Author Topic: Frugal marijuana use?  (Read 16212 times)

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Frugal marijuana use?
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2018, 10:57:33 AM »
Replace the smoking for sleep with masturbation.

Now THIS idea I can get behind!

The problem with this is that it's way more fun to jill off high lololololol
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 11:00:48 AM by madgeylou »

mxmoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2018, 11:06:53 AM »
I thought that pot was less addictive than caffeine?

For me, it isn't. It's more of a psychological thing but I do have physiological effects when I stop entirely. I could quit caffeine easily and have done so in the past - it's been far more difficult for me to change my pot habits.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2018, 11:41:53 AM »
I tend to treat anything that gets to the "I need XYZ..." stage as a problem to address. Caffeine, alcohol, pipe tobacco, etc.

shawndoggy

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2018, 01:24:24 PM »
this thread is now making me feel real guilty over needing my morning cup of coffee to "get things moving."  Sure I can quit, but I LOVE it!  I'll quit when I retire, I promise!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2018, 01:27:48 PM »
Yeah I’m working from home today and really wanna bust out the vaporizer. Must resist...

austin944

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2018, 01:40:31 PM »
Do you know how addiction works? It's not as simple as "just quit".

It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy when you think of it that way.  Baby steps can work, but you have to accurately measure your progress.  And it's all too easy to deceive yourself that you are making progress towards your goal if you continue to smoke even a little.  The person inside who craves the smoke is not going to give it up so easily and will do anything to deceive the rational mind.  It's like the fox guarding the hen house.  The fox must be confronted head-on and you can't underestimate the intelligence of the fox.  I'm not judging here, that's just the way it is with us humans.

Smoking is going to interfere with an exercise routine, so the more exercise you do and the more you enjoy it, the greater power you will have to quit.

drachma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2018, 01:51:30 PM »
this thread is now making me feel real guilty over needing my morning cup of coffee to "get things moving."  Sure I can quit, but I LOVE it!  I'll quit when I retire, I promise!

I quit caffeine but I really do miss the morning cup. my problem is moderation. I seem to build a tolerance very quickly and before I know it im sucking down a whole pot in the morning... when it got to the point of me getting a headache if I don't get my cup in the morning, I realized I needed to stop.

Caffeine had far worse withdrawal symptoms than pot. Nasty headache for several days and feeling really slow/sluggish in the mornings before I got used to not having a constant drip of caffeine. Pot for me was just the decision to stop, some weird dreams for a few weeks and thats about it.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2018, 10:27:08 AM »
I thought that pot was less addictive than caffeine?

For me, it isn't. It's more of a psychological thing but I do have physiological effects when I stop entirely. I could quit caffeine easily and have done so in the past - it's been far more difficult for me to change my pot habits.

Kudos to you for at least trying to work on the problem. 

Youll have to experiment to find what works best for you.  As you say, this isnt really a physical addiction, it is more of a habit that you have to break. 

If you have a routine for your consumption try breaking that routine by skipping a couple of iterations.

Ironically, due the the illicit nature of this habit ( in most of the country it's still illegal and frowned upon by most polite society ) most of us that use have also developed routines around that use.  Things related to where we hide our stash (hehe not how we normally use that term around here) or where we smoke. 

The nature of those routines, the cycles, create something of a ritualization which makes it even more psychologically habit forming.  You have to consciously take control of you brain to intervene and stop some of those cycles.   So maybe dont think of it as not using per se but rather as breaking more behavioral cycles that lead to that use.   Adjust the circumstances that coincide with your habitual use and see if it helps reduce the reflexive use. 

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2018, 11:35:10 AM »
No tips on how to stop smoking, please, I'm not there yet :P

Sorry, but I would quit.  Get outside and take a walk, bike, or get some other form of exercise.  Feel the warm sun on your face.  Start today.  A little exercise does wonders.

I found a 12 step program very helpful.  I tried quitting lots of times before that with no luck.  And I identify as an athiest, for what it's worth.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2018, 01:41:39 AM »
I'm aware it's a lot, which is why I'm asking for advice! I make $72k currently and live in Cleveland, so I do have a lot of disposable income. I dream of what I could save if I could stash that money away instead of burning it (literally) on weed.

Your phrasing there makes me concerned that you have a problem. And that's not because it's weed - I'd have the same concern if it was cigarettes, or booze, or anything. If you find that you "need" weed - for any reason, that's not good. The key with any of these substances is that it's something you enjoy, but if for whatever reason it wasn't available, you'd shrug and move on with your day.

I recommend that you try not using weed in any form for a month. One full month. At the end of the month, sit down and reflect on how it went. How do you feel? How are you sleeping, hows your work, family, and social lives? Really honestly reflect. More than that, figure out the person who cares for you, wants the best for you, and will give you brutal truth when necessary. Ask them if they've noticed anything different about you over that month.

Once you've done that, then decide what level of consumption you're ok with, both personally and budget wise. Then stick to it.

Oh I'm well aware that I have a problem. I'm physically and psychologically dependent on it, I've admitted that. It's not quite as simple as "just stop smoking" for a month, and you'll notice I specified that I didn't want that kind of advice. I am looking for ways to be more frugal with my weed usage, like using economical vapes or using a pill case to track how much you use.

I have smoked in the past, but I never inhaled.

According to my PSY100 textbook, it's not possible to be physically dependent on marijuana. However, it's very possible to be psychologically dependent. Your behavior seems to be consistent with psychologically dependence. Marijuana is very unique because it has reverse tolerance properties. It stays in your system for 30 days. The more is in your system, the easier it is to get high. This is why many people do not get high their first time smoking pot.

To eventually stop being psychologically dependent, I would first try to go smoke free at least one day/week. I would replace the smoking in front of the television with exercise. You will need to avoid the physical environment that is associated with smoking pot. When you get home from exercise, do not sit on the couch. Go directly to your bedroom.

I think one month of being smoke free would be the best, but you are not there yet. Start with one day/week and try to get some momentum. You might need to avoid hanging with your friends for one month. It's doable. After the one month, you can go back to smoking, but there is a good chance you will no longer be psychologically dependent.

For frugal consumption, I would stick with a bong.

Stimpy

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2018, 08:50:35 AM »

Sorry, but I would quit.  Get outside and take a walk, bike, or get some other form of exercise.  Feel the warm sun on your face.  Start today.  A little exercise does wonders.

Actually some people can "just quit" though I won't argue that everyone can do such things.  Whether you can or can't is something only you can know (or find out!).

That being said, I am not saying you should quit.  We all have our "sins" after all, and it seems like you are taking advice to at least tapper use, and replace it with healthier activities (The gym is a GREAT start!).   Here is hoping you succeed in cutting cost and use!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2018, 09:53:10 AM »
I spend between $50-100/month, and it seems to last forever. 1g ground up = ~10 small bowl packs.....if you're burning through 7g a week then I would cut consumption by 50%.....you will enjoy it more when you do smoke.

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2018, 11:52:34 AM »
OP ck your messages.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2018, 12:13:05 PM »
Honestly it sounds like there's a dependency and you should get help with that. I recommend talking to a counselor who specializes in addictions. Marijuana might not be organically addicting, but it can turn into a dependency for sleeping, eating or social situations.

Another actionable tip I recommend: invest in a vaporizer. I bought the original model of the PAX for $200. It's paid itself back at least twice just in efficiency. Not to mention it doesn't involve taking a bunch of smoke into your lungs. The PAX has gone through two more iterations since and the newer ones are even better. Smoking once a week for me and my S/O, I go through 1/4 in about 6 months. Half an ounce for an entire year is pretty good.

I also recommend growing it if you're interested in the botany/science (so long as it's legal). The minute it becomes legal in my state, I'm growing. I've been fascinated by growing and would really like to take it on as a hobby. Problem is, I don't actually smoke a whole lot so I guess I'd have to give away a lot of it to friends!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2018, 12:45:58 PM »
I also recommend growing it if you're interested in the botany/science (so long as it's legal). The minute it becomes legal in my state, I'm growing. I've been fascinated by growing and would really like to take it on as a hobby. Problem is, I don't actually smoke a whole lot so I guess I'd have to give away a lot of it to friends!
Hi it's me ur friend please send

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2018, 12:57:03 PM »
How much time do you spend watching TV on average?

If it's several hours every night, that might be more of a concern than the smoking. It's been discussed that it's not a physical addiction so much as a psychological habit and TV can be the same way. When I lived with smoking roommates, the smoking wasn't as much of an issue as the time wasted watching a TV. I remember nights where I couldn't get the TV fix in and I had this nagging feeling like I had missed out on something but of course I hadn't missed anything.

As for the cost, others have made good suggestions but even just rationing would be a good start. You really can bring your tolerance down but TV and smoking are a bad combo, it's too passive. Even if it's good TV, you're going to get bored and reach for the bowl. Maybe try rationing your TV time first?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2018, 07:30:44 PM »
Hi it's me ur friend please send

+1

whatupjeffy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2018, 11:44:22 PM »
CBD oil is a good alternative. $300 dollars on pot is way too much for me. I hope you find what you're looking for. All the best.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2018, 09:00:33 AM »

Judges have "encouraged" plenty of people to "just quit".  It's amazing how the serious actions a judge can take will get you to quit immediately.  Might not be "fun", but it works!!  lol

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2018, 06:10:11 PM »
During the week, maybe try replacing the pot with CBD oil for sleep?  May or may not work, but it is commonly used for insomnia.  I see two potential benefits:

1 - It's legal, so you benefit from price competition.  It's still going to cost money, but quite possibly less than the pot you are currently buying.
2 - Because it doesn't have the THC, you'll be taking a break from that during the week, so you'll need less pot to get high when you are actually trying to do so.

Very good idea! I've heard a lot about CBD but haven't ventured into it yet. I should try that on weekdays.

If interested, here is a posting I made on the subject:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/making-cheap-cbd-oil/msg2087316/#msg2087316

Also, you CAN get high from industrial hemp...  It's just a matter of knowing the chemistry.  Industrial hemp must be under .3% THC by dry weight to be sold in all 50 states.  But as with regular cannabis, there may be little to no THC in the buds, but there is THC-A.  So what does this mean???  Well, after decarboxylation (basically toasting the plant material for 40-50 mins @220 degrees or so), the THC-A, converts into THC.  I have bought lab tested industrial hemp with ZERO % THC, yet after the heating step wind up with a product of about .5% THC.  It just takes a little bit of time to read the lab report for the hemp you want to buy, to see which ones will convert to the most THC, if desired.

Sure, it may take 5-7 grams of this hemp material to work, but when put through just a bit of mortar and pestle time, you have a product that looks just like ground cumin.  Mix it in some coconut oil to extract the THC, and you now have a mix containing 25mg or so of THC.  Buying a 1/2b of very good quality hemp for about $70 makes A LOT of very good CBD oil, and other medicine.  Good luck.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2018, 09:23:51 PM »

Judges have "encouraged" plenty of people to "just quit".  It's amazing how the serious actions a judge can take will get you to quit immediately.  Might not be "fun", but it works!!  lol

It doesn't work for everyone, even for judges.  Yes, some people can 'just quit', but that doesn't mean everyone can.  Everyone's addiction is different.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2019, 09:23:18 PM »
I am a smoker too. Nut I don't smoke marijuana. Just weed and I use bong as you do.

lol wut?

