Author Topic: Getting restarted  (Read 1263 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Getting restarted
« on: March 30, 2021, 09:27:27 AM »
Hi,

I fell off the wagon a few years ago. Through that period I have kept my weekly Vanguard deposits and have lived within my means and have saved up throughout it. I have not been tracking my expenses and have definitely spent more money on things than I should have. As a result my house is more cluttered and I have more shoes than I can do with. I would like advice on getting restarted into a Mustachian lifestyle. Thanks!

EDIT: Some figures to help with

Debt: My mortgage- roughly $130k 2.75% interest rate
Investments: Index funds- $200k
Cash on hand: $100k (another investment settlement, will transfer bulk to Vanguard in a few weeks once completely settles)
PITI: $1000
Salary: $100k plus bonuses (2020 was $30k)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 09:41:56 AM by MgoSam »

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
Re: Getting restarted
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 10:18:30 AM »
Whenever I feel like I'm moving too far away from my goals, I reread Your Money or Your Life.  Ignore the "investment" advice, but I find the rest of the book to be a great reminder to me to focus my spending on what is truly important to me. 

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 10:29:15 AM »
Maybe try decluttering?  When I'm actively getting rid of stuff I find I'm less likely to want to shop just for fun. And I'd definitely start looking through your spending and see where it may be deviating from your goals.  I also like to reread some of the old blog posts to get inspiration on what I can cut and things I can do without spending a ton of money. 

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 01:21:49 PM »
This might be a good time to sign up for the Frugalwoods ultra frugal month challenge. You get a daily email and some steps to try. It's a good reset.

I am also a fan of decluttering or rereading keystone books to remind you of your values.

travel2020

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 01:16:36 AM »
Another vote for decluttering. Recently did a whole month of daily decluttering challenge and found it not only therapeutic but also a good reminder of all the accumulated wasted spending to avoid in the future.

Also, since it seems like automated investing worked for you, you could also double down on that approach as a way to reduce the money available to you to spend. For example, pay additional principal towards your mortgage, save to college fund for kids, anticipated home repairs, or whatever else makes sense for you.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 04:34:38 AM »
You haven't fallen too far off the wagon - from your heading I was expecting credit card debt at the very least.

If the problem is too many things would a substitute for buying too much be buying better?  For instance, too many shoes suggests to me that you are buying shoes that aren't doing the right job, either in comfort or utlity or appearance.  Fewer but better, wearing all the ones you have and taking good care of them is better (and I argue more mustachian) than lots of cheaper ones you end up not liking or using.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 08:44:02 AM »
This is a time to access what you have, what you need and what you want. Declutter, use up what you have. I always view this as I am turning in my investments, if that is using the t-shirt that is not my fav weekly, or using up that half box of pasta that is in the back of the pantry.

Do some spring cleaning, and get organized. You my not be as far off as you think.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 08:59:26 AM »
You've being too hard on yourself. Your only debt is a low interest rate mortgage with monthly payments that should leave you plenty of breathing room at your income level.  You also have a few hundred thousand dollars in assets.  I was expecting to see a new BMW or Clown McMansion with some credit card debt thrown into the mix when you said you fell off the wagon.   

Like others have said, decluttering will help mentally and maybe financially a bit too.  There's probably at least a few things worth listing on eBay.

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 09:15:25 AM »
Agree with others here, you are doing well overall, you didnt state your age or desired FIRE date/nest egg so that may impact how others respond

this post may help you with spending and prioritizing what really matters

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/how-to-get-the-best-bang-for-your-buck/

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 02:33:49 PM »
Another vote for rereading Your Money or Your life.

I decluttered my bedroom closet a few months ago and man, did that kill my desire to buy any new stuff!  More clothes than I needed, some of it never worn or not worn for years. The closet is so much more pleasant to walk into now that it has been pared down to things I might actually wear. And now I can see where all the things I want to wear are, so I don't feel the need to go buy more.

It gave me a whole new perspective on purchases in general. I'm not down to a capsule wardrobe or anything, but I definitely realized there's no occasion I will need to buy clothes or shoes for in the next couple years.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!