Author Topic: Frugal, but generous and worthwhile gifting tips?  (Read 2198 times)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
Frugal, but generous and worthwhile gifting tips?
« on: June 07, 2017, 06:27:08 AM »
Gifts continue to be my Achille's heel (or one of them... I have several Achille's heels but only two feet!)  It's a blessing to have friends and family, but the constant partying is wearing me down and emptying my pocket.

I keep a closet full of gifts bought on sale or to make shipping or coupon minimums; this helps for kid birthdays. Also, if one of my kids receives a duplicate or toy they don't care for, it goes into the closet for regifting.

However, I could do with some tips for gifts for adults. For instance, I need to think ahead for end-of-the-year teacher gifts, and also Father's Day. My husband should be easy, but it's always a struggle to do something for my father-in-law. 

I am a fairly skilled crafter but at a point in my life where time is scarce and I always wonder whether people appreciate my offerings.  I also hate to give gifts that will be clutter or thrown out.

How does a  generous Mustachian gift?

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
Re: Frugal, but generous and worthwhile gifting tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 07:07:13 AM »
I'm lazy, and would prefer to do away with gifting entirely.

I buy bottles of champagne (or other decent sparkling wine) when they are on offer (often stacking supermarket offers). They sit in the gift closet with gift bags. I consider it a job done. I also like to have one in the car in case the need for a gift arises. I think they are well received, and they are easy to regift if they aren't the preference of the recipient.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 11:58:51 AM »
These aren't necessarily the least expensive options out there, but they always seem to be welcomed and enjoyed...

1. For social gifting, I go to a couple of really nice chocolate shops that do gorgeous hand-made chocolates. Those "feel gifty" and are small enough so that even people who watch their diet can enjoy them, or if they are really off-limits to the recipient they are also easy to put out at a party or give away. Of course I have to sample as well so it's a fun errand.

2. My family often does "gift traditions" meaning that they give the same thing every year--for instance, every year my grandparents gave all their adult children a big container of locally made maple syrup (I was grown up and buying my own groceries before I figured out why they appreciated it so much) and a locally-produced calendar with photos of their hometown. We buy my mom potted flowers for her porch every year for Mother's Day (used to do cut flowers but she prefers the plants) and she enjoys seeing what we pick out, and knows not to go to the Garden Center until after the holiday.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 12:04:20 PM »
In the same boat. 

DH is on board w/ the MMM way of life.  For Father's Day, I don't want to give (and he doesn't want to receive) some new piece of clutter for our house.  I'm thinking of making him some baked treats and his favorite dinner.

For teachers at the end of the year, I gave out $10 Starbucks gift cards.  It's enough to buy a couple things there.  Easily regifted if they don't care for it.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 12:30:04 PM »
I'm going to try to instigate family gift traditions. There is some decent local produce that we could exchange. Great idea. Thanks.