Marijuana isn't addictive on the level of tobacco or opiates, but it's definitely addictive for some, including physical withdrawal symptoms.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2019, 04:24:21 AM »
I am a smoker too. Nut I don't smoke marijuana. Just weed and I use bong as you do.

lol wut?

Marijuana isn't addictive on the level of tobacco or opiates, but it's definitely addictive for some, including physical withdrawal symptoms.

Pretty sure this was written while stoned

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2019, 07:37:46 AM »
The obvious answer is just to grow your own.  It's super simple, it's literally a weed.  Even if it's not legal to grow, who cares? Just be smart and don't get caught.  If you'd have started when you started this thread you'd have a near endless stash by now.  You will be able to sell off enough to completely cover all of your expenses as well making the entire hobby profitable (although if you include your time spent you'll probably find you are working for below minimum wage, but with the benefit of a free supply). 

If you can get access to vape cartridges I highly recommend them.  The value of vaping cartridges is many, many times the value of smoking the actual flower.  Dollar for dollar a vape cartridge will last about 5 times as long as flower in my experience.  So instead of $300/mo on weed you could be spending about $60/mo on cartridges.  I recommend platinum vape brand.  Vape cartridges also have the added benefit of not being nearly as smelly so you can be super discreet about it, going so far as to vape right in the house without people being able to smell it/you.  Or if you really love the experience of smoking flower (who doesn't?) then you can just supplement with the vape cartridges to still bring your overall budget way down.

If you're unable or unwilling to grow, and you can't get access to vape cartridges, then you should probably scale back consumption.  Taking a day off each week instantly reduces your consumption by 1/7, plus it will actually lower it more because you'll need less the remaining 6 days.  Also you already seem to be smoking bowls, so this may go without saying, but joints are super wasteful.  Bowls are more efficient, and one hitters are even more efficient.

If you're getting it from the same source all the time try to switch up to another source, or at least another strain from the same source.  You'll develop a tolerance to a specific strain, and it would be much more effective for you to be constantly switching so you aren't consuming the exact same weed every day.

I also find pairing smoking with vigorous physical exercise increases the high and reduces the quantity needed.  I don't know exactly what is going on, but vigorous exercise synergizes with the effects of getting high.  You will get more exercise, use less weed, feel higher, and sleep better. 

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2019, 10:01:07 AM »
Thread is over a year old, folks. 

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2019, 10:02:49 AM »

And the poster that drug it up out of the depths deleted their post

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2019, 10:05:36 AM »

Probably removed by mods, they were spamming other threads with links too.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2019, 10:26:22 AM »

And the OP was last active over a year ago.

LOL. Damn necroposts.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2019, 10:40:23 AM »
Oh damn, I didn't even notice it was from 2018.  I thought it was only a few months old.  Shame. Shame.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2019, 12:18:50 PM »
Still there are some valuable lessons here.

1) Pot is addictive no matter what anyone says. People are blowing thousands of dollars per year and risking prison to get the intoxication. They’re ruining their financial and professional futures for the sake of it. The term “addictive” does not mean 100% of people who try it will become addicts, just as most people who’ve tried tobacco or alcohol don’t become chain smokers or alcoholics, but if you are one of the unlucky ones like the OP, it is a habit that could grow and fuck up a lot of things in your life. This would be true if pot were legal.

2) Asking how to be a more frugal addict is like asking how to save money on gas while driving a poorly tuned Tahoe XL with the tires half flat. At some point the solution is to somehow change the lifestyle. If one has an addiction, even if it is to goddamn coffee, the only rational solution is to find a way out of it. No need to FIRE being a wage slave only to become a slave to a substance.

