Author Topic: getting a $700 dishwasher.....is it a luxury ?  (Read 8693 times)

Midcenturymater

• Stubble
getting a $700 dishwasher.....is it a luxury ?
« on: December 31, 2015, 08:07:15 AM »
So we finally bought a house...early 40 s.
It was described as a fixer.
We will not be remodelling the 1956 kitchen with original stove and burner or the original bathroom.
However I really want a dishwasher. I have never had one, nor a dryer...but 6 years into family life I just want to share the dish load.

The issue us that the space is a couple of mm short of the magic 33.5 inch height that gets you access to more machines so more deals. We can choose from three machines under 33. Inches. No deals. All $700 plus.

I just can't seem to find a way round this. I have looked into used but they always seem to be 34 at least as this is standard size.
Item will be bought outright. We will plumb it in. Have to pay electrician $60 to do electric.

My question is am I missing a way of doing this with less expense.
I know they are luxuries but since I will live and love the house as it is just about everywhere else. I feel this one purchase is really going to improve our lives.
Am I a fantasies? Any people who think dishwashers are overrated?

I line dry clothes for 4. No heating on at night. $100 on one cell phone a year. And yet I am about to splurge $700 plus on this machine.

Is there something I have missed?

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
Re: getting a $700 dishwasher.....is it a luxury ?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 08:13:10 AM »
I have a similar issue with my tiny Manhattan-sized refrigerator and washer, it's hard to find odd-sized appliances.

if you want to feel better about your purchase, you could run numbers on the savings in your water bill.  When I researched it, I realized that dishwashers are MUCH more efficient at water use than humans are, so long as they're even half full. 

I would definitely splurge.  Your time is probably worth enough to justify it, and it sounds like you're handy enough to handle basic upkeep on your own.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 08:13:21 AM »
This is just one of the costs of having an older home that wasn't built for modern conveniences that didn't exist yet. Our old bathroom had to be remodeled, and we needed a smaller-than-usual bathtub. Because they are not standard, they cost tons more - like five times more.

The price differential isn't too bad for you, since even cheap washing machines at Lowe's still cost $300-$400, and since you are doing the installation yourself (aside from electrical - good choice there) you are saving a couple hundred. I saw that Lowe's charged $200 flat for dishwasher installation.

And dishwashers are good for resale, so there's that as well.

Go for it!

Midcenturymater

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 08:14:12 AM »
Oh and I managed without a car in LA with a toddler and baby for 4 years, living on a steep hill....the bus stop was a mile walk to the bottom of that hill. I am fairly experienced in self denial.....then these occasional desires rear up. How do you all rationalise what is and is not a smart buy?

I can do extreme quite well but I just can't get this idea of what a joy a dishwasher is going to be as the predominant dishwasher in the family😁

Incidentally, when we finally bought a second car it improved life so much. I wondered why I had denied myself all that time and made bring a stay home mom in a car oriented city so.much harder for myself.

prfrazier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 08:19:05 AM »
When we remodelled our kitchen I had the dishwasher installed about 20 inches above the floor so I wouldn't have to bend over so much to load/unload it. Doing that obviously lifted the top far above the countertop. What we did was install cupboards and drawers above and below it to fill the space entirely. So from top to bottom we have a cupboard, microwave, pull out shelf under microwave, dishwasher, then a platter drawer.  If you do something like this you can get any dishwasher you want.

As far as even having a dishwasher..... I do a lot of scratch cooking so there are always tons of prep dishes in addition to the dining dishes. I wouldn't be without one.

Midcenturymater

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 08:20:10 AM »
Oh thanks guys. I appreciate the spending support.
My husband is less enthusiastic as it me and losing the original cupboard doors....but I just think he doesn't wash enough dishes to get this desire I have.

Oh yeah we don't have a bath either. So I bath my kids where the bath used to be in their baby bath.

We can put a bath back in. But again the lowest I can get that with tiling plumbing new bath...seems to be nearing 2_2.5 k.

Again I feel we should just shower but if course I want a bath in my house. I imagine if we ever rent the home out another family would want the bath too so maybe we have to bite the bullet on that too? Just makes me feel sick the thought of spending that much.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 08:24:31 AM »
Make your husband do the dishes for a week and then revisit the decision.  Half kidding.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 08:27:14 AM »
Considering I'm currently spending 15K to gut my original bathroom and add a new tub and tile, 2.5K sounds like a steal. :). Our plumbing work alone is 5K!

