Author Topic: Full-time RV in Colorado Front Range  (Read 2116 times)

magnet18

• Bristles
Full-time RV in Colorado Front Range
« on: April 10, 2019, 09:38:43 AM »
Hi there
I currently live full time in an RV, and my wife and I are considering moving to Colorado- Boulder/Denver/Littleton/Colorado Springs... Somewhere along the front range.

Is anybody else on here full-time RVing in that area? 

Note, I'm NOT concerned about the weather, I've modified the RV and we handled plenty of -20F winter nights and -10F weeks just fine.

My question is more for if it's possible from the perspective of finding a place to park??
I notice a lot of parks are already totally booked on the weekends through September.  I'm sure we can find somewhere to park in the winter, but is it an impossible task in the Summer?

How are the mobile home parks in the area? I know some places of the country you can find nice ones, like Florida, but where I live they are pretty sketchy and there aren't many/any I would feel safe in. 

Obviously if this gets more serious we will do more serious research, I'm just trying to get an initial feel, hopefully someone on here is doing just this, if not I know there are plenty of locals that can chime in.

We're going out there soon just to look around and see the area in person for the first time, if there are any places you'd recommend checking out please comment below!

Thanks!

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
Re: Full-time RV in Colorado Front Range
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 10:07:06 AM »
In the summer BLM areas that allow you to primitive camp are your best bet if you have not book at the 6 month mark.

Summer is hard to get a site they start opening reservations for most sites 6 months in advance I try to book mine 6 months out and have 3 computers fired up logged in and ready to go the second they open and I am lucky if I get a site.

Been here all my life and it seriously makes me want to move away :(

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 10:21:03 AM »
Wow, are you trying to get weekend sites, or monthly/permanent?
At one point I looked at moving to Florida and found an RV park that would provide permanent address and give priority to people willing to sign a lease.

I'm hoping something similar exists.

I just want to move somewhere I can hike and climb mountains on the weekends, the Colorado front range is somewhere easy for me to get a job

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 11:15:01 AM »
I guess this might be wandering into real estate rather than ask a mustachian, but if I was to go somewhere more rural like the colorado springs outskirts or Pueblo, do those counties legally allow me to buy a piece of land and live in my rv on it?

Despite the fact that every campground is apparently totally full 6 months out, land is still reasonably priced even by midwest standards a commutable distance from Colorado springs
(Maybe I should start a campground?... Kidding)

Though my hopes had been for a bike to work type of lifestyle

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 10:47:17 AM »
We are more recreational so take my info with that in mind.

I know there are a few RV parks where they do long term along the front range just assumed you were looking to be in the mountains or a more scenic area.

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 11:13:49 AM »
 When you go out there on your reconn trip, pick up all the "little nickel" and "pennysaver" type small local newspaper / for sale monthlies and look through  them.
  We have a fellow out here [ not front range but similar economics + prices i think ], who year after year, advertises his 2 properties which are about 15 minutes or less from town - about 1.5 acres each , electric +water on site, septic hookup, and a shed on each. Pictures of the sites look pleasant. One has a water view, one doesn't .  $275 / $300 a month, utilities included. It seems like he is looking for a several month commitment.

I imagine looking through these papers , or a chance conversation with residents/ business owners in one of the towns you are looking at , will lead you to something similar.

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 12:25:46 PM »
We are more recreational so take my info with that in mind.

I know there are a few RV parks where they do long term along the front range just assumed you were looking to be in the mountains or a more scenic area.

Gotcha, thanks!

I would much much rather be somewhere senic, than planted in the middle of the desert going "hey I think I see hills on the Horizon", but we will be mostly stationary so something with a lease or multi month commitments where we don't have to worry about being crowded out in the summer would be ideal. 

Either way, the goal is we want more mountains and outdoor activities in our lives.  We will happily park somewhere less than ideal if we can run into the mountains every weekend.  Our favourite activities are hiking and kayaking, and doing those in the Midwest gets boring quickly.

I am seeing multiple rv parks in the pass between Colorado springs and woodland Park that offer longer term rates and leases.  Colorado springs also has some mixed mobile home/rv parks that don't look too bad as backup options, though definitely not my first choice.
I could find work in CO springs, but it might be more difficult (everything in engineering seems to need a security clearance in that city to even apply?) And I think I would prefer the jobs in boulder or Littleton.  Unfortunately I'm not seeing good housing options in my searching of those areas, very few campgrounds or even mobile home parks looking like options.  Or maybe google maps is the wrong place to be searching?

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 12:27:15 PM »
When you go out there on your reconn trip, pick up all the "little nickel" and "pennysaver" type small local newspaper / for sale monthlies and look through  them.
  We have a fellow out here [ not front range but similar economics + prices i think ], who year after year, advertises his 2 properties which are about 15 minutes or less from town - about 1.5 acres each , electric +water on site, septic hookup, and a shed on each. Pictures of the sites look pleasant. One has a water view, one doesn't .  $275 / $300 a month, utilities included. It seems like he is looking for a several month commitment.

I imagine looking through these papers , or a chance conversation with residents/ business owners in one of the towns you are looking at , will lead you to something similar.

Thanks so much for the suggestion, we'll be sure to do that!

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 04:23:28 PM »
Not sure if you're aware, but there's not much engineering in Littleton.  Lockheed is really the only game in town.  There's ULA in Centennial and a few others around in towns nearby.  A few very small players.

As you mentioned - Colorado Springs jobs usually require security clearances because most work revolves around the Air Force Academy and their projects.

I'd suggest Boulder/Lafayette/Loveland/Longmont/Ft. Collins - Lots of big and small companies growing quickly.  Aerospace, semiconductor, disk drives, software, consumer, etc, etc, etc.  LOTS of work here.  Startups, mid-size, mega corps, and academia.  It's really turning into the second Bay Area, IMHO.

I've thought about renting out my driveway to an RV.

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 10:43:24 PM »
Not sure if you're aware, but there's not much engineering in Littleton.  Lockheed is really the only game in town.  There's ULA in Centennial and a few others around in towns nearby.  A few very small players.

As you mentioned - Colorado Springs jobs usually require security clearances because most work revolves around the Air Force Academy and their projects.

I'd suggest Boulder/Lafayette/Loveland/Longmont/Ft. Collins - Lots of big and small companies growing quickly.  Aerospace, semiconductor, disk drives, software, consumer, etc, etc, etc.  LOTS of work here.  Startups, mid-size, mega corps, and academia.  It's really turning into the second Bay Area, IMHO.

I've thought about renting out my driveway to an RV.

Thanks!  Yep, i was specifically thinking Lockheed, I think I'd be a shoe+in and I'd love the work.  Same for boulder, I was thinking Ball. Doesn't need to be a mega-corp, but I have a passion for the space side of aerospace. 

I'm actually in Colorado springs today, planning to drove up through the west side of Denver and on to boulder and Longmont to see the area first-hand.  My only experience with Colorado was visiting Durango 10-odd years ago, my initial impression is it reminds me more of northern new Mexico than I was expecting.  I like northern new Mexico, but I want to see both the boulder area and the Pacific Northwest in person before deciding on an area to target.

If your driveway has some privacy and greenery who knows! Maybe I'd sign a lease.