Author Topic: Front load E-Bike AKA Bakfiets AKA Long John  (Read 406 times)

joenorm

• Stubble
Front load E-Bike AKA Bakfiets AKA Long John
« on: June 01, 2023, 09:27:14 AM »
Has anyone here splurged for one of these? I really want one. I have test ridden one and enjoy the ride. I live in a rural area so the size doesn't bother me because I wouldn't be wheeling it into an apartment.

They are crazy expensive. I could get a used electric car for a similar price but then I would have a car and not a bike. I have one child so far and think we'd have a lot of fun tooling around on one. I doubt it would pay for itself with gas savings but who cares, we'd be having fun.

Anyone have first hand experience? Worth it? Regrets?

okparallax

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Front load E-Bike AKA Bakfiets AKA Long John
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 08:41:49 AM »
We moved cross country and sold one of our cars and bought a Urban Arrow Family. We have had it for 18 months and it has about 2,000 miles on it.

It has been fantastic and we are still holding strong at 1 car. Our kids love riding in the front of the bike and it's our primary way of getting around town.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 08:45:24 AM »
I test-rode one, and the owner wouldn't let me buy it because I lived about an hour south of him, in a town known for hills, whereas he lived in the plains half of the state where it was very flat. He was an avid cyclist (I knew him from the bike club) and he said flatly, "You just can't ride these things up and down hills. You'll hate it, I promise. They just aren't built for hills."

I took his advice. I wasn't a fan of the handling anyway.

AnotherEngineer

• Stubble
  • MMM reader since '11, forum stalker since '15
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 03:22:38 PM »
If you have one or more kids under age five or so and will haul them around a lot a bakfiets is the best way to travel hands down. I borrowed an Urban Arrow for three days around Madison and it was a dream. Easy loading, no trailers to try to maneuver and park, no front and rear seats on a bike not really designed for them, etc. The kids are right there and you can talk along the way. They are comfortable and have enough room for more stuff. Long tails are good too and a lot less expensive, but the kids are higher up, have their own seats to buckle and cargo plus kids can be more difficult.

As the kids grow and transition to trailer bikes and their own bikes, I expect you would use it much less.

I would suggest an electric assist if you have any hills or heavy loads to make it a true car replacement.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 05:41:44 PM »
I ride hills with the Rad Wagin, a cargo e-bike and it works. It’s not like the ones you are looking at since the kids sit on the back. The youngest we put in it was 3 using a thing I think of as a cage. No buckles or straps.
I’d like them in the front often times and I think it would be simpler and more stable. But I can see how hills would be harder. I can barely make it up the hills with 750 watts and all three kids on.