I personally would put the tub in. Once again, better for resale. I would say 3K for two essential improvements to your home is money well spent. Could you do the demo yourself on the tile shower to shave some money off?

My parents were home owners who did nothing to improve their home. That's not good either.

Midcenturymater

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 09:11:16 AM »
Haha. He does do one set of dishes on a morning....but yeah I am stay home mom preparing to return to teaching and I think we are going to need this Labour saving device for our sanity.

Thanks Jane.....well I called ten plumbers as the first quote was 5k. Now I have a guy who will do the plumbing for 1 k. Limited demo as it is a disabled space that was put in so just this plastic shell to strip out
. Plumbing.g for bath all in place underneath but shower needs to be repositioned to normal place.

The other 50 s shower room we will leave until we have to change it.

Ok so I feel a bit better spending 3_4 k on these two items. I just always question if things are an extravagance which in a way a bath and dishwasher are, especially in a state with a drought.
Good to know about the water saving element of dishwashers. We put all our rinse water on our yard though...our water consumption is lower than the 20 per cent of most energy efficient homes in our area according to the utility site
Yeeeaahhhh.
Totally justified and supported. I am getting that dishwasher!!!😁

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 09:21:40 AM »
Get the dishwasher!

Also, we were looking at some similar math for a bathtub, but then realized that there was room for a clawfoot tub in the bathroom in addition to the shower that was already there. So for less than $1000 we bought a beautiful vintage tub on Craigslist, faucets, and plumbed it in ourselves. So now we have a super cute tub and a shower and it cost less. Do you have room for one? The plumbing was intimidating, but actually not hard.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 09:31:20 AM »
Could you get a portable dishwasher instead? They have wheels and often have a nice work surface on top. Hook it to your sink when you need it, wheel it away into some closet when you don't. They're less than $700.

Midcenturymater

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 10:01:01 AM »
Frazier
Thanks...really imaginative suggestion. We have a floating 50 s kitchen which has very little wwork too. Actually I have a 20 inch by 20 inch surface o lsurface
To prep food on. That also has to have the kettle and toaster. That is my only surface in my kitchen. The other 20 by 2"0 inch surface is next to the sink which gets filled with dirty dishes.We make it work as we fell in love with the home and it was not a deal breaker. So no where to put a unit.

Zikoris...Thanks again. Really imaginative solution. But no cupboard to store it in and we hope to airbnb the place when we visit the UK for a month, some day, distant in the future. I reckon it would be a risk having a portable with the risk of pipes flooding the kitchen if not secured properly.

Apart fro. fApartffrom

Apart from a house N h car this will be the most expensive thing I have ever bought.
Excuse typos. Stupid fire phone is playing g up after one year !!!
It won't let me correct.

RReally appreciate all the input.
I'm gI'moving to drop 700 for this accepted accepteduxury.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 10:26:56 AM »
Zikoris...Thanks again. Really imaginative solution. But no cupboard to store it in and we hope to airbnb the place when we visit the UK for a month, some day, distant in the future. I reckon it would be a risk having a portable with the risk of pipes flooding the kitchen if not secured properly.

You don't need a cupboard, just a small amount of floor space - about 2 feet by 3 feet. The top of it is usually a working countertop material, so you can stick it anywhere you need extra counter space. I think it would be very difficult to flood with it - they clip to the kitchen sink faucet, so you could just turn the tap off if you needed to. They're pretty brainless to use.

StacheInAFlash

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 10:39:46 AM »
Mustachianism is about putting your money towards things/experiences/etc that you value. If a dishwasher is something you value, just get one and stop worrying about it. $700 is not an outlandish dishwasher either, and quite frankly I would never spend money on a cheap one as they are usually way louder, use more energy, and are often uglier. Now, if you were talking about a $2200 Thermador or Miele I'd have to punch you in the face, but $700 is pretty typical, let alone for a special sized one.

That all being said, if you aren't exaggerating when you say you're a couple mm away from getting the clearance you need, I'd just use a belt or orbital sander and sand the subfloor or underside of the countertop down to make it fit.

