Author Topic: Frugal vegan cosmetics options?  (Read 4772 times)

moustacheverte

• Stubble
Frugal vegan cosmetics options?
« on: October 29, 2015, 11:36:01 AM »
Hi,

We find cosmetics ridiculously expensive. We can't help but feel scammed every time we go out of the body shop with 50$ less in our pockets for 100 mL of some face cream.

We are looking for vegan cosmetics in Canada... That usually means $$$$$$$. How do you keep this spending down without compromising on your skin?

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Frugal vegan cosmetics options?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 11:57:22 AM »
What kind of products are you looking for, specifically?  I really think the body shop is a "greenwasher."  Look at the ingredients, there are all kinds of stuff you probably don't want to put on your skin in their products.

I spend very little on cosmetic type stuff, and I try to be careful not to use products that have been identified as hormone disruptors or carcinogens.  This usually means using either nothing, or some type of food.

moustacheverte

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
What kind of products are you looking for, specifically?  I really think the body shop is a "greenwasher."  Look at the ingredients, there are all kinds of stuff you probably don't want to put on your skin in their products.

I spend very little on cosmetic type stuff, and I try to be careful not to use products that have been identified as hormone disruptors or carcinogens.  This usually means using either nothing, or some type of food.

Interesting, care to share? That's the thing with these products, it is virtually impossible to find something that is not snake oil and carcinogens-ridden. But my SO insists on using cosmetics for her face because she doesn't want to have wrinkles when she gets older. I have no idea about these things so I can't really offer her any advice or alternatives

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 01:46:57 PM »
But my SO insists on using cosmetics for her face because she doesn't want to have wrinkles when she gets older.

Pretty sure the only way to achieve this is to die young.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 02:27:44 PM »

Interesting, care to share? That's the thing with these products, it is virtually impossible to find something that is not snake oil and carcinogens-ridden. But my SO insists on using cosmetics for her face because she doesn't want to have wrinkles when she gets older. I have no idea about these things so I can't really offer her any advice or alternatives

Probably a basic moisturizer (coconut oil or olive oil?) and staying out of the sun will do it as good as any potion the stores are hawking.  IDK, I'm sure it depends on skin type/genetics.  At 36 I have virtually no wrinkles, but 36 is not that old (relatively?).  I wear a hat and sunglasses a lot.  I do what I can, but I'm comfortable with aging gracefully.  That means just being okay with the fact that it's gonna happen.  Fighting it with cosmetics is probably very secondary with stuff like eating right, exercising, and seeking shade.  If cosmetic concoctions did it so easily, everyone would look 30 at 50.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 11:31:48 AM »
Coconut oil as a moisturizer . . . apple cider vinegar and/or vitamin e oil as facial toner.  For make up, Pacifica.  They are not cheap (also not crazy expensive), but they are 100% vegan and awesome.  I am very happy with the quality relative to the cost.

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 02:53:30 PM »
I second the recommendations for coconut oil and apple cider vinegar! I don't use anything else for cleanser/moisturizer. Natural bar soap for my body. Other cosmetics (shampoo, makeup) I just get at the drugstore ... probably not vegan but definitely frugal.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 03:33:29 PM »
I'm Australia Kmart has a vegan line but not sure if that's available on Canada. Lots of sensitive skin products (e.g. oatmeal moisturiser and mineral makeup) are also vegan and certainly don't leave a $50 hole in your pocket if you stick to the cheaper brands. Also wait for buy two get one free sales, this makes a big difference for me also.

purplish

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 09:52:32 PM »
So random but apparently Wet n' Wild is not tested on animals, and is mostly vegan :)  That's about as inexpensive as you can get! 

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 10:44:55 PM »
Check out the recipes in Zero-Waste Home by Bea Johnson. She uses cocoa powder for bronzer/blush and has a DIY four-ingredient mascara.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 10:07:19 AM »
Less of everything. I share my kids' Babyganics sunscreen and moisturize at night with coconut oil. I wear makeup only on special occasions. Was my hair with baking soda. Wax with homemade sugar wax.

Nothing you put on you skin is REALLY going to change it. What matters most is what you are doing on the inside.

tthree

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 06:21:22 AM »
www.natural.ca  This is a company out of QC.  Some of their products are vegan.  I have been using their shampoo bar and soap for years.

www.pureanada.ca  This is a company out of MB.  Their on-line store is tied to other "natural" body products stores, so the selection is great.  I have been impressed with their moisturizer, loose mineral foundation and mascara.  And also buy deodorant from one of their partner companies.