Author Topic: Frugal Hotel Choice in Chicago  (Read 5826 times)

stlbrah

• Bristles
Frugal Hotel Choice in Chicago
« on: May 13, 2015, 09:23:07 AM »
Hey, All

I am looking for suggestions on a hotel choice that won't break the bank in Chicago this weekend (last minute choice to go). It needs to be near the metro/el and the closer to downtown the better. I have been to chicago several times, but someone else has always figured out the hotel, or I have stayed with friends... so I am clueless about which area to stay in.

Thanks

RexualChocolate

• Stubble
Re: Frugal Hotel Choice in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 09:32:46 AM »
What will you be doing in Chicago? The only truly frugal time to get hotels here is outside of Spring/Summer (Seriously, they go below 100 dollars/night for name brands)

If you're willing to share space with another person, check out AirBnB. For me, its worth spending the extra to have a hotel and be able to walk everywhere downtown. Chicago is very nice in the downtown area but too far West or South can get dicey fast. Unsurprisingly, it doesn't look like any hotels are reasonable downtown this weekend.

Additionally, take the trains from the airports. They're super cheap and from O'Hare often the same amount of time.

Field123

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 12:37:21 PM »
Not sure about where to find any frugal hotels since I live here and have never booked one, but if you find a price you like feel free to post or PM me and I can tell you about the area.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 01:46:14 PM »
Especially this "late in the game", there are none.  Try either near Ohare, close to the "blue line" or do something on Air BnB or plan your trip further ahead for a decent deal.

Brian5000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 01:55:13 PM »
Not sure of what your plans are but I would advise that you try an AirBnB either close to your main attraction or along a convenient CTA line. (Blue, Brown, or Red Lines). South Loop is far from everything except the Museums so I would choose something further North. The Loop is dead at nighttime.
River North is probably the best location (bars, nightlife, walkable, part of downtown) but likely the most expensive and hardest to find parking. This time of year, the neighborhoods like Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Old Town, Lakeview are really nice if you can get a place within 5 minutes walk of a Blue, Brown, or Red line stop. With the CTA you are a ~10-20 minute train ride from downtown.

I second taking the CTA Blue Line from O'Hare into the city. It's about a 30-40 minute ride for $5. $2.25 to go back. Or are you driving in from St Louis?

Give us a more specific list of venues you're planning on going to and we could help select an optimal neighborhood.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 02:05:49 PM »
The Holiday Inn Express at O'Hare is clean, new, and cheap

otter

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 03:22:36 PM »
I agree with the others that you're unlikely to find any deals at this point, perhaps except on Priceline (I don't use the site, but I'm aware you can get last-minute deals sometimes.) Without trying too hard to suggest an itinerary for you, I do suggest that you spend some time exploring neighborhoods (Wicker Park or Andersonville, for instance) - they're where the heart of the city is! No hotel anywhere near the Loop is going to be cheap. On the north side, a neighborhood like Lakeview or Wicker Park is probably the best bet for a location that will be cheaper than Loop-ish and not too far away.

If you're flying in, it's probably not a bad idea to at least consider getting a hotel near ORD (e.g. at Rosemont or one of the airport hotels) and taking the Blue Line in, but if it were me I might find the trip home at the end of the night tedious, and the setting a bit depressing. It is invigorating to be staying in an interesting location.

I suspect AirBnB may be your best option on short notice.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 05:00:49 PM »
To echo other posters, for a last minute trip (and most trips, really!) I would just go with Airbnb.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 06:13:11 PM »
Traveling solo?  Would you consider a hostel?

http://hichicago.org/about-hi-chicago/

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 06:21:11 PM »
I just heard of this app, hotel tonight?  I have not tried it but it is last minute hotel deals. 

garion

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 07:49:36 PM »
I just heard of this app, hotel tonight?  I have not tried it but it is last minute hotel deals.

Yes, Hotel Tonight! Download the app, it specializes in last minute hotel deals at discount rates. I got the app when I thought I was going to need it, never had to but the deals on it look pretty good.

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 08:50:58 PM »
If you are willing to stay out a ways, the Hyatt Regency O'Hare is usually available for ~$60 using code "53421" under corporate/group code or via priceline.  The hotel is a short walk from the Rosemont blue line --- about a 35-40 minute train ride from Downtown Chicago.

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 04:21:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I though I already responded to this.

We were just going to drive up there for fun/eat pizza, its a pretty common weekend thing for st louis dwellers. I also like some of the gyms up there.

Unfortunately, it got rained out, but then we got a sweet deal on groupon for $130/night on magnificent mile.

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 04:22:20 PM »

Yes, Hotel Tonight! Download the app, it specializes in last minute hotel deals at discount rates. I got the app when I thought I was going to need it, never had to but the deals on it look pretty good.

interesting, will have to check this out!