Author Topic: Get rid of slow cooker and pressure cooker to get an InstantPot?  (Read 3269 times)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
Get rid of slow cooker and pressure cooker to get an InstantPot?
« on: November 26, 2018, 08:09:44 AM »
I think I know the answer to this one, but I'll ask it anyway.

I've been using a slow cooker (from Freecycle) and pressure cooker for decades. We use them about once a month. We also have a rice cooker. But Mr. Poundwise has gotten it into his head that he wants an InstantPot. He's threatening to go out and buy one, and if he does, it won't be on sale and he may not get the optimal model.

The only reason I'd consider one is that it is tempting to get rid of two appliances. We don't have much space in our kitchen. 

Is it really all that? If so, I will pick up a used or refurbished model somewhere. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Re: Get rid of slow cooker and pressure cooker to get an InstantPot?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 08:13:20 AM »
We absolutely love ours, and it replaced a rice cooker in addition to the slow cooker and pressure cooker so it’s definitely been space-saving (we have a small house so space is at a premium). If you can find a used model, it would be a good and inexpensive way to test it out.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 08:17:33 AM »
They are on sale everywhere right now.  Check Target, Kohls, Amazon and similar discounters.

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 08:25:41 AM »
We got an instant pot and never looked back it is, by far, the most-usedappliance in my kitchen.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 08:30:13 AM »
Glad to read this as I just bought a Cosori electric pressure cooker/slow cooker on black friday.  It cost a lot less than the IP here in Europe and it seems pretty much the same.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 08:31:27 AM »
We started with a stovetop pressure cooker but the Instant Pot is easier to use because it automatically maintains the pressure for a specific time, so we rarely use our stovetop PC anymore. We got rid of our slow cooker with our last move. We still have a rice cooker but it’s now in storage.

One thing to consider is if you’ll ever need multiple functions at the same time, ie rice with a meal. Then you’ll need to use the Instant Pot in series to make one part of the meal & keep it warm while you make the next. While the pressure part is quick, you still have to allow for the time to get to pressure & more time if a natural release is required.

We rarely use the slow cooker function of the Instant Pot. Its Low temperature is too low; use Normal for low & More for high.

For a first unit & best value for the price, I recommend the 6 quart Duo60 or Duo Plus.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 08:38:29 AM »
They're very trendy right now, which means that in another year or two you'll be able to pick up a second hand one for next to nothing from a thrift store.  Unless of course they aren't designed to last . . . in which case you would be better off with the appliances you already have.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 08:53:00 AM »
Get one of those Ninja Foodi things!

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 08:57:35 AM »
We absolutely love ours, and it replaced a rice cooker in addition to the slow cooker and pressure cooker so it’s definitely been space-saving (we have a small house so space is at a premium). If you can find a used model, it would be a good and inexpensive way to test it out.

Yes, our rice cooker is getting flaky and scratched on the inside, so it's due for a replacement anyway.  Since we eat a lot of rice with our meals, it's mandatory, and the company that made the rice cooker doesn't sell replacement "rice pots" (the inner part).

So we're getting an Instant Pot, figuring we can make faster chicken soups in it, too, and possibly save some money.

Toque.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 09:09:48 AM »
They're very trendy right now, which means that in another year or two you'll be able to pick up a second hand one for next to nothing from a thrift store.

Maybe. We bought our first Instant Pot in 2014 to test for DS’ first apartment, & bought another when he took it. We’re still using both of them. Since then, we’ve gifted 6 of them & have yet to hear about anyone who doesn’t love it & use it regularly. I think used ones at a cheap price will be rare.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 10:29:13 AM »
OP - we basically did exactly what you are suggesting, and overall we've been very happy.  Our InstantPot gets used 3-4x week and has held up incredibly well.   My only qualm is that, being round, it doesn't fit roasts as easily as our oval slowcooker.  FWIW we have the 6q 'Duo' model.  Works very well as a rice cooker, slow cooker and pressure cooker, with the added benefit that we can sauté things in-pot before switching over to pressure/slow cooker settings.  Finding out that we could skip the soak with dried beans was a revelation and has freed up a lot of pantry space from using canned beans.  The timer is also much improved from our slow-cooker; we can set just how many minutes/hours we want it to cook before it either shuts off or holds temp.  It also uses far less energy to cook the same amount of food

About 1-2x per week it gets used as an overnight yogurt maker too, which has been a big and unexpected bonus.

In short we like it so much we're considering getting a second smaller one on holiday sale so that we can do two things simultaneously.

Re: Longevity - so far so good. The InstantPot brand seems pretty robust, in about 2 years its cooked a few hundred dishes and we've had zero issues.  We replaced the silicone gasket a couple months ago, but that's because our cat used it as a chew-toy when it was on the drain-board.  I'm guessing the electronic control panel will fail first, but hopefully not for at least 5+ years (it seems pretty similar to what a microwave or modern oven use, so don't know why it would fail sooner).  Time will tell I suppose.

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 10:58:32 AM »
Also, just a note here, I can see Instant Pot Headquarters in Ottawa from my window.

https://instantpot.com/instant-brands-contact-us/

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 11:07:14 AM »
Also, just a note here, I can see Instant Pot Headquarters in Ottawa from my window.

https://instantpot.com/instant-brands-contact-us/

Somehow I didn't realize it was a Canadian brand.  Good to know.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 01:28:04 PM »
I wouldn't bother unless it gives you some functionality you do not currently have, or you really really don't have space for two devices, or one or both of your existing devices dies.

