Author Topic: Getting around Oahu without a car  (Read 4490 times)

igthebold

• Bristles
Getting around Oahu without a car
« on: July 05, 2013, 08:07:55 AM »
Hi folks,

Looks like I might be spending a chunk of my August in Oahu, mostly in Waianae (west side of the island).

To anybody here who knows Oahu: is it possible to get around without a car of my own? I wouldn't need to do it often (in fact, maybe not at all).

jat9449

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Getting around Oahu without a car
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 08:32:52 AM »
When we were visiting for two weeks we took the bus...it's great for getting around the island.

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 01:52:55 PM »
My kick-ass sister has been living on the island for five years without a car. She bikes and takes the bus everywhere. The bus is slow, but very convenient, they also have bike racks, so buy a bike and a bus pass and you'll be good to go!

ep114

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 04:54:40 PM »
yep. lots of people here can't afford cars, and the bus system is pretty good.

burly

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 05:55:55 AM »
When we were visiting for two weeks we took the bus...it's great for getting around the island.

I second this - I was there for my honeymoon.. Also, would it be worth it to get a bike for the month? I'm sure you can find one on craigslist there.

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 07:40:18 AM »
Thanks everybody. "Bus is slow, but works," and "can use a bike," are what I was expecting and hoping to hear. :)

Done by Forty

• Stubble
    • Done by Forty
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 08:11:43 AM »
"The Bus" is a surprisingly affordable $2.50 and you seem to be able to use the transfers a lot more than once, and well beyond the stated time on the transfer.  We got all the way up to the North Shore from Honolulu on a single bus, too, no transfer, which I thought was great.

If you can get the schedules ahead of time on your phone, it's a big help.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 02:38:43 PM »
Thanks everybody. "Bus is slow, but works," and "can use a bike," are what I was expecting and hoping to hear. :)
You can live over there without a car, unless you're trying to accomplish all "101 Things To Do On Oahu" before you come home.

During your search for a Craigslist bike, be sure to look for one with a longboard rack.  When you're bicycling with a longboard under your arm, it gets tough to switch arms.  Just sayin'.

If you haven't already, you should check in on HawaiiThreads.com now to get more suggestions on bus schedules and bicycle options.  For example, if you carry a smartphone then there may be an app that tracks Da Bus schedules & locations.