Author Topic: General / Sub Contracting home improvement - good deals now?  (Read 1093 times)

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
General / Sub Contracting home improvement - good deals now?
« on: April 06, 2020, 10:54:30 AM »
Hi all,

Saw some topics discussing whether now is a good time to buy new cars (and appropriate facepunching ensued) so I'm offering up my chin here.

Wanted to get some opinions here to see if I'm off base. My wife and I have been considering hiring someone to help finish our basement, we're both full-time, essential employees with a 19 month old little one so we don't want to DIY other than easy stuff like paint / flooring. It's a 1000sq/ft, all concrete with blanket insulation on the walls, no framing, and some roughed in plumbing where a full / half bath could eventually go.

With everything going on, I was wondering if anyone had some insight into how independent contractors are doing? Is work drying up? Are they being more aggressive with their bidding?

I got a few quotes a year or so ago, but we decided to put it off. Finances and FIRE plan isn't an issue here. I plan to do some calling around, but I guess my thoughts are?

• Does anyone have any insight into whether this is being affected like other industries (e.g. car dealerships)
  • I live in a stay-at-home order state, I still see crews working on new houses being built, but does this fall under the same 'essential' category?
  • Our basement has a separate entrance from outside, but should I be concerned about lack of social distancing?
  • Am I an ass for attempting to see if there's a cost-savings opportunity here?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
Re: General / Sub Contracting home improvement - good deals now?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 09:25:29 AM »
This is about to fall off the front page, maybe I should've posted in the DIY forum?

Anyone have any thoughts here?

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 09:47:22 AM »
Does anyone have any insight into whether this is being affected like other industries (e.g. car dealerships)
I live in a stay-at-home order state, I still see crews working on new houses being built, but does this fall under the same 'essential' category?
Our basement has a separate entrance from outside, but should I be concerned about lack of social distancing?
Am I an ass for attempting to see if there's a cost-savings opportunity here?
In my state construction is considered essential but my guess is that once the current work dries up there won't be a lot of work. So maybe not right now but they may be looking for work in the next few months. That doesn't mean that prices will go down though. Construction companies will keep their highest paid people and let go of the cheapest employees. Companies will still need to charge a lot to cover those employees.
 There is also a shortage of construction workers in general which will keep prices high. Best thing to do is what you would do before covid 19 is to get several quotes but you should wait until the stay at home order is over.

rulesofacquisition

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 11:42:07 AM »
I would wait for finishing a basement, because you're not going to let the project move along sight unseen and social distancing is not going to happen.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 02:36:03 PM »
My regular handyman, electrician and painter all said they are short term busy because people staying home feel its a great time to do a project- IF they are confident in going back soon.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 05:35:36 PM »
Most of the contractors I’ve worked with are still busy.  Deals won’t happen until other people stop paying for work.  That’s not happening yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk