Author Topic: Freezer Containers  (Read 6878 times)

Mega

• Stubble
Freezer Containers
« on: September 09, 2014, 06:44:08 PM »
Hi folks,

What do you use to freeze your leftovers (in lunch size portions) / separate bulk meat purchases? Do they stack nicely?

Our current containers are plastic and have a habit of breaking(for lunch), and Ziplocs are too expensive(for the meat) . It is time to replace them.

Also, what do you use to store homemade bread in the freezer?

Thanks

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Freezer Containers
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 07:39:52 PM »
I used to freeze my lunches in Rubbermaid containers, reheat in the microwave at work.

For meat (i.e. from Costco runs) I cut it to individual size portions, wrap in stretch wrap, and then put as many as possible into a Ziploc freezer bag.  This means less freezer burn but I can thaw as much or as little as I want, since the pieces don't stick together.  Done this way the Ziploc bags last a long time.  I also use them to keep things cold - my nearest Costco is over an hour away, and I usually stop at the end of a series of errands, so using freezies doesn't work very well.  Instead I take a couple of freezer bags and fill them with ice from the drink machine - this was actually a suggestion from a butcher at Costco.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 07:59:30 PM »
We are using freezer friendly deli containers since they stack so nicely (and 1/2 lb, 1lb and 2 lb containers are ideal for lots of things). We bought the ones specifically mentioning freezing though to avoid issues. We needed them freezer friendly due to our daily smoothie habit requiring lots of fresh fruit and veggies which we prep and freeze in batches for easy weekday mornings.

kittystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 08:08:24 PM »
I DO NOT recommend the Ball "Freezer Containers" they are little plastic jars with lids.  Didn't last at all.

+1 to the individual portions wrapped and frozen and stored in gallon ziplocs.  My mom eats bacon.  I do not eat bacon.  My mom brings POUNDS of bacon to my house and leaves it.  I wrap portions and freeze and bingo - she has a little bacon every time she visits. 

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 08:19:41 PM »
Glass Pyrex containers. I splurged and got a whole bunch of them at Target a few years back. They are great! Freezable, microwavable, ovenable (can't with plastic), and just recently tested - they fall on the floor and don't break.

I went away from using the plastic containers due to the plastic taste creeping into the food taste when I would reheat the food. I'm kind of a food snob in this way.

Additional benefits are: the containers don't stain with tomato sauces or anything colored (sometimes you could never get the color off of the plastic containers), the health scares with potential chemicals seeping into your food, the lids give a great seal and protect from freezer burn.

I freeze in 1/2/3 portion sizes and label them with the date and contents so it's easy to see what's in the freezer. I love my freezer-stash.

bonjourliz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 08:30:48 PM »
The glass Pyrex ("snapware") is awesome.  Costco has great sale prices on them, every few months.  IIRC it was like $24 (for a 16 ? piece set - 8 dishes + 8 lids.  Something like that.)

I usually freeze in a ziploc bag (soups, sauces, and individual things that won't stick together like pancakes), sometimes with the food wrapped in saran wrap and/or foil first.  The bags get rinsed out and reused.

For casseroles and other foods that I will be heating in the oven, I line the dish I will use to bake it with saran wrap.  Put in the food, and freeze it.in the dish.  After it's frozen, I take it out of the dish and wrap it with the saran wrap. It comes out of the dish like a brick but holds its shape.  So, the food is ready to be baked in the casserole dish -- but my dish isn't tied up in the freezer.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:35:12 PM by bonjourliz »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 06:28:32 AM »
I was able to use the plastic Rubbermaid because I would transfer my food to a Pyrex dish before microwaving.  If I had had to do it in the container, I would have used the Pyrex storage dishes too.  They are expensive but excellent.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »
I freeze soup in single servings in smal mason jars. They freeze beautifully and the jars can take it -- the same as freezer jam.

WESTOFTHEHUDSON

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 12:09:36 PM »
I use a variety of containers, sometimes I use bread bags (I can get them free from my local pita shop) or I'll use leftover yogurt or margarine,etc tubs. I don't have many but my MIL does and as well, my church has a catering gig and they're always looking to give away empty tubs of all sizes.

I use the small ones for lunch portions of soup for my family and larger ones for casseroles (then dump into a dish and re-heat).

Mega

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 01:26:34 PM »
Sounds like the pyrex snapware is the way to go. Thanks!

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 02:23:32 PM »
I use these: http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/lock-lock-glass-10-piece-set/6000075389480

They go from the freezer into the oven onto the table. Or from the fridge, into my bag, into the microwave at work and onto my desk.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:25:22 PM by Christof »

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 02:39:20 PM »
Sounds like the pyrex snapware is the way to go. Thanks!
I may have to try these myself.  We use a variety of Rubbermaid containers and ziploc bags right now.

Spec7re

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »
I used the replacement containers for http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCCPLC200-PK-20-Ounce-Lunch-Warmer/dp/B006H5V7ZY .

They are $5 each, so it's not very mustachian, but it's pretty much the ultimate lazy leftover food solution.  Remove container from fridge, drop into lunch warmer, food in 1.5 hours.  Taste better than microwave.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 04:06:03 PM »
The glass Pyrex ("snapware") is awesome.  Costco has great sale prices on them, every few months.  IIRC it was like $24 (for a 16 ? piece set - 8 dishes + 8 lids.  Something like that.)

I usually freeze in a ziploc bag (soups, sauces, and individual things that won't stick together like pancakes), sometimes with the food wrapped in saran wrap and/or foil first.  The bags get rinsed out and reused.

For casseroles and other foods that I will be heating in the oven, I line the dish I will use to bake it with saran wrap.  Put in the food, and freeze it.in the dish.  After it's frozen, I take it out of the dish and wrap it with the saran wrap. It comes out of the dish like a brick but holds its shape.  So, the food is ready to be baked in the casserole dish -- but my dish isn't tied up in the freezer.
+1. Love my set of Pyrex snapwear from Costco. Worth every penny. I also have a set of glass Ziplock brand containers. I will never go back to plastic!!!