Author Topic: Frugal out of town travel - Mustachian in training - WWYD?  (Read 2374 times)

ahicks07

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Frugal out of town travel - Mustachian in training - WWYD?
« on: July 07, 2014, 05:21:30 PM »
Hello folks,

I've been reading the MMM Blog for a little over a year now, but just recently joined the forums. I'm a fan of another financial guru that many of you don't think too kindly of, so I won't go there, but I've gotten alot of great ideas and tips from the MMM boards, so I figured I would ask your advice on this one:

I'm traveling out of town from Atlanta to Raleigh NC in mid August for a networking convention. I'm trying to do this trip as frugally as possible. Round trip Megabus ticket from Atlanta to Durham NC was only $3.50 after I paid the booking fee. The convention is at the Raleigh convention center on a Saturday from 10am to 9pm, and there is a social networking event that begins at 9pm until - whenever. My bus arrives from Atlanta Saturday morning at 5:30am, and my return trip leaves Sunday morning at 7:00am.

Here's my question: I'm trying to find a way to get from the Durham Transportation Center to the Raleigh Convention Center, and back. I have looked into several options, including local bus routes, greyhound, and amtrak from durham to raleigh, etc, and taking into consideration their drop off locations in relation to the convention center and the walking or local bus options to get there.

I've pretty much determined that I have MANY options (and 4 1/2 hours to kill to do so) to get from Durham to Raleigh Saturday morning, and can do so easily for less than $10, no matter what option I choose to do. The problem is the return trip from Raleigh to Durham.  The last local bus leaves at approximate 9:30 Saturday night to go back to Durham.

I'm not against missing the social networking event in order to meet the local bus in time to get back to Durham.  But there are many other factors involved. If I don't get a hotel room to stay, where can I hang out over night that's safe? I thought about hanging at the airport, but that's only halfway to Durham and I would still need to get from the airport to Durham before the bus leaves and I still run into the same issue that the public transit doesn't start running early enough on Sunday morning for me to meet the megabus at 7am.

Easiest, least mustachian option is to get a hotel room in Raleigh and catch a cab early in the morning. Taxi far estimator say the rate will be approximately $70, and that doesn't include the cost of the hotel!

I looked at shuttle options to the airport from raleigh, and to durham from the airport (2 leg trip) I looked at greyhound, amtrak, etc back, but all those schedules arrive AFTER my megabus is supposed to depart... I feel like I've looked for every idea I can possibly think of, and I'm running out of ideas.

So... that's why I'm turning to y'all. Maybe some of you guys are local and have some other ideas to share that may help me out. So far, I've only spent $3.50 on this trip, not including my convention ticket. Trying to keep the total cost under $100 if possible... hotel room included if I can manage, but as quick a turn around as this trip is going to be, I figure I can shower before I leave and shower when I get home and sleep on the bus and I'll be fine.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
Re: Frugal out of town travel - Mustachian in training - WWYD?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 10:11:11 PM »
I would get a hotel near the airport.  There are some that have good ratings and are under $70 a night.  In the morning, take the shuttle to the airport or somewhere close by.  Then, keep in mind I am a little crazy, I would negotiate with a cab driver at the airport for a cheaper fare.  Maybe you can find someone to split.  Have you thought of posting a craigslist ad?

If you keep your expenses down for the rest of the trip, I don't see a problem with spending $200 for a networking opportunity.

SondraRose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Frugal out of town travel - Mustachian in training - WWYD?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 06:27:26 AM »
I would couchsurf or stay in a hostel and either pay my couchsurfing hosts to drive me or check into renting a car.