Author Topic: Gas grill suggestions  (Read 12166 times)

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Gas grill suggestions
« on: September 14, 2014, 09:06:49 PM »
Now that my backyard no longer feels like an oven, I am thinking about getting a gas grill.  Any suggestions?  There are some on craigslist I might look at.  I don't need anything special, just something that works, and will last at least another 5 years. 

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
Re: Gas grill suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 03:37:16 AM »
the rule for gas grill was best put by someone who was working at Lowes.
A gas grill will last about a year for every 100 dollars you spend on it (we are talking new here).
Except for Weber - you'll pay more but for every 100 you spend on them you'll get at least 2 years out of it.

Well as I'd gone through 2 grills in 12 years - non weber - that advice matched up with my experience. Also one of my friends had a weber that had lasted forever.

The last one I bought was a Weber - new. only a two burner but very well built and sturdy. Given what I paid for it I think I'll probably be grilling on that for another 10 years. 
Its one of those things that is worth buying new and putting the money into. you have no idea how old the used ones are or how well they have been looked after and part for grills are crazy prices compared to replacing them. Weber is also US based and its pretty easy to get parts for them.

I could just have put "Get a new Weber"....

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 04:17:21 AM »
Make this +1 to MeadowLark's comments.

I've been through two gas grills, one lasted me three years ($250 retail grill) and the next one lasted me almost 7 years with a couple of repairs ($400 retail grill).  I did all the research I could and broke down and bought the two burner Weber for $400.

Best grease trap, indicates the tank fullness based on a built in scale, and the grill grates/components might as well be built for a tank.  It also seems to heat up another 150 degrees higher than my last grill. 

Its a lot of money, but I see this as a life cycle cost.  I justify it based on burgers/steak cooked at my house verses a restaurant.  I grill a LOT and even if it only lasts as long as my prior grill (7 years), thats $57/yr for the grill.  Much cheaper than a bunch of meat out at restaurants.

Murr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 06:14:34 AM »
We have a Weber Genesis gas grill which has more then paid for itself. Had it 7 years now with little to no maintenance and no issues. Weber is hands down the best quality gas grill we've had but you pay for it, mine was about $700. If I was only grilling occasionally I'd just go with the classic Weber kettle grill and use charcoal. Food tastes better in my opinion plus its more fun to use.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 09:06:27 AM »

That's funny....  My $200 grill is now 20 years old*.  That guy at Lowes must be on commission.

*Full disclosure: I have replaced the burners/grates every 4-5 years, but that adds about $150 in parts over the lifetime of the grill for a total of $350.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 11:36:07 AM »
Since I just bought a new house, there are some things I want, and some things I need.  In general, I'm a BIFL kind of person, so after many years out of the consumerist game, I've started heading back to slickdeals, fatwallet, etc. trying to get a great deal on anything that's on my "need/want sometime in the next year" list.  One of those things is a grill.

But I recently discovered thesweethome.com, which may be generally consumerist and anti-mustachian, but also seems like a great resource for BIFL type items.  Kind of like a modern Consumer Reports.  Here's their take on gas grills:

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-gas-grill-is-the-weber-spirit-e-210/

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 12:05:57 PM »
Interesting answers!  Thanks everyone.  For me this is not a BIFL purchase.  Sometime between 5-10 years from now I hope to move into an RV, and don't know if I'll want to bring the grill.  So good stuff to think about!

$200k

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 12:12:01 PM »
I've had a Weber Q1000 for the past 7 years.  Not bad for a $170 grill.  It goes well if you are an apartment dweller or on the move a lot.  In contrast, I've seen friends ditch their gas grills every time they move because of the hassle.

Great if you have a small family; great if you like to take it camping.  Also pretty easy to clean because I can disassemble the entire unit in less than 10 minutes.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 01:04:54 PM »
I've had a Weber Q1000 for the past 7 years.  Not bad for a $170 grill.  It goes well if you are an apartment dweller or on the move a lot.  In contrast, I've seen friends ditch their gas grills every time they move because of the hassle.

That's how we got our gas grill!  Abandoned by someone moving.  We don't use it very often, but it's nice to have.  Total outlay = $0.

