century as I drink it. Way better, in my opinion, than whiskey or rum, and it doesn't give me a headache. Then again, I also like absinthe, so maybe I'm not so sane.

Everybody seems to like Hendricks but I think it's too weak on the juniper and too strong on the citrus, and not very smooth besides. Bombay is my preferred, though I've not tried Beefeater yet.

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2021, 09:10:56 AM »

I guess I'm one of these. I've started drinking gin recently and love it. The juniper taste is great and I like imagining I'm sitting in an English garden in the late 19th century as I drink it. Way better, in my opinion, than whiskey or rum, and it doesn't give me a headache. Then again, I also like absinthe, so maybe I'm not so sane.

Everybody seems to like Hendricks but I think it's too weak on the juniper and too strong on the citrus, and not very smooth besides. Bombay is my preferred, though I've not tried Beefeater yet.

I think Beefeater is more juniper-y than Bombay (slightly).

If you want your juniper very far forward, find a bottle of Sipsmith V.J.O.P. or Driftless Glen Navy Strength. Both are like being beaten with a juniper branch (in a good way).

RumBurgundy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2021, 09:46:36 AM »
Surprised I haven't seen tonic syrups recommended here, which is my preferred route for a G&T. A lot of the brands of tonic listed here are primarily corn syrup and citric acid. I do like Q brand mixers but they tend to be pricey in my area.

I highly recommend getting either Jack Rudy tonic syrup or Guapo's, mixing it to taste with a good sparkling water, and then adding a mid-range gin. I can't do premixed tonic waters anymore after having it this way.

RumBurgundy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2021, 09:48:29 AM »

That said, I think gin tastes like paint thinner and wet grass, so...yeah.

I have a theory that individuals are genetically predisposed to love or HATE gin, much like cilantro. I've never bothered looking to see if there's been any science to back it up.

YYK

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2021, 11:12:39 AM »
I think Beefeater is more juniper-y than Bombay (slightly).

If you want your juniper very far forward, find a bottle of Sipsmith V.J.O.P. or Driftless Glen Navy Strength. Both are like being beaten with a juniper branch (in a good way).

Excellent, thank you. I will be keeping an eye out for these.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2021, 11:56:28 AM »
I also like Beefeater but when home and drinking it I use diet tonic...I know, I know a cardinal sin. When I used to go out to eat, in my past life, regular tonic. Always with lime. I guess I don't have refined enough taste buds to tell the difference using diet tonic. To me it tastes fine!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2021, 11:59:22 AM »
I also like Beefeater but when home and drinking it I use diet tonic...I know, I know a cardinal sin. When I used to go out to eat, in my past life, regular tonic. Always with lime. I guess I don't have refined enough taste buds to tell the difference using diet tonic. To me it tastes fine!

The Q light tonic (and light ginger beer too) are both superb, if anyone else is bothered by other/generic diet tonic.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2021, 06:01:54 PM »

Good gin is delightful. It's why a dry martini is one of my preferred drinks.

If you're ever in the Traverse City, MI area, take a side trip to Northern Latitudes Distillery on the Leelanau Peninsula. Their Jack Pine gin is one of my all-time favorite distilled spirits. Unfortunately, they have very limited distribution. We always buy 3 or 4 bottles when we're in the area and can visit the shop.

Le North Dreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2021, 06:44:06 PM »

Cheers!

The quinine in tonic water radically changes the flavour of the drink.  It's not comparable at all to gin and soda.  Not even in the same ballpark.  Substituting a far inferior flavour alternative simply to avoid the calories from drinking so much . . . I mean, that's taking the wrong approach to the problem.  Just drink less often, and enjoy it more when you do.

I may not have made my point clear: calories are not really a problem for me, but I'm not a big fan of sweetness in drinks. I find using a little home-made soda does the trick in smoothing most gins while keeping the full aroma of the gin, while sometimes takes over the flavor of the gin - might be a balancing act though. You are right, G&T and gin soda are 2 entirely different drinks that should not be compared.

The best G&T I had was made with home-made tonic and while delicious, it is still quite sweet.

Cheers!
Gotta be honest I have tried gin and soda a couple times and it was terrible. I would rather have gin on the rocks (which I have done about three times), but neither compares compared to a gin and tonic.

I'm being you on this one - I typically drink it this way, especially higher quality gins, and go for soda/tonic for lower quality gins.

Cheers mates!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2021, 07:02:32 PM »

Cheers!

I may not have made my point clear: calories are not really a problem for me, but I'm not a big fan of sweetness in drinks. I find using a little home-made soda does the trick in smoothing most gins while keeping the full aroma of the gin, while sometimes takes over the flavor of the gin - might be a balancing act though. You are right, G&T and gin soda are 2 entirely different drinks that should not be compared.

The best G&T I had was made with home-made tonic and while delicious, it is still quite sweet.

Ah, that makes sense then.  The quinine chemically interacts with chemicals in the gin to form a new substance that your tongue tastes as sweet.  So if you don't like sweet, gin and tonic is probably not for you.