3) In the OP’s position, the rational thing to do would be to drop a couple thousand on addiction treatment. That investment would pay for itself even if it only reduced one’s consumption. No need to gamble even a dollar on stocks and bonds until the addiction is controlled.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2019, 01:13:10 PM »
1) Pot is addictive no matter what anyone says. People are blowing thousands of dollars per year and risking prison to get the intoxication. They’re ruining their financial and professional futures for the sake of it. The term “addictive” does not mean 100% of people who try it will become addicts, just as most people who’ve tried tobacco or alcohol don’t become chain smokers or alcoholics, but if you are one of the unlucky ones like the OP, it is a habit that could grow and fuck up a lot of things in your life. This would be true if pot were legal.

The bolded claim tells me you don't know what you're talking about with regards to addiction. It is an accurate statement, but anyone who knows anything about drug addiction would realize it goes without saying.

When people make the claim that pot is not addictive, what they're generally referring to is physical addiction. Even this isn't entirely accurate as RyanAtTanagra mentioned above, but it's true that the physical addiction and withdrawal symptoms only effect a small portion of users and are far less serious than the physical addiction one can have with drugs like alcohol, tobacco, opiates, and caffeine. Pot "addiction" is more comparable to the excess use of junk food, television, or anything else that would be more often referred to as a bad habit or a mental addiction.

If your stance is, you'd be better off not smoking pot, that's fair. Especially for someone who's prone to excess and bad habits. But it's not that different than saying you'd be better off not eating junk food or watching TV. Lot's of people consume chocolate, television, and pot occasionally and it doesn't fuck up their life. A few develop bad habits and overuse these pleasurable things and it does negatively affect them.

And I'm not saying all of this to defend pot use, really my concern is that when people take the stance that you're taking, it's counterproductive to your goal. If you're giving that kind of advice to the uninitiated, like say your kids, they might believe you and stay away from the stuff... until they realize you're full of crap. Then they're going to question other advice you've given with regard to drugs as well. I think it's best to give honest and accurate information.

Also, I suspect you unfairly judge pot users based on your tone. I hope you'll reconsider your position.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2019, 01:20:30 PM »
It's important to remember that pot is less physically addictive than caffeine . . . and that caffeine addiction is considered a normal state of affairs for the majority of adults in North America.  Most people who start drinking coffee become addicts.  It's just that it's cheap enough and socially acceptable enough that we don't see it as a big problem.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:25:09 PM by GuitarStv »

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2019, 01:52:22 PM »
It's also important to remember that there are far more deaths caused by caffeine than by marijuana.  Even if you account for the fact that caffeine is consumed more than marijuana, caffeine is still more dangerous.  That is also true for almost all drugs, including ones most people consider exceedingly safe like caffeine or aspirin.  Toxicologically marijuana is one of the safest substances known.   

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2019, 01:59:56 PM »
It's important to remember that pot is less physically addictive than caffeine . . . and that caffeine addiction is considered a normal state of affairs for the majority of adults in North America.  Most people who start drinking coffee become addicts.  It's just that it's cheap enough and socially acceptable enough that we don't see it as a big problem.

And promotes the kind of productivity that our society values.

Although to be fair, there are some people who derive motivation and energy from pot use as opposed to the common belief that it makes users lazy. Those people are probably more the exception than the rule, but it's worth noting.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2019, 02:28:39 PM »

The bolded claim tells me you don't know what you're talking about with regards to addiction. It is an accurate statement, but anyone who knows anything about drug addiction would realize it goes without saying.

When people make the claim that pot is not addictive, what they're generally referring to is physical addiction. Even this isn't entirely accurate as RyanAtTanagra mentioned above, but it's true that the physical addiction and withdrawal symptoms only effect a small portion of users and are far less serious than the physical addiction one can have with drugs like alcohol, tobacco, opiates, and caffeine. Pot "addiction" is more comparable to the excess use of junk food, television, or anything else that would be more often referred to as a bad habit or a mental addiction.

If your stance is, you'd be better off not smoking pot, that's fair. Especially for someone who's prone to excess and bad habits. But it's not that different than saying you'd be better off not eating junk food or watching TV. Lot's of people consume chocolate, television, and pot occasionally and it doesn't fuck up their life. A few develop bad habits and overuse these pleasurable things and it does negatively affect them.