Midcenturymater

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 10:53:37 AM »
Mustache.Stache
Brilliant idea we had not thought of.
Because the tceramic tiles above are sitting in a wooden frame we are nervous of effecting that.....from vibrations of washer. But I think we probably could sand that frame that is at the top of the cupboard we are removing. J

ust nervous of buying abonJu

The lkitchen dies not have anywhere you could put a free standing unit...other than in front of the sliding doors that access the back yard.

I think we bite the bullet and get the bosch 700 one.
Like I said, it is trained into me to not be extravagant but sometimes that is self flaggelating somehow. We have rented for 25 years so have never even had the choice of having a built in dishwasher.

Thanks for clarifying that important distinction stache. I am sure the boat owner thinks their purchase is justified by that logic. So it is all on the same continuum depending on what you value. But I agree I really will value this item for years to come.  I even dreamt about it.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 11:49:12 AM »
Consider using Sears Outlet to get a cheaper dishwasher.

That said, I bought a $700 dishwasher last month and I had a completely standard space. What I was after was being able to hear other people speak anywhere on the first floor when the dishwasher was running. Not the most frugal choice but I celebrate it every day.

soupcxan

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 12:34:04 PM »
Have you actually measured a regular dishwasher in the store and compared to your space? The dishwashers I have installed have enough clearance that 2mm tighter would work fine. I would at least check this before I bought the premium one.

Midcenturymater

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2015, 02:14:36 PM »
Yes. We went and measured an actual one in a store. We can't accurately measure the space till we have taken the interior of the cupboard out and cut down to the floorboard kitchen surface. I think the space is 33.3. My husband thinks it closer to 33.1. Anyway.... 34 is standard, followed by 33.5. Under that very few options.
I think we remove all the cupboard innards before we order our washer. Husband is attached to the cupboard so is stalling on this 😁 but you are all making me think 700 is not too bad. Bosch is a good make I think. The 33.5 ones are 700 with maybe 20 to 40 per cent off.

I think that is the rub. I would rather get a 700 machine on a deal.
Yes! We love sears outlet...checked but all are standard height. So many ideas from everyone. I think we try and sand the board above where the machine goes first.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 02:17:42 PM »
So we finally bought a house...early 40 s.
It was described as a fixer.
We will not be remodelling the 1956 kitchen with original stove and burner or the original bathroom.
However I really want a dishwasher. I have never had one, nor a dryer...but 6 years into family life I just want to share the dish load.

The issue us that the space is a couple of mm short of the magic 33.5 inch height that gets you access to more machines so more deals. We can choose from three machines under 33. Inches. No deals. All $700 plus.

I just can't seem to find a way round this. I have looked into used but they always seem to be 34 at least as this is standard size.
Item will be bought outright. We will plumb it in. Have to pay electrician $60 to do electric.

My question is am I missing a way of doing this with less expense.
I know they are luxuries but since I will live and love the house as it is just about everywhere else. I feel this one purchase is really going to improve our lives.
Am I a fantasies? Any people who think dishwashers are overrated?

I line dry clothes for 4. No heating on at night. $100 on one cell phone a year. And yet I am about to splurge $700 plus on this machine.

Is there something I have missed?
This is probably not going to be helpful...

Our house built in 1947.  Kitchen had no appliances and no dishwasher.  And the depth of the counters on the side with the sink was only 22 inches - dishwashers are 24 inches deep. 

There was no way to put in a dishwasher on that side.  We considered the portable ones that you hook up to the sink and roll out of the way.

In the end, my husband ripped out the cabinets on that side of the kitchen and built new (like from scratch new), so that we could put in a dishwasher. 

$700 for a dishwasher would have been cheaper, but hey, at least the dishwasher itself was only $400. :)

Midcenturymater

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 03:03:45 PM »
Yes
..my fear is affecting the tiling above as it is in great condition and quite beautiful
 We love our mid century kitchen. We would feel wasteful pulling it out as it works fine and we find it beautiful.Our fridge sticks out several inches. Does not bother us. The depth is fine. Dishwasher won't stick out. It even fits in the existing carcass. We just have to lose the drawer and cupboard doors.

