Author Topic: Frivolous: what free Starbucks item to get?  (Read 2991 times)

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Frivolous: what free Starbucks item to get?
« on: August 09, 2016, 02:52:05 AM »
I've got a free Starbucks item coming my way (individual food serving/standard-sized drink).  What do you think is worthwhile value to redeem this for (and what's your rationale)?

I know this is a pretty frivolous question, so thank you to anyone who offers their thoughts. :)

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Frivolous: what free Starbucks item to get?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 06:43:52 AM »
Definitely a food item.  I like their kale and roasted veggie salad.  I'm a vegetarian.  So that or one of their meaty lunch things, they are the highest priced items on the menu ($6.50 or so.)

Or, if you like sweet stuff, you can get a giant flavored frappaccino, have 1/2, pop it in the freezer, and eat more of it another day.  The biggest one is 24 ounces.  Lesser $ value than a lunch thing, but you get to enjoy it in two sessions.

(I guess I think their lunch things are appropriate to eat in one sitting.  But I don't think a 24 oz. bucket of starbucks with 80+ grams of sugar should be consumed all at once.)

It is probably blasphemous around MMM land to buy starbucks, but we do occasionally.  There are 1/2 of groupons a couple times a year and I sometimes score giftcards from my employer and co-workers.  We rarely get their ridiculously priced drinks or food, though.  Usually just $1.85 espresso.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 06:44:25 AM »
I would wait until fall and get a pumpkin spice latte.  It is the only thing I like at Starbucks anymore and I buy maybe 3 while they are around.  I really enjoy walking up to the Starbucks, buying one and sitting outside to sip it in the fall air. 

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 06:49:44 AM »
When I get a free Starbucks I always get the biggest cup and add extra shots.

White chocolate mocha with no whip. It's not really delicious, but the most tolerable to me. I prefer black coffee but getting that for free doesn't feel like a win at all. :)

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 06:58:41 AM »
HairyUpperLip, get food!  They have some decent options, and you'll feel pretty good getting a $6+ food item for free will feel more win-like, I bet.

Tiger Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 07:46:55 AM »
I always get the biggest cup of coffee and add shots so it ends up being close to $8

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 08:13:59 AM »
On beverages, food, and face value-  One interesting thing to consider when maximizing value is the actual cost to the store.  The drinks and additions have the biggest margins- so a $7 drink might cost the shop only $1 to make.  But a $7 salad might cost $2.50. 

I once went on an all-inclusive resort vacation, and I don't drink alcohol, so I was lamenting that I wasn't getting my money's worth.  But someone pointed out the drinks have the highest margins, so by eating my fair share of food, I was probably doing just fine.

Besides that, your body can actually use a kale salad.  A frappuccino or other drink with sugar and artificial flavors probably does more harm than good.

Clearly I'm thinking way too much about this!!!

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 10:00:19 AM »
Food.  If this is your free birthday treat go quickly - mine expired 3 days after my b-d and I missed it.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 10:14:12 PM »
On beverages, food, and face value-  One interesting thing to consider when maximizing value is the actual cost to the store.  The drinks and additions have the biggest margins- so a $7 drink might cost the shop only $1 to make.  But a $7 salad might cost $2.50. 

I once went on an all-inclusive resort vacation, and I don't drink alcohol, so I was lamenting that I wasn't getting my money's worth.  But someone pointed out the drinks have the highest margins, so by eating my fair share of food, I was probably doing just fine.

Besides that, your body can actually use a kale salad.  A frappuccino or other drink with sugar and artificial flavors probably does more harm than good.

Clearly I'm thinking way too much about this!!!

Heh, I am the same!

I got a turkey pesto provolone sandwich. That tiny thing is $6.95 CAD ($7.85 CAD after taxes)!  It'll be lunch tomorrow/midnight snack tonight.  Didn't see any salads (went mid-afternoon), but will give that a try next time.

I would normally redeem for a giant Frappucino to share with DH and DD, but I wasn't craving one and liked your rationale that my body actually needs real food - sugary milkshake, not so much.

pachnik - mary w is right, those free items expire really fast!  If they could be saved a PSL would have been nice (once we hit cold weather - freaking heat wave happening right now!)

Thanks, all!

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 07:53:44 AM »
I came back to this thread just to find out what you got.  Well done.

BMEPhDinCO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 11:22:31 AM »
Nice job on the sandwich!  I usually get a trenti (the largest size) shaken tea with adding in berries, banana, etc to bulk it up - then I split that up into 6 drinks by watering it down... get a ton of value and it's a great way to add more water to my day.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!