And I'm not saying all of this to defend pot use, really my concern is that when people take the stance that you're taking, it's counterproductive to your goal. If you're giving that kind of advice to the uninitiated, like say your kids, they might believe you and stay away from the stuff... until they realize you're full of crap. Then they're going to question other advice you've given with regard to drugs as well. I think it's best to give honest and accurate information.

Also, I suspect you unfairly judge pot users based on your tone. I hope you'll reconsider your position.

Here’s a good definition of addiction from the NIH:

Addiction is defined as a chronic, relapsing disorder characterized by compulsive drug seeking, continued use despite harmful consequences, and long-lasting changes in the brain. It is considered both a complex brain disorder and a mental illness. Addiction is the most severe form of a full spectrum of substance use disorders, and is a medical illness caused by repeated misuse of a substance or substances.

Note the emphasis on behavior and consequences. It’s not a pharmaceutical thing.

Chronic, relapsing, compulsive - check. OP is using every day and can’t stop.
Harmful consequences- check, even if we limit our scope to the $4k per year up in smoke, and don’t factor in legal risks, professional risks, physical health risks, etc.
Long-lasting changes in the brain - OP suffers withdrawal symptoms and cannot stop using.

Am I “judging” addiction as a problem people ought to immediately address? Absolutely!
I feel the same about the people with brown teeth spending $1k per year on caffeine at Starbucks, who would suffer debilitating headaches and insomnia if they ever skipped a dose.
Nicotine addicts need to make quitting priority #1 or they will die.
Similarly the best thing an alcoholic can do is accept their diagnosis and get help.

The worst possible way to deal with the topic of addiction is to present it as a valid lifestyle option. It ruins lives and ends lives.

I know an alcoholic who thinks he’s living the good life on his own terms, when I’m fact all his disposable income goes to the liquor store, he’s marginally employable, he’ll need a transplant some day, and his entire family is estranged. He’ll swear he’s not addicted, and can make excuses all day. I “judge” him differently: as a person who needs to prioritize getting help before he can succeed in any aspect of his life. To tell him it’s OK to live that way would be beyond wrong.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2019, 03:10:33 PM »
OP is more than a year old and that user hasn't posted for almost as long. I'm not concerned with the advice we're giving them because they're not going to read it. My response had nothing to do with them.

I'm aware of how addiction is defined but also that the terms physical addiction and mental addiction are used colloquially to mean something more specific.

That you're using an alcoholic as an example tells me you do not acknowledge how very different alcohol and pot are in terms of addictiveness.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 03:12:58 PM by Davnasty »

Fire2025

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2019, 03:52:38 PM »

Cwadda, I'm also very interested in growing it.  As a gardener it seems like a very interesting plant with some cool specialized needs.  But similar problem, I don't smoke at all.  My neighbors seem to smoke, but how do you offer people marijuana, without sounding like a weirdo??  As soon as I have a friend that smokes, I'm definitely going to grow a plant.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2019, 07:38:16 AM »

Cwadda, I'm also very interested in growing it.  As a gardener it seems like a very interesting plant with some cool specialized needs.  But similar problem, I don't smoke at all.  My neighbors seem to smoke, but how do you offer people marijuana, without sounding like a weirdo??  As soon as I have a friend that smokes, I'm definitely going to grow a plant.

It you grow it they will appear.  ;) 

Seriously, it is a very special plant.  It's worth growing even if you don't consume it.  The fragrance of it in bloom is wonderful. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2019, 10:03:47 AM »
The fragrance of it in bloom is wonderful.

YMMV on that.  Many of us find it's fragrance in bloom pretty disgusting.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2019, 05:21:06 PM »
It's also important to remember that there are far more deaths caused by caffeine than by marijuana.  Even if you account for the fact that caffeine is consumed more than marijuana, caffeine is still more dangerous.  That is also true for almost all drugs, including ones most people consider exceedingly safe like caffeine or aspirin.  Toxicologically marijuana is one of the safest substances known.   