Midcenturymater

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 03:06:40 PM »
We do accept that if and when we sell, which we plan on being when our kids finish college....hoping to steer them to community college at least for half their degrees.....in 16 years time, by then a new owner would probably rip out the original kitchen, stove and shower room....but we will never choose this, unless our hand is forced.

Midcenturymater

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2015, 03:13:53 PM »
Mm1970. So wonderful your husband could do the cabinets.I think that affects choices like this. Our skill set is low but we are learning as jobs come up. I just can't shake the feeling a dish washer, because it exists, has become a luxurious necessity, and one I have never experienced so far in my half lived life. Other people's shock that we don't have one fuels my desire even more. I lie in bed thinking how many minutes of laborious choring this machine will save me and I want it so badly. I'm having it.😊😊

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2015, 03:44:57 PM »
We did a remodel on our 1960s kitchen exactly one year ago. Our countertops were hideous flooring linoleum over plywood so those were happily ripped out and we moved the built-in cabinets over (there was a hole for the small 1960 fridge) and put in a dishwasher and inexpensive prefab laminate counters. Like you, I had lived without, including while working full-time with little kids. I also hang laundry, rented forever and put up with terrible house conditions at times, did the cloth diaper route...the works.

I LOVE my dishwasher. I "splurged" on a nice model that was about what you are planning on spending. A year later, it is still my favorite thing. Any of that happiness-wearing off after purchases, taking them for granted stuff...not happening with my dishwasher. It is so nice after a couple of decades of hand washing dishes several times a day. I can stuff the machine and have more time with the kids. Evenings are bliss.

Like others have said, spending money on a luxury you will use, love, and will make your life easier can be a good value. And our water bill definitely went down.

Midcenturymater

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2015, 04:08:57 PM »
Thanks mongoose. Oh us too....still line drying but I do have a used dryer I got which we use maybe 5 times a year when the rains come and I just can't line dry.

I do feel I have earnt this convenience. 26 years since I moved out of home...no dish washer there either.I am excited!!!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2015, 06:18:19 PM »
If you have the floor space for a portable, you should seriously consider it.  Side story - there were times when there were 10 people at my parents' cottage, and my sister and I ended up doing the dishes most of the time.  One day we hopped in her car (it had more cargo space than mine), went to the local Home Hardware, and came back with a portable dishwasher.  Best single purchase that cottage saw.  We used the top (butcher block finish) as a microwave stand.  So I fully understand your desire for one.  And we realized there is less chance of a serious leak, all the plumbing is visible and it is easy to turn the tap off.  The only drawback was that the sink faucet was not available when we were doing dishes.

icemodeled

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2015, 06:47:51 PM »
Though its much more closely then most, I dont think its wrong. Its something to improve life and if you are saving money by not doing remodels, then it more justifies the cost. Not sure where they are at but stores like lowes ect will at times have 10% off coupons ect. We get them for being Discover IT credit card holders. Any of the stores have a way to get a discount? Sometimes you really have to search. Have you tried criagslist to see if any your size are on there? May not be since uncommon but could try.

we have a dishwasher and never once used it! Probably never will.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2016, 10:48:47 AM »
Mm1970. So wonderful your husband could do the cabinets.I think that affects choices like this. Our skill set is low but we are learning as jobs come up. I just can't shake the feeling a dish washer, because it exists, has become a luxurious necessity, and one I have never experienced so far in my half lived life. Other people's shock that we don't have one fuels my desire even more. I lie in bed thinking how many minutes of laborious choring this machine will save me and I want it so badly. I'm having it.😊😊
I would totally buy the dishwasher.  It's a lifesaver.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2016, 05:01:40 PM »
Things I am grateful for:
a vacuum cleaner
a washing machine
a dishwasher.

All of those things make such a difference in my life and every time I use them I am so grateful they exist and that we have them.

Neither of us had a dishwasher growing up. Actually, my husband's family (7 kids) had no clothes dryer or microwave either. When his family eventually renovated their kitchen his mum added a dishwasher and microwave (but no clothes dryer. Us Aussies are big on line drying).

