Author Topic: Front wheel of bike stolen - Need Mustachian ideas to fix it  (Read 5976 times)

SpendyMcSpend

• Bristles
I'm not handy!

James

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Front wheel of bike stolen - Need Mustachian ideas to fix it
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 01:42:17 PM »
Best option I can think of is to find a local bike shop who can find a used front wheel that will work for you.

napalminator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 02:11:16 PM »
craigslist, craigslist, craigslist.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 02:17:30 PM »

Who knows, you might even get lucky and get yours back this way! lol

smedleyb

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 02:20:23 PM »
I'm not handy!

Nothing a pair of pliers, a blow torch ,and a couple of pipe wielding Mustachians can't fix.

Oh wait, you mean the front wheel...duh!

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 03:05:31 PM »

Who knows, you might even get lucky and get yours back this way! lol

Very true, not a bad idea to keep an I out there for your wheel.

Craig's list depends on where you live.  Around my area that wouldn't be an option, but in a bigger city there might be front wheels that you could then ask about size, or you might find an old beater you could steel the front tire from and save or junk the rest.  But you need a pretty close fit, and it depends on how particular your bike is about the fit of the replacement tire.  The bike might need adjustments to the brakes, etc, to fit the new wheel.

At least ask at bike shops about options they recommend.  If they know you are on a tight budget they may help you find someplace to look for one just in the hope their goodwill will generate future business.  Stop in or call around, usually persistence is the biggest factor in finding the big break that saves a lot of money.

napalminator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 04:05:51 PM »
the bike nerds of the forum could probably offer more specific advice if we were given more information (wheel size or at least the bicycle model).

hint: look at the other wheel.  assuming you're on the original equipment, the front and rear wheels were probably quite similar (same or very similar rims and tires).  on the side of the existing tire, look for a size like "700x23" or "26x2.0".  if you can tell us a tire size, it'll narrow now what you should be shopping for considerably.

SpendyMcSpend

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 04:30:46 PM »
Thanks!  I will check the tire size today or tomorrow and report back.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 06:11:12 PM »
Also was your front wheel previous a quick release one?

Is so switch to one that is attached with a nut. At least that way a thief will need some tools to remove it.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 06:16:36 AM »
Also check the thread I started a couple days ago in the Mustachian Marketplace, if anyone who posted there is in your area they might be able to help.

Look for local bike swaps and other events which usually happen around this time of year. There are lots of bike nerds that save old bike parts they've accumulated, including wheels, and usually sell for a good price. If you found such a swap and brought the back wheel of your bike with you, someone there could help you match it with a front wheel for sale.

Most wheels I've seen for sale secondhand are usually just the hub/spokes/rim, so you'd also need a tire, inner tube, and a rim strip that goes on the inside of the rim to protect the tube from the spokes. You might find a used tire to match, and tubes and rim strips are cheap. Putting all of this together is no more difficult than changing a flat, and if you don't know how to do that yet find a bike nerd friend or a shop that runs a bike maintenance class to teach you.

ShavenLlama

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 12:10:55 PM »
Who needs a front wheel?

Start yourself a Mega-Mustachian Lawn Care business and save up for a new one.

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 12:17:13 PM »
For the future, remember to lock your front tire - especially if it is a quick release.  My suggestion would be to use a U lock to lock both the frame of your bike and your front wheel to a post.  I don't bother locking my back wheel since it is not a quick release and you need a specific tool to get it off.  Sadly, front tire stealing is not uncommon.