Author Topic: Fun and walkable destination in US for first weekend away with baby?  (Read 3188 times)

gbbi_977

• Stubble
Hi everyone,

My brother lives in San Diego and I live in Chicago - each with our SOs, and each family is expecting a baby in June/July.

We want our two families to meet up somewhere fun in the US in September over Labor Day to introduce each other to each other's babies. We're both expats and I've been to SD, he's been to Chicago, so we'd like to meet somewhere else just for fun while we have a chance (he's moving back home in a year).

I'm having trouble thinking of a fun location to rendezvous. He'll be in Miami the week before our meet-up so doesn't want to be flying all the way to the Pacific NW from there and then back down to SD, even though that would have been my choice of destination (Portland or Seattle). We've both been to NYC.

With our limited knowledge of "the rest of the US" we're not sure where to go, but I'd strongly prefer it to be somewhere with a good walkable downtown so that we don't need to rent cars. Other things we're looking for: nice weather, good restaurants, good scenery - the point is really just to have a good backdrop for the two families getting together.

Any tips, suggestions? I had thought of Nashville...

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
Re: Fun and walkable destination in US for first weekend away with baby?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 07:57:10 AM »
Philadelphia? Should be pretty nice in September, lots of free history stuff to walk around and see, easy to get to. Not sure if being expats you would find all the revolutionary-era stuff interesting since you didn't have it drilled into you in school, or boring.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 08:00:42 AM »
Philadelphia? Should be pretty nice in September, lots of free history stuff to walk around and see, easy to get to. Not sure if being expats you would find all the revolutionary-era stuff interesting since you didn't have it drilled into you in school, or boring.

Philadelphia's a great choice if you like food, museums, architecture or history.  Very walkable.  I grew up there and my sister has a restaurant there, though, so I may be a bit biased.  Definitely more tourist-friendly than NYC (unless you are spending lots of cash, perhaps).

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 08:09:12 AM »
Probably any of the major cities on the East Coast. Plus from both of your locations you should be able to get a pretty cheap direct flight.

Philadelphia
Washington, D.C.
Boston
NYC (expensive)
Nashville is one of my favorites. 

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 08:19:10 AM »
Suggest Washington DC. Lots of things to do and very mustachian (most museums are free).

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 08:28:54 AM »
Personally I find DC miserable and unsettling. Military helicopters overhead constantly and huge crowds. It is probably worth going once, though.

Boston is another good choice. I have heard good things about getting around the old part of Charleston, South Carolina, but I haven't been.

In October, if you end up wanting to let the babies get a bit older, San Antonio might be worth a visit. Don't go to Texas in September.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 08:35:04 AM »
Major cities are boring - pretty much indistinguishable. Check out Charleston, Asheville, or just stick with Nashville.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 08:52:32 AM »
Are you saying he'll be flying to your meet up from Miami, then going home from there?

Savannah's quite walkable, very pretty, good restaurants. 

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 09:57:05 AM »
Charleston, SC - lots of history, beautiful scenery to just walk around and enjoy, amazing food, all-around great place. It would be harder to do with an older kid, but a baby strapped to you in a Moby will probably sleep through everything and let you enjoy.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 10:09:45 AM »
Some beautiful small tourist destination towns on the great lakes where you can rent a place and walk to everything.
Kids will be in school in September so things will be less crowded and weather still nice.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 10:20:10 AM »
Charleston and Savannah are both absolutely gorgeous. Can't go wrong with either city.