Author Topic: Fun retirement jobs  (Read 19558 times)

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
Re: Fun retirement jobs
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2015, 09:02:36 AM »
Substitute teacher
Adjunct professor

We'll live on my military pension and use my part time gig for fun stuff and my photography addiction.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2015, 12:10:38 PM »
Lately I've been thinking it would be fun to work at a more local/regional (I think you would want to avoid National ownership) golf/ski resort. I figure you could play free golf and then ski for free. They also tend to be in low cost of living areas. Might be fun for a few years, maybe not forever.

Curious if any MMMers have any experience with this.

Just got to look into the tax implication of your "free" ski pass. In BC (Canada) about 10 or so years ago they made the free passes a "Taxable Benefit" and charged back retroactively - and charged interest. Turned out to sting for quite a lot of people....but tons of people around here do it and love the lifestyle :)

MissPeach

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2015, 01:07:55 PM »
I've thought about writing, dog walking (love dogs), and bookkeeping.

kiwigirls

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2015, 01:28:25 PM »
What makes any of you think anyone is going to hire your old ass?
That's not just a snide remark, it's a question.  You've been a computer programmer, business analyst, etc., etc. for a decade or two, and now you're going to just show up and compete for these low stress, funnish jobs with people who have actually been doing them a while and who actually need them? 
It may not be as easy as you think to get even these low-paying jobs once you've FIREd.
But they will get hired.  They will be relaxed, have a great attitude & great work ethic.    They will have a relative free schedule so can do the odd shift here and there to get their foot in the door and that will turn into the kind of part time/FIRE gig they were wanting.  Once you no longer need a job you become SO much more employable!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2015, 01:39:09 PM »
What makes any of you think anyone is going to hire your old ass?
That's not just a snide remark, it's a question.  You've been a computer programmer, business analyst, etc., etc. for a decade or two, and now you're going to just show up and compete for these low stress, funnish jobs with people who have actually been doing them a while and who actually need them? 
It may not be as easy as you think to get even these low-paying jobs once you've FIREd.

The cool thing is: if they don't... that's ok.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2015, 02:58:40 PM »
I'd love to work in a bookstore or coffee shop (not Starbucks). I also plan to volunteer at animal shelters. DH and I have talked about running a little furniture restoration business. He wants to do freelance web development.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!