Author Topic: Free venue for baby's first bday?  (Read 5219 times)

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
Free venue for baby's first bday?
« on: January 11, 2013, 08:44:35 AM »
Wife and I live in a small townhome and we're planning on gathering family together for our little guy's first bday. Our townhome couldn't hold them all and the planned date is Feb meaning cold weather so outside won't work. We're thinking of trying to enlist family with a larger home but don't want to be a burden. Wondering if any mustachians out there know of a venue that's indoors and maybe free?

We don't belong to a church either :(

Phoebe

• Stubble
    • Phoebe's Journey
Re: Free venue for baby's first bday?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 08:55:11 AM »
I'm racking my brain trying to think of free indoor spaces and the only thing I could think of was a mall with a play area.  That might not be ideal though (not a lot of seating, etc.).

I think your idea to ask to use a larger home of a friend or family member is great though!  Perhaps you could try to make it easier on them by saying you'll swing by an hour before with decorations and food, and cleanup afterwards so all they have to do is perhaps tidy up.  You could even ask that it be their present to your baby so they don't feel obligated to purchase a gift on top of it.

Using your friends and family for help is an awesome example of mustachianism and you can return the favor my offering to help them with some project in the future!

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 09:06:12 AM »
An option is to find a Panera Bread near you with a VIP room, then book that space. I do that with my Friday night stitch group (am going there tonight, actually) and we have a great time. We do need to purchase a meal while we're there, but we have also brought snacks in sporadically and no one yells at us. As a bonus, we are there from 3 PM until the place closes, and no one tries to kick us out.

Your local library may also have a community room that you could use for free or for a small donation to the library.

Norman Johnson

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 09:08:54 AM »
A community centre? I would think the schedules are fairly free in the winter time, especially during the day. Call and see how much they would charge you for a rental.

You could also have less guests or two parties. Or cram them all in. The more the merrier?

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 09:51:09 AM »
I think your idea to ask to use a larger home of a friend or family member is great though!  Perhaps you could try to make it easier on them by saying you'll swing by an hour before with decorations and food, and cleanup afterwards so all they have to do is perhaps tidy up.  You could even ask that it be their present to your baby so they don't feel obligated to purchase a gift on top of it.

Using your friends and family for help is an awesome example of mustachianism and you can return the favor my offering to help them with some project in the future!

Yeah, no way would I do that without setup and cleanup handled completely by me with extra cleaning lol.

Why didn't I think of community center, thanks I'll take a look.

Norman Johnson

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 10:40:59 AM »

Yeah, no way would I do that without setup and cleanup handled completely by me with extra cleaning lol.

Why didn't I think of community center, thanks I'll take a look.

As a bonus, they usually have chairs, tables, and a kitchen available as well.

iamsoners

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 11:45:32 AM »
You said you live in a townhouse--is there a community space associated with the area you live in?  A clubhouse or something like that?

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 12:21:06 PM »
You said you live in a townhouse--is there a community space associated with the area you live in?  A clubhouse or something like that?
no, it's a smaller complex with just an open area and playground in the back. Just can't count on CO weather cooperating in Feb for that.

Thanks for suggestion on community center. We do have a rec center close that rents rooms for $20 an hour + admission. We're gonna check that out.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 06:12:10 PM »
Do you belong to a church? Could try that as well.

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 06:23:40 PM »
We don't belong to a church either :(

zhelud

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 12:08:28 PM »
How about this- wait until May, and have a baby-turns-15-months party in a local park.
I assure you that your baby does not have any idea when his real birthday is.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!