Author Topic: Gas rewards without credit card?  (Read 3879 times)

Buckeyes1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Gas rewards without credit card?
« on: May 13, 2017, 01:03:19 PM »
Hello,

My wife is getting a new sales job that comes with a company car/fuel card. The fuel card is directly billed to a fleet company, so she cannot use a fuel rewards card. What is the best loyalty program for gas that is not tied to a credit card? My hope is that I could use her frequent fuel purchases for savings on my gas.

Thanks!

checkedoutat39

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Gas rewards without credit card?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 10:38:17 AM »
If you live near a Kroger or Safeway grocery store with an attached gas station, check out their fuel points programs.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 01:38:28 PM »
If you live near a Kroger or Safeway grocery store with an attached gas station, check out their fuel points programs.

That won't help. Those grocery stores offer fuel points for purchases at their stores. OP is looking for loyalty points earned by purchasing gas.

OP, I've never heard of such loyalty programs. Perhaps someone else knows of one though.

sultee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 03:04:20 PM »

I second this as you can often attach your fuel points from the gas station to grocery purchases (on your user account) regardless of what card is used to purchase. If you have a family and drive often, this can churn out some very simple rewards! Here, Fry's works. I know Costco has a similar system as well

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 03:04:29 PM »
https://www.fuelrewards.com/ perhaps. You'll have to check all the stations near you and see if they offer a before-pay swipe type card.

Examples in Canada would be AirMiles, Aeroplan, Esso Rewards, etc. Usually about 0.5% in completely unrelated loyalty points.

checkedoutat39

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 04:58:58 PM »
That won't help.

Actually it might. They do give you 3¢ off per gallon just for swiping their loyalty card at the pump, and this almost always makes them the cheapest option in town.

Not a lot -- less than $1/tank for most of us -- but don't be so dismissive.

Sarah Saverdink

• Stubble
    • The Saverdinks
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 05:39:22 PM »
Irving has rewards programs. When you hit 50 gallons, you get 10 cents/gal off your next fill-up. You would need to keep track of the discount so that it was only used on your personal vehicle and not a discount on the work fuel card.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 06:42:45 PM »
That won't help.

Actually it might. They do give you 3¢ off per gallon just for swiping their loyalty card at the pump, and this almost always makes them the cheapest option in town.

Maybe Safeway does that (I don't have Safeway nearby) but Kroger doesn't AFAIK. https://www.kroger.com/topic/fuel-program
Please correct me if I'm wrong

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 04:34:34 PM »
Plenti gives points at Exxon/Mobil stations

https://www.plenti.com/partners/exxonmobil

OK... just looked up the points system and not very good.... 1 gallon = 1 point.  Points are worth a penny.    At the rate of gas I use, I'd get about $2 in rewards per year!  Not worth my time to even swipe the card.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 04:41:47 PM by JoJo »

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 05:45:31 PM »

OK... just looked up the points system and not very good.... 1 gallon = 1 point.  Points are worth a penny.    At the rate of gas I use, I'd get about $2 in rewards per year!  Not worth my time to even swipe the card.

How much is gas? 1c per $2 is about right - half a percent.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 05:47:32 PM »

Yep, this is the only one I know of! But it is a separate card, and you earn points from the fuel ups.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 09:32:43 AM »
That won't help.

Yep, this is what we do.  The grocery store partner down here (FL) is Winn Dixie, but the deal sounds the same.