Our first dishwasher was a 3rd hand one passed down by people who were renovating their own kitchens. For the first two rentals we had a dishwasher in, the dishwasher lived in the laundry and I ferried the dishes back and forth. In that second rental we also put a baby bath in the bottom of the shower for the kids. I think of that because it was a bathroom/laundry/dishwasher room all in one in that house. :)

If you want one, get the dishwasher! I think you will really be happy with it, especially when you go back to work.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2016, 05:21:20 PM »
A dishwasher is a wonderful thing and saves a lot of time. Get it!

jbfishing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2016, 08:46:01 PM »
I just replaced our dishwasher and the instructions for the new one said that the adjustable feet (used to level the washer) could be removed to gain additional clearance.  Not sure how much it gets but it should help.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2016, 09:01:54 PM »
Consider removing the flooring in that area if the cabinets/countertop are built onto the flooring itself. That will get you a few millimeters, and removing the adjustable legs can provide some more space. Other option is raising the counter-top up to provide the necessary clearance. None of these are very difficult (though the counter-top raising may take a bit of planning) and can be done for essentially no money.

Midcenturymater

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2016, 11:52:38 PM »
Thank you!
I don't think I can raise the counter top .it us very heavy which ceramic tile sitting in a wooden grid and the sink is secured into it too but I like the idea. Maybe with a different work top that would work.
I think we excavate the cupboard to double check we can't fit the 33.5. Then just go with the 700 one. Over a lifetime I am sure the difference will be small.
No microwave here. 99% line drying. One cell between us that is starting to fail. I do have A vacuum and a washer and think they are indeed amazing devices. Hey we don't even have a bath! It was removed to put in a disability shower for previous owner. The bath in last home was my one luxury. Stripped of it now I reckon the dishwasher can be my one luxury)))

Midcenturymater

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2016, 11:54:30 PM »
If only we were rich from such obsessive self deprivation....but no. We are  house poor like so many on normal incomes in California!!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2016, 12:30:04 AM »
Dishwashers are pretty simple to install so definately do a DIY..

The feet of a standard dishwasher can also be removed which will give you a few more mm.

I would remove whatever cabinetry that is currently in the way and get an actual height.. The check one on the big box store and measure how much removing the feet will give you.

You might find the standard $300 model will work in a pinch.. Heck if it came to it you might be able to relieve the floor by say 10mm .. usually the feet are scrwed into two rails that run for and aft.. you could perhaps run a skill saw set to the required depth until you have two slots wide enough that the rails drop into.

tomorrowsomewherenew

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2016, 07:04:17 PM »
My response might be a little different than everyone elses, but based on how you described your situation, not only would I get a dishwasher, but I would remodel the kitchen (so long as you can afford it/not in debt). I wouldn't put in custom cabinets and granite counters, but I do value a modern kitchen.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2016, 08:29:18 PM »
My response might be a little different than everyone elses, but based on how you described your situation, not only would I get a dishwasher, but I would remodel the kitchen (so long as you can afford it/not in debt). I wouldn't put in custom cabinets and granite counters, but I do value a modern kitchen.

Well yes but that is not a great financial proposition usually. Assuming the OP is not already FI, then why would you spend money on a house where you can expect to get back maybe 80% on what you spent on are-model?.. it doesn't make sense.

Your response seems to be based on what you personally value rather than a sound financial path forward.

Midcenturymater

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2016, 09:01:43 PM »
I think we value the aesthetics of the original cabinets and floating unit more. It is quite beautiful I find a lot of modern kitchens kind of uninspiring...certainly the.homogenous type they put in on flips with the perennial island and granite. But I am sure there are practical advantages. The way we see it is our kitchen has everything that we need. Counter space is short but the mid century aesthetics makes up for it. We will only Chang the kitchen if we have to...as on the 1956 proper oven and job give up on us. But they are great little appliances still working and we love the historical continuity. In the larder cupboard the three little boys heights are all recorded from 1961 through to the late 70 s
 And we love that.
It us interesting what we all value. I don't need a modern kitchen. I need light, beauty and peace in a house more and bespoke cabinets made in Japan in 1955 contribute to that more than a replacement kitchen would. We may be in a minority on this I accept))  but I still am prepared to sacrifice that one cupboard for a laborious reducing machine😁

Midcenturymater

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2016, 09:02:46 PM »
Roper oven and job, my phone meant to say.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!