SailAway

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 06:09:40 PM »

Great if you have a small family; great if you like to take it camping.  Also pretty easy to clean because I can disassemble the entire unit in less than 10 minutes.
This is our grill, too and DH loves it. Transports easily for picnics. I think we've had ours 4 or 5 years and it works great.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 07:22:05 PM »
We won a cheap $100 grill seven years ago and it still is fine.  Swapped out the grill when it got too rusty, but we put a cover over it to protect it and it is doing fine.

therugby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 08:28:31 AM »
We won a cheap $100 grill seven years ago and it still is fine.  Swapped out the grill when it got too rusty, but we put a cover over it to protect it and it is doing fine.
How did you win grill ? Thats good.
Interesting answers!  Thanks everyone.  For me this is not a BIFL purchase.  Sometime between 5-10 years from now I hope to move into an RV, and don't know if I'll want to bring the grill.  So good stuff to think about!
I read thousand times about Q1000 people say its great grill,What about q1400 is there anyone who had this grill,i found some reviews here http://webergrillreport.com/electric-grills/weber-q1400-electric-grill-review/ but i don't know worth or not.

hankscorpio84

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 10:01:54 AM »
I got this little grill for camping/portability.  Pretty sure I paid less than $150 at Amazon.

http://www.charbroil.com/products/gas-grills/portable-gas-grills/portable-grill2go-x200-grill

Main factor in choosing it was that it looked to be the most durable.  I thought the "tru infrared" stuff was just fancy marketing, but luckily I was wrong!  Meat cooked on this grill stays way juicier than any other grill I've owned.  After about a year its going strong. 

If you read the care instructions that come with a new grill (who actually does this, right?) they say you should clean and oil the grates after every use.  Folks who are going through a grill every year or two might want to try this to make them last longer.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 10:06:16 AM »
Weber, charcoal kettle grill.
Costs a fraction of the price of a gas grill, food tastes better on charcoal, plus waiting for the charcoal to get going allows time for a cocktail or two.
The rotisserie is a nice accessory for doing whole chickens, pork loins, prime ribs, turkey breasts, etc.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 10:09:47 AM »
WTH are you guys doing to your gas grills' leaving them out in the elements uncovered.  buy a 50 dollar cover and keep it for years.

Heywood57

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 10:34:03 AM »
My gas grill is 16 years old and with decent grill cover it be as good as new for decades to come.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 10:52:17 AM »
WTH are you guys doing to your gas grills' leaving them out in the elements uncovered.  buy a 50 dollar cover and keep it for years.

LOL.  Mine is now 21 years old and sits out in the elements totally uncovered.  Insides have been rusted out/been replaced several times, but it's a cast aluminum shell.  The only way that thing is going to go away is if I build a 1200 degree fire inside.  I don't think propane is going to get that hot.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 10:59:55 AM »
My 80$ grill lasted 7 years. I never replaced anything and the only reason I replaced (my wife made me) is because a hurricane-like wind threw it off the porch and it never worked quite as nice after.

I left it uncovered all this time.

My new grill is slightly more expensive because I wanted an enameled cast iron cooking surface. 250$ I think it cost.

Covering a BBQ is such a pain in the ass and I am not convinced it does anything.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 11:57:07 AM »
my grill was near perfect sitting in my screened in porch for 4 years then my wife decided it needed to go on the patio and the grates started rusting and the paint turned that crappy gray color.  i would assume that a cover can accomplish something very similar. 

of course climate has a lot to do with this as well.  but now 6 years in i'm selling a 200 dollar grill for 50 bucks b/c we bought a house that has one of these bad boys built in to a kitchen outdoors.

http://www.furniturefashion.com/images/Stainless%20steel%20grills%20outdoor%20cooking%20kitchenaid.jpg

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 12:09:53 PM »

What the hell are you buying a $50 cover for?  An $8 tarp with a bungee cord does the same damn thing :-P

Serious suggestion:  I've managed to get very nice grills by snatching up used ones and replacing the grill elements for ~$30. Grills are like cars; people buy them new and pay a huge amount for them.  A few years later they're ditching them for shinier models even though they have years of service left on them.

