Author Topic: Fulbright--Anyone Applied for or Received One?  (Read 4708 times)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
Fulbright--Anyone Applied for or Received One?
« on: April 04, 2014, 08:00:28 AM »
I am looking into applying this year for fall 2015 for the "artist" award and not the award for college students. I also might wait and apply for fall 2016 next year, so I don't interrupt my savings plans and FI date.

Have you applied for one of these fellowships? If so, would you care to share any tips or suggestions?

I thought I'd ask because it seems like there are a number of professors and academics on this board. Even if you aren't and you have applied, I'd love to hear your experiences.

>>>Edited to correct "scholar" to "artist."
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 09:32:19 AM by oldtoyota »

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
Re: Fulbright--Anyone Applied for or Received One?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 08:27:12 AM »
Oldtoyota, are you an academic?

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 09:31:28 AM »
Oldtoyota, are you an academic?

Nope. Are you? I have published books though.

Your question made me realize I'd written "scholar" when I meant to say "artist." I'm only just learning about the different kind of awards. New to this...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 09:33:21 AM by oldtoyota »

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 11:24:24 AM »
I am a Fulbright Alumn.
Not sure how relevant my experience is to your plans (I applied in another country and this was quite a few years ago),
but I'd be happy to answer questions you may have. Just pm me if you would like to know more.

To the date I am still a paying (no, no facepunches! pls) member of the Flubright Alumni network.
I will be forever grateful for this wonderful opportunity and tremendously rewarding experience, which
enabled me to get a Master's degree in the US. Something I could not have afforded by myself!
My year as a Fulbright Scholar is one of my fondest memories, among the best times of my life.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 12:34:06 PM »
I applied but unfortunately I was not selected.  From my experience I learned that it is adventageous to be affiliated with a university (because I applied two years after finishing my master's, I applied as an independent).  Also, most large universities have a designated individual to be your sponsor (basically, an administrator).   
best advice - start early and contact the sponsor.  There were seminars and office hours that I couldn't make because of time and distance (I had moved to another state).  I think being an independent really torpedoed my chances.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions
N

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 01:27:55 PM »
I was a professor in China on a Fulbright.  I do have a few suggestions that might apply in any Fulbright application:
1.  Do not hesitate to talk, perhaps by email, with the Fulbright person in charge of the country/program to which you are applying. Always be upbeat.  Be willing to go where they want to send you.  In China, they wanted people happy to go to "second tier" cities rather than Beijing and Shanghai.
2.  They might be able to give you the names of previous successful applicants to better guide you. 
3.  Look for programs that you fit.  For me, China was the only viable option because they were happy to have courses taught in English.
4.  Keep in mind that, at least in my experience in going to China, they were as concerned with past travel experience/ability to live in a city that did not have many English speakers as they were with professional accomplishments.  They are looking for people who are adaptable and will not be a big pain.
5.  Some positions seem to be selected more by the sponsoring institution.  (Mine was not.)  In that case, you may want to try to have the sponsor request you.  Unfortunately, sometimes those are prearranged. 

I had a wonderful semester experience; wish I had signed up for the full year!  Accommodations were modest, but right on campus.  There were no English speaking medical facilities, etc, in the city. I met some expats through my daughter's international school (which was great).  My students were the best, really hard working and friendly.

In my experience, the Fulbright program provided what was needed (housing, brief orientation, suggestions for insurance, etc) but they by no means hold one's hand.  So make clear you are comfortable taking the initiative.  Oh, and financially things worked out great for me, as I received my regular salary, free housing, free school for my daughter,  and lived in an area with low food and public transportation costs.

historienne

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 02:49:44 PM »
I had a fulbright in grad school.  Are you applying to visit the US or to go from the US to another country?  I did the latter, and agree with some of the advice upthread - it is an advantage to be willing to go to less-popular cities, and to apply to less-popular countries. 

I don't know much about the arts award, but certainly for the research awards, the project statement is the major selection criterion.  If you have any kind of academic affiliation, even to your undergrad alma mater, it would be worth reaching out to see if they can help you.  Colleges love to advertise that their alumni have gotten awards like this, so they are likely to be willing to help.  They might be able to give you samples of successful applications, or even provide feedback on your own. 

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 09:03:33 PM »
I applied but unfortunately I was not selected.  From my experience I learned that it is adventageous to be affiliated with a university (because I applied two years after finishing my master's, I applied as an independent).  Also, most large universities have a designated individual to be your sponsor (basically, an administrator).   
best advice - start early and contact the sponsor.  There were seminars and office hours that I couldn't make because of time and distance (I had moved to another state).  I think being an independent really torpedoed my chances.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions
N

Thanks! I do know a person in my preferred country at an affiliated university. Hope that helps me!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 09:04:03 PM »
I am a Fulbright Alumn.
Not sure how relevant my experience is to your plans (I applied in another country and this was quite a few years ago),
but I'd be happy to answer questions you may have. Just pm me if you would like to know more.

To the date I am still a paying (no, no facepunches! pls) member of the Flubright Alumni network.
I will be forever grateful for this wonderful opportunity and tremendously rewarding experience, which
enabled me to get a Master's degree in the US. Something I could not have afforded by myself!
My year as a Fulbright Scholar is one of my fondest memories, among the best times of my life.

Thank you! I will PM you.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 09:09:41 PM »
Thank you for all of the tips and advice. I am friends with two of my professors from grad school, so I will ask them. One of them received a Fulbright, and I plan to ask for a rec letter.

There's one program that seems like an especially good fit for me. If I get rejected, I will try again later.

My target country prefers, I think, first-time Fulbrights. So, I'd have that going for me. =-)

At the moment, I am going full steam ahead with working on the project plan. However, I do need to consider whether it would be smarter to apply in 2015 instead (which would be for an award in 2016). That way, I'd be starting around the time I'd be FIRE instead of interrupting my momentum.