Author Topic: getting rid of audio and video tapes  (Read 4336 times)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
getting rid of audio and video tapes
« on: July 20, 2013, 03:15:54 PM »
I have many, many old audio and video cassette tapes that I am pretty sure no person or library would want.  In an effort to declutter, I would like to get rid of them, but in an eco-friendly way.  I have found a company called Green Disk online and am thinking about using their services.  Has anyone in the Mustache world used this company, or can you recommend another eco-friendly way to dispose of this stuff?  Many thanks.

frugalcoconut

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: getting rid of audio and video tapes
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 08:14:18 PM »
I have no experience with Green Disk or any other related service but I have a friend in the same situation so I'd be curious as to how everything goes if you do end up using them.

Lans Holman

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 08:29:21 PM »
If you pull out the tape from a VHS they make amazing party decorations.  I realize this is not helpful to you, but I couldn't help mentioning it.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 03:00:19 PM »
Has anyone in the Mustache world used this company, or can you recommend another eco-friendly way to dispose of this stuff?  Many thanks.
You could ask your local head librarian how the library disposes of the old tapes.

Another option would be calling your local trash service or checking their website for their recycle recommendations.  Oahu has been aggressively recycling for several years, and in general the only things worth separating are some paper products (corrugated cardboard, newsprint) and plastics (classes #1 & #2).  The tapes would be crushed & burned at the HPOWER waste-to-energy plant, just like most other petroleum products.

Frugally-raised

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 08:39:55 AM »
I've used Green Disk several times, mostly for recycling/repurposing computer disks. I found them reliable, if costly. However, it was the only company i could find that would certifiably destroy the data as well as recycle the result (to the degree possible).

I did not use Green Disk for audio or video tapes, as all of mine were commercial (no personal information means no security risk) and shipping video tapes would be expensive. They, unfortunately, went into the trash (landfill). There were no other solutions in my area (Midwest).

superheropunk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • former credit addict
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 08:50:14 AM »
Do you have a goodwill in the area or something similiar? The goodwill here still sells video tapes and they take most anything.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!