craigslist.com
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:31:29 PM by nereo »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 12:23:24 PM »

What the hell are you buying a $50 cover for?  An $8 tarp with a bungee cord does the same damn thing :-P

Serious suggestion:  I've managed to get very nice grills by snatching up used ones and replacing the grill elements for ~$30. Grills are like cars; people buy them knew and pay a huge amount for them.  A few years later they're ditching them for shinier models even though they have years of service left on them.

craigslist.com

yes 50 bucks is extremely expensive. but people here were talking about buying a new grill at a cost of 100 per year b/c of rust and failure .

i got a sports team branded one from a slick deal alert for 3 bucks. that fit perfect.

sites that should be in everyones favorites for this forum

slickdeals.net
and
craigslist.com

TheInsuranceMan

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 12:32:14 PM »
Weber, charcoal kettle grill.
Costs a fraction of the price of a gas grill, food tastes better on charcoal, plus waiting for the charcoal to get going allows time for a cocktail or two.
The rotisserie is a nice accessory for doing whole chickens, pork loins, prime ribs, turkey breasts, etc.

This, this, and this again.
Oh, and if you want gas due to ease of use, or speedy cooks when dealing with fussy kids (like my 2 year old), get a Weber.  Infrared grills are worth it, too.

But charcoal...if you have the time, without a doubt.  And that'd have to be a Weber too.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 12:33:06 PM »

My cover doesn't seem to allow enough air flow... during the rainy winter months it developed condensation and such inside.  Thinking of building it a little house (or gazebo)

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 12:37:18 PM »

I wanted one of these grills so bad.....
Looked for one of these used for a few months finally scoring one used only 2x at a moving sale $45.
Some dude tried to make it a auction luckily the sellers were nice people selling to me cash in hand. 
It is a fantastic grill.  Also have taken mine camping too.
Was able to find a stand on CL for $5 so it is one of my favorite cooking possessions.
Grill all year even in VT.  This grill is a keeper.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 12:42:35 PM »

My cover doesn't seem to allow enough air flow... during the rainy winter months it developed condensation and such inside.  Thinking of building it a little house (or gazebo)

Dragoncar: A much easier solution is just to get a couple of 1x3 furring strips and use them so the cover sits 2-3" above the top of the grill. This solves all my condensation problems when I lived in the foggy, rainy PNW.

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 12:44:38 PM »
I'm also partial to Weber. Bought a Genesis model for $500 new in 2006 and still use it. Just replaced the flavorizer bars, which had rusted out, but all in all, a great grill. And yes, definitely get a cover for it.

bognish

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2016, 12:50:45 PM »
I bought the cheapest 4 burner grill from Home Depot.  Maybe $299? I have a cover and roll it inside during the winter. Still looks fine and works great after 5 years. 4 burners is nice for indirect heat on beer can chicken. I don't get the super fancy grills and I have never seen anyone use the side burner things.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2016, 01:15:46 PM »
you guys buying retail cmon

slickdeals.net

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 02:36:47 PM »
Charcoal is the obvious choice.  If you're using a gas grill, you might as well cook in an oven.  ;)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2016, 05:07:39 PM »
Charcoal is the obvious choice.  If you're using a gas grill, you might as well cook in an oven.  ;)

I don't have a gas oven, and when I put wood chips in the oven my fire alarms go off :-(

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2016, 05:18:20 PM »

I don't have a gas oven, and when I put wood chips in the oven my fire alarms go off :-(

And the house gets hot.  Grills are awesome for not heating the house in the summer.

I actually have both a gas grill and a wood fired grill/smoker.  Wood.  Not that icky pressed sawdust charcoal crap.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2016, 06:23:25 PM »

And the house gets hot.  Grills are awesome for not heating the house in the summer.

I actually have both a gas grill and a wood fired grill/smoker.  Wood.  Not that icky pressed sawdust charcoal crap.

I poop in a box, leave it to dry for a season and then burn it the next year.  Gives my meat a nice earthy aroma

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2016, 07:05:44 PM »

I poop in a box, leave it to dry for a season and then burn it the next year.  Gives my meat a nice earthy aroma

This is the winner.

No need to post any more weak bullshit.

This is the winner.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!