Author Topic: Garmin GPS Issues  (Read 1397 times)

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
Garmin GPS Issues
« on: July 09, 2019, 04:38:13 PM »
I own a Garmin - DriveSmart 61 LMT-S GPS. I'm having problems with it and hoping someone has an inexpensive solution. The item was purchased new for $130~ in May 2018. The device suddenly stopped working this weekend in the middle of a vacation trip. I called tech support and was told the problem is my device's drivers need to be updated and that the update will cost me $70. All of my updates of software and hardware had been free until now. I feel ripped off. Do I have any options other than throwing the device away and buying a device from a competitor? (My smart phone doesn't work everywhere so I would like a satellite navigation system.)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Garmin GPS Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 07:31:27 PM »
Not sure what model I have, but I can plug it into the computer and update it. Do you have that option?

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 08:17:11 AM »
Stale data doesn't typically cause a device to "stop working."

Can you explain the failure in greater detail?

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 10:26:46 AM »
Not sure what model I have, but I can plug it into the computer and update it. Do you have that option?
Yes. When I tried to update, the "Garmin Express" update function said my GPS was up to date.

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 10:31:34 AM »
Stale data doesn't typically cause a device to "stop working."

Can you explain the failure in greater detail?
Well, the device worked okay on days 1 & 2 of our vacation. On day 3, I tried using the search bar to type in locations for destinations. Each time I typed in a destination, the device would simply restart. Oddly, if I went to the menu of recent searches, the device would readily search for those locations without suddenly restarting itself. When I called Garmin tech support, they said the issue was obsolete drivers. They said they could update the drivers but it would cost me $75 to get new drivers (roughly 50% of the cost of a new unit). This feels like a stick-up :(

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 09:11:10 AM »
That sounds like it managed to corrupt itself somehow. I'm not sure, can you do a factor reset on garmins?

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 12:57:19 PM »
That sounds like it managed to corrupt itself somehow. I'm not sure, can you do a factor reset on garmins?
Do you mean a "factory" reset? If yes, I'm not sure. I'll call tech support at Garmin to ask.