Author Topic: Gardeners: I need advice!  (Read 4052 times)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
Gardeners: I need advice!
« on: August 27, 2015, 10:14:58 AM »
In short: I need help, advice, suggestions, etc. Bring it! I have no idea what to do.

See the attached picture? That's the sceptic mount/drainage field behind our house. That lump. Yeah. Ugh. I'm not best pleased about it, but it's what's needed to ensure flushing toilets that don't flood into the foundation or the pipes, so fine, I'm dealing. But the visual is not the prettiest, and the angle of it is enough that I'm not super-keen on planting it in grass, because I think it'll accentuate the "this is a grassy lump" visual and also because I really don't feel like lugging a push mower over this every week (ahem. every two weeks.)

The vegetable garden is on the other side of the house in garden boxes. The front of the house is being planted with bulbs and lilac bushes and the like. We can't plant edibles there, apparently - some concerns about leak-through grossness from the sceptic tank.

So... HALP. I want something pretty and low-maintenance that has a chance of surviving Quebec winters and that doesn't mess up the drainage (aka: no trees, things with huge roots, bulbs, etc).

We were thinking of potentially putting the sheep field on the other side of the mound, possible with the gate running over the top of it, but that still leaves the side facing the house (what's in the picture) looking kinda blech. I was considering green options (creeping thyme? maybe? but that's a LOT of space, and would probably be pricy...) or maybe just wildflowers (suggestions?), but seriously, if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Gardeners: I need advice!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 11:31:36 AM »
A more zoomed-out shot might make it easier to say for sure, but I'd lean towards wildflowers.  It would nicely cover everything you don't want to see, and not interfere with anything already there, and be minimal work.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 11:39:43 AM »
Your best options are grass or wildflower/xeriscape mix appropriate for your are.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 02:11:00 PM »
That is what is called a Wisconsin mound in this neck of the woods.   I would stick a mast on it and tell people it is a buried Viking ship.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 10:36:15 AM »
That is what is called a Wisconsin mound in this neck of the woods.   I would stick a mast on it and tell people it is a buried Viking ship.

LOL Capsu.

OP - figure out what the native plants are in your area, I'm sure something will work and look decent. Growing from seed would be cheaper too.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 11:08:56 AM »
When these are built as leach fields, my understanding is that they're filled with sand and a very thin layer of topsoil goes over top of it. Depending on how thick the topsoil is, that will drive what you can plant there. Nothing with roots more than a few inches deep will be advisable because you don't want it interfering with the pipes. Grass is probably your best bet. Or if not grass, how about a rock garden?

Jmoody10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 11:19:26 AM »
Just went through your same problem.

Bring out some dirt and slope the sides around. This will give you a much more gradual look. Still a septic mound but much less so. This gradual slope will also allow you to plant around the hill. We do a grass/wildflower mix and spread the seed every few weeks in the spring. Your local home supply store/garden center should have a bag for your area.

On the new slopes, you can plant vegetables (no root crops for extra safety), flowers, etc.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 06:46:23 AM »
Thanks for the advice!

I'd love a buried viking ship, but not one I have to mow. ;)

Jmoody10: your solution sounds promising. I'll check what the coop has in terms of grass/wildflower mixes. Question: if there are wildflowers, do you still mow it? And does mowing it cut down on the flowers? And yeah, you're right, bringing out the slope, at least on the side facing the house, might be necessary. (Sigh: I was hoping to avoid the extra expense...) But if doing that means that we can do a garden on it and then have it look semi-intentional, that's at least a good solution, visually. And I'm pretty sure it's doable for a semi-reasonable cost, though it might need to wait until spring...

And yeah, obviously growning from seed! We've got 2 acres to set up and plant... there's no way I'm swinging the budget for actual plants (with a few exception: the fruit trees and berry bushes are being bought as plants. Everything else is being started from seed. Eeek $, otherwise!)

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 07:29:54 AM »
If you do a wild plants meadow, I think you generally mow it once a year.