I bought one to replace my slow cooker, because I wanted to be able to use the pressure cooker function, and I liked how you could sear meats in the pan before starting the slow-cook cycle.  It's fine, but the reality is that I developed my cooking habits without a pressure cooker, and so I just don't remember to use it more than once a month or so.  And if I had already had a pressure cooker, I can't see any added benefit worth the price.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 01:32:32 PM »
When looking for a slow cooker, I read reviews online that said a dedicated slow cooker is better than the InstantPot for that function. And that's the main function I wanted, so I went with a slow cooker. Can't speak for the pressure cooking aspect though.

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 01:48:41 PM »
So just like everything in life, if you budget for it you can buy it. I have one and use it all the time- lentils/beans/peas come out amazing from dried, which leads to quite frugal meals! Rice comes out perfectly too. I don’t use the slow cooker function often because I inherited a slow cooker that I use. I second the above comment- if you’re only going to use the as a slow cooker, don’t bother. But as a pressure cooker- heck yes. I believe I got mine from around $80 a few years ago.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 01:57:02 PM »
Wow, a lot to consider!  Thanks for all this information, folks!!

So far, I'm thinking that if I were to get one, I should get an oval shaped one (if they exist).  And keep my rice cooker.

Hmm, but if I get rid of my slow cooker, I can't use it to keep chocolate melted when I'm making candies and cake pops.  And the Instant Pot can't can (not that I do that with my pressure cooker now, but it would be a nice new feature, and I used to do a lot of jam and jelly canning).

I already know how to pressure cook beans from dry, but maybe having a timer would encourage me to do it more often. Decisions, decisions.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 04:51:08 PM »

So far, I'm thinking that if I were to get one, I should get an oval shaped one (if they exist).  And keep my rice cooker.

Hmm, but if I get rid of my slow cooker, I can't use it to keep chocolate melted when I'm making candies and cake pops.  And the Instant Pot can't can (not that I do that with my pressure cooker now, but it would be a nice new feature, and I used to do a lot of jam and jelly canning).

I already know how to pressure cook beans from dry, but maybe having a timer would encourage me to do it more often. Decisions, decisions.

No oval shaped pressure cookers. Round is stronger under pressure. The whole "keystone" idea. Even forces, etc.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2018, 06:34:18 PM »
A slow cooker can’t cook frozen foods in minutes.  That alone makes it worth it IMO.  No more thawing food for hours at questionable temperatures.  Or even having to remember to thaw it ahead of time.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 11:53:52 PM »
I have two 6-qt. IP's. I love them both equally. We got them on Black Friday two years ago. I wanted an 8-qt, but they weren't on sale so the two sixes cost less. They both crapped out and were replaced promptly by the manufacturer with an upgraded model. We were not required to send them back, so now I have extra liners and gaskets, which is sweet. One lives on the counter and the other lives in the pantry. I've been known to use both simultaneously,  especially for entertaining.  I'm hosting a holiday luncheon for 100 soon and will be using four IP's to pull it off.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2018, 11:59:55 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, the IP is not a gimmick. It's pretty damn useful and there's a reason they are so popular. You can use them as a slow cooker if you want--mine has that setting--so still totally works for any slow cooker function. But I gave away my slow cooker because the IP made it unnecessary.

We got ours as a gift two years ago and knowing what I know now I'd buy it for myself new. That's saying a lot--I hate buying things new.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2018, 06:56:42 AM »
I have two 6-qt. IP's. I love them both equally. We got them on Black Friday two years ago. I wanted an 8-qt, but they weren't on sale so the two sixes cost less. They both crapped out and were replaced promptly by the manufacturer with an upgraded model. We were not required to send them back, so now I have extra liners and gaskets, which is sweet. One lives on the counter and the other lives in the pantry. I've been known to use both simultaneously,  especially for entertaining.  I'm hosting a holiday luncheon for 100 soon and will be using four IP's to pull it off.

That's awesome Dicey.  Make sure they are put onto different circuits so you don't trip the breaker. 
What's going into each of the four IPs?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2018, 05:43:48 PM »
I'll be using a commercial kitchen, so they should be fine, but I'm always mindful of this issue. I also have a roaster and a huge Wolfe stove with two giant ovens. I'll be making a Thanksgiving style meal. Sliced turkey breast, mash, stuffing, gravy, cranberry relish and some type of veg. I have been working on decor, so food details will gel after that.

I just decided to get a bunch of wine boxes. I'll pack everything needed to set one table into one wine box. This will make it super easy for my volunteers to set up the tables while I'm in the kitchen.

Today, I hit all the thrift stores, looking for the last items on my decor list and got that all done, hooray. I'll pack the boxes and then finish the menu.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2018, 06:57:06 PM »

Jams and jellies can be done on stovetop - you don't need pressure, but boiling water bath :)

I bought an Instant Pot in 2012. I use it 3-4 times a week and it's still going strong. I have never been a fan of slow cookers because I'm gone from home 12-13 hours on workdays, and had experience with stovetop pressure cookers, so it's been a perfect fit for me. In fact, I got home from work about 30 minutes ago and my IP just beeped that potato bacon soup is ready, so I'm gonna go eat!

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2018, 07:29:51 PM »
I have one and meh. It's OK but i don't love it. I'd  never used a pressure cooker before so there's that.

The instant part is overstated. It takes time to come up to pressure so i don't find a big time difference in many recipes. You can't really check along the way.  If something isn't done and needs more cooking, it takes time to bring it up to pressure again. A couple extra minutes can make food unpleasantly mushy.

If you are a big pressure cooker fan, you'll probably like it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!