What numbers/causes are you using as deaths from caffeine?

I've certainly see this claim about pot when compared to alcohol and cigarettes and understand where the numbers come from.

Direct death of caffeine overdose takes some pretty extremely heroics to achieve, so I'm assuming you're linking some other cause(s) to caffeine?

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2019, 06:23:27 PM »

Different strokes....

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2019, 08:57:48 PM »

Different strokes....

Different tokes......

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2019, 09:01:22 PM »

I've certainly see this claim about pot when compared to alcohol and cigarettes and understand where the numbers come from.

Direct death of caffeine overdose takes some pretty extremely heroics to achieve, so I'm assuming you're linking some other cause(s) to caffeine?

I found some poison control numbers on caffeine from 2014 - some "major" calls but zero deaths. Since then I know I heard of a kid who died from heart arrhythmia after drinking a coffee, a coke, and an energy drink within like an hour.

https://piper.filecamp.com/uniq/s84oJcmn4i4T93VC.pdf

The same study showed zero marijuana deaths. This probably omits some deaths due to driving while intoxicated. Marijuanna has a documented effect of impairing driving ability, but I don't think it's routinely tested for at accidents.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2722956/

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2019, 07:23:54 AM »

Direct deaths due to caffeine.  Most of the cases I've read about, the caffeine caused arrhythmia and/or cardiac arrest.  I don't have any statistics on hand but I know I've read of multiple accounts of people overdosing on caffeine, although it is pretty rare.  I would think trying to OD by drinking coffee or soda would be exceedingly difficult because you'd have a hard time consuming enough in a short enough time frame, but an entire bottle of no-doz would likely be lethal and easy to consume if you were motivated. Last time I checked there were 0 deaths directly attributable to marijuana.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2019, 07:29:51 AM »
I found some poison control numbers on caffeine from 2014 - some "major" calls but zero deaths. Since then I know I heard of a kid who died from heart arrhythmia after drinking a coffee, a coke, and an energy drink within like an hour.

https://piper.filecamp.com/uniq/s84oJcmn4i4T93VC.pdf

There have been at least 92 deaths caused by caffeine:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5986491/

The same study showed zero marijuana deaths. This probably omits some deaths due to driving while intoxicated. Marijuanna has a documented effect of impairing driving ability, but I don't think it's routinely tested for at accidents.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2722956/

There's a single (disputed) case of a woman who died with high levels of THC in her system . . . that one coroner has claimed is an overdose death:

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/06/marijuana-overdose/

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2019, 07:39:31 AM »
Thanks folks!

jafr1284

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2019, 08:29:05 AM »
if you are smoking that much you should grow your own pot! Also in my experience a vaporizer is much more efficient at transferring thc from the flowers to your bloodstream than a bong. Use your existing vape or get a volcano! Also to echo what other people have said since this is a mustachian forum perhaps consider a T break or smoking less. Happy smoking:)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2019, 11:33:06 AM »
if you are smoking that much you should grow your own pot!

We don't have exact experience with this (don't smoke weed), but:

We have an Aerogarden because my husband likes to start plants for the garden in early spring and also raise herbs in the winter. As such, he has spent a fair amount of time watching Youtube videos on growing plants in the Aerogarden. And there are videos out there that show an absolutely amazing growth of high-producing pot plants using them. Like, serious, shocking growth with fantastic production, in a very small space.

I know the OP isn't here anymore, but hey, I'm an equal opportunity frugalista concerning knowledge exchange, so I thought I'd pass on that tip to any other people who might be interested.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2019, 02:53:39 PM »
Going to jail is one way to FIRE I suppose.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2019, 05:36:40 PM »
I think we can all agree that the real killer is dihydrogen monoxide.  And you probably have it in your house right now!