Author Topic: Frugal Short Stay in Québec City  (Read 1882 times)

GeekyGirl

• Stubble
Frugal Short Stay in Québec City
« on: February 08, 2017, 03:22:46 AM »
Hello al,

MrGeek (my DH) has to go to Québec City in April to visit the family of a friend who passed away. He's planning on just staying 3 nights. So he'll fly from Paris a Friday morning, arrive the same Friday evening in Québec and return the next Monday afternoon. This is a very closed friend to him so he has to go, but we were not prepared for it and want to do it as frudally as possible.
What he needs:
  • Flight RT Paris to Québec
  • A place to stay for three night
  • Transportation from/to airport and from the place he's staying to friend's place
  • Food and other necessities for the 4 days stay and 2 days travel

We have done some research and came with an estimate of €700
  • Flight RT Paris to Québec: 450€
  • Airbnb for three night: 50€ (70 CAD)
  • A rental car from Avis for three days (115 CAD) + fuel gaz(?): 100€
  • Change for food and others: 100€ (140 CAD)

For the canadians on this board, is that reasonable? Especially:

• We used Google flights to identify the best and cheapest flight, it is an Air Canada flight, I'm not sure we can have better but any other idea would be welcome.
  • We have no idea on fuel gaz price and just estimated that 30 CAD would be enough. For some perspective, he'll be staying next to Laval University and won't move around a lot. This is a sad situation and he won't do tourist visits or anything so just from/to airport and from his place to the family.
  • We used Avis for the rental car, is there any other frugal option? I suggested Uber but we don't know about rates and we thought that he'll be independent with the car. I am open to other suggestions.
  • We used Airbnb and it is aound 16-25€ per night. We chose the cheapest option at 54€ for the entire stay. Any better option?
  • I would also appreciate any insight or estimates on food. He'll have some meals with the family he's visiting but we want him to have some options for snacks or late night hungers, etc. 

Thank you for reading and I would appreciate any suggestion or ideas you have to share.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 04:54:48 AM by GeekyGirl »

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
Re: Frugal Short Stay in Québec City
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 06:13:18 AM »
Hi, I'm really sorry that his visit to Québec City is for such sad circumstances. In terms of flight and Airbnb, the prices you found are very reasonable. For the car, in what area is his friend's family? If his Airbnb is close to Laval University, as are his friend's family, he may not need one. Taxis are plentiful, as are buses. It would be cheaper to get a 3-day bus pass for example, than rent a car. Even with the taxi/uber to and from the airport.
And for food, if he's in an Airbnb, he can get a few things from the grocery store for even less than 140 CAD.

GeekyGirl

• Stubble
Re: Frugal Short Stay in Québec City
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 06:25:37 AM »
Hi, I'm really sorry that his visit to Québec City is for such sad circumstances. In terms of flight and Airbnb, the prices you found are very reasonable. For the car, in what area is his friend's family? If his Airbnb is close to Laval University, as are his friend's family, he may not need one. Taxis are plentiful, as are buses. It would be cheaper to get a 3-day bus pass for example, than rent a car. Even with the taxi/uber to and from the airport.
And for food, if he's in an Airbnb, he can get a few things from the grocery store for even less than 140 CAD.
Thanks TravelJunkyQC, the family is around Laval University as well which is why we're taking an Airbnb close by. The buss pass is a great idea, can he buy it there? Do they a web site with the rates and routes?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!