Author Topic: Gifts for a Mustachian  (Read 6433 times)

Bucs555

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Gifts for a Mustachian
« on: December 04, 2012, 07:45:54 PM »
Hey guys, so I am looking to buy some gifts for an avid reader of this blog. Can you guys think of any gifts that somebody frugal would enjoy?

I know that this is ironic, and I am willing to spend money on something if it is really a tool or gift or idea that will save them money in the future!

Thanks !

Mickijune

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Gifts for a Mustachian
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 08:03:58 PM »
I told my family not to get us anything...but since my family feels the super important consumerism need to buy things for other people, I gave them a suggestion to get gift cards for grocery stores. Or a gift card for something/someplace useful...

Jimbo

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 08:08:20 PM »
Classes in something he/she likes.

Cooking?
Carpentry?
Something less stereotypical?

Aaaaaaaand, of course, the classic : money.

Honest Abe

• Bristles
  • Emancipate Yourself from Mental Slavery
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 08:09:11 PM »
Silver buillion

Bucs555

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 08:36:18 PM »
Thanks for the tips, please keep them coming!

Any ideas for some sort of savings account I can open in their name?

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 09:14:54 PM »
Any ideas for some sort of savings account I can open in their name?

Awww -- you shouldn't have! 

Unless you are in a situation to set up (e.g.) an account for a custodial minor, I don't think this is easy/possible to do in the US (to surprise someone, I'm sure you can do it with their involvement, i.e., fund the account for them).  Such accounts typically require tax information (SSNs) and the signature of the account holder.

Maybe a pony ;)?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 09:26:15 PM »
Maybe a pony ;)?
This. Ponies are so in this season.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 10:11:05 PM »
If anyone asks me what I want for Christmas, I tell them I want a goat, chicken, or duck etc from here: https://www.oxfamunwrapped.com.au/content/how_it_works

That puts them back in their consumerist pen!

momo27

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 10:39:37 PM »
Every year my kids ask their grandparents to help them "buy" an animal from Heifer International. Last year it was a goat. This year they're after soliciting enough donations to get a llama.  Despite the fact that they have asked every year for the last six years (okay, the older one has been asking that long, the youngest isn't six yet), my mother continues to be totally confused by the request and proceeds to buy stupid toys that they rarely play with.

StarswirlTheMustached

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 07:14:55 AM »
If at all needed, quality tools. You'd have to be fairly close to know that that 'goddamned department store square' is actually rhombohedral, but if you do and pick up a replacement from the likes of Lee Valley, you win the holidays.

If they don't have a tool-using hobby, they probably should, and you should get them classes thereon.

If they're already full up on heirloom-quality tools (and/or you can't afford them)... could you make them something? Home made is always worth points, if it is relevant.
Do you cook? Everyone loves the pickles and preserves we hand out; it's great bang for the buck, as long as you're dealing with folk who appreciate good food. Cakes and pies and sweets are also almost universally appreciated. If you knit, there's plenty of time to slap together a simple scarf. (If you don't knit, there may be time to learn by X-mas).

I'm not sure about savings accounts; the traditional investment gift is usually savings bonds, but if they're into this site they might be disappointed by the yield. I must say I think I'd be mostly just embarrassed if someone tried to gift me investments, but maybe that's just me.

I should also note that the holidays can be a good time for the frugal to get a hold of consumer goods they've been secretly pining for but unable to justify. Have you gotten any hints in that area?

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 07:24:05 AM »
I second the suggestion for edible gifts.  At least these don't sit around taking up space (although they might make you fatter).  Since I'm in New England and my family loves maple sugar candy, I'm probably going to order a bunch of boxes of maple sugar candy this year and some of those maple sugar leaf shaped cookies with the maple cream filling.  Yum.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 07:24:47 AM »
i like to give useful gifts -- something consumable, or a small luxury that someone likes but wouldn't normally purchase for him or herself (excellent coffee or fancy popcorn or dark chocolate or something).

it's also nice to give gift cards to local places that support their hobbies -- a local yarn shop for a knitter, or a bike shop for a biker, or a hardware store for an avid DIYer, or a movie gift card for someone who likes the movies but doesn't go often, or a massage for someone who likes massages but is normally too frugal to splash out for them.

people who are bad with money appreciate these kinds of gifts less because they will go to the movies whether they can afford it or not, but a mustachian might like to be able to have the experience without paying for it.