Author Topic: Free online yoga recommendations?  (Read 3243 times)

Julard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Free online yoga recommendations?
« on: July 07, 2017, 02:41:31 AM »
Hi, I'm hoping you all might have some suggestions for me.

I'm new to yoga this year, and started out with Yoga with Adrienne and Fightmaster Yoga, which were good initially but not really what I'm looking for now.  I'd really like to find something with a good range of videos and that, while physical, is at least as much about body awareness and mindfulness.  Ideally:

- no workout goals, e.g. "this session we'll focus on our abs"; I'm really not into workouts or abs
- no baby talk, e.g "this will feel yummy", because that irritates me beyond reason
- little or preferably no makeup, and certainly no 20-something beach babes in crop tops (there seem to be a number of these on YouTube).

Yes yes, I know I sound like a grumpy old woman, but I really just want something that's grown up, sensible, and not a quasi-gym workout or a trigger for vague but horrible memories of aerobics (I only did that once, in the 80s; it was dreadful).  I like going slow enough that I can pay attention to what my body is doing.  Any suggestions gratefully received!

Mrs. S

• Stubble
    • Royally Frugal
Re: Free online yoga recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 02:53:36 AM »
Try https://www.doyogawithme.com
I started with their 30 day yoga challenge but then just drifted off. They have a really wide range of practices and I found the videos far relaxing than other YouTube channels

cakie

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 04:13:45 AM »
Try https://www.doyogawithme.com
I started with their 30 day yoga challenge but then just drifted off. They have a really wide range of practices and I found the videos far relaxing than other YouTube channels
+1 they are great, try a whole bunch to find what you like... Loads of different styles and teachers there.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 02:17:04 PM »
I am looking for somewhat of the same thing. So I thought reenacting this post was the best.

I have found Fresh Yoga with Katy Mission on Amazon Prime (Assuming mustacians are allowed to be Amazon prime members ;) ).

Negatives: It's in French, I can understand but not ideal.
She has little to no makeup and but is a "beach babe", I'm guessing 30 something.
She's a bit too flexible, maybe I should aim high, but I'm OK with pigeon not splits.
Sessions are not well categorized. For example: S1E7 is a couple, S1E8 seams to have more meditation but without watching them all, it's a bit it's hard to tell.

Pros: It's FREE on Amazon Prime
Beautiful locations, I really enjoy that the sessions are in different beautiful locations.  Especially season 2.
S2 E1,2,3,4,5, & 6 are all gorgeous.
She does talk about mindfulness & other life hacks but it's a bit random which episodes.

I'm trying to do my own summary of her episodes. I've only tried 3 but Ffwd thru most.

I am looking for Yoga in a beautiful local, but I also want to dial into specific episodes focused on things like: quick wake-up flow, weekend longer session that will make you sweat, longer stretching session, PMS version, relaxation & mindfulness, quick night time relax (sunset please), ...

I'll check out doyogawithme.com as well thanks. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 02:49:01 PM »
Not free, and I'm not a yoga aficionado.  I like yoga, I do it here and there a bit, and I'm 49.  So basically looking for the same thing, basically.

I have a Beachbody On Demand account ($99/year), and they have quite a lot of yoga videos.  I've liked most of the ones that I've tried.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 03:20:51 PM »
I'd also recommend checking out local libraries and churches for drop in free yoga classes. You might find a tolerable teacher/class that way.

I teach such a class. I do soften things somewhat like saying "tush" as in "your tush should be up off the mat for this pose" but only in context of not saying "get your ass in the air" or "butt/buttocks" since that seems too clinical. I have nice churchy ladies in my class, and while I'm sure they've heard cursing, I try to limit that in a free class at a library. ;)

They're doing a free yoga class at a church near my house, but that one is a bit too much churchy with a bit of stretchy for my taste. I believe in meditating during your poses, but I'd rather folks have fun and not take this stuff too seriously and just MOVE.

I do hope you find something that you really like - whether videos/live classes - because yoga is literally the only thing I think that I stick with consistently... and I strongly believe it's one of the best all round exercise/mindful meditation for anyone (typed "medication" by accident and that fits too).

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 03:33:03 PM »
I kind of just poke around youtube - lots of options. I also go to classes at the Y, which isn't free, but if you're a member all the classes are included, and there are many yoga options.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 03:42:51 PM »
Definitely not free but worth paying for is Yogis Anonymous https://yogisanonymous.com/
They have all sorts of different types of teachers - everything from restorative yoga, yoga in a chair, typical vinyasa classes, to extremely-fit-is-that-guy-levitating yoga? All the classes are led by extremely qualified teachers. Some of my favorites are Beth Prandini, Leslie Kazadi, and Kate "the great" Duyn. I used to use free online yoga resources but found that decent classes are worth a small subscription cost.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 03:49:23 PM »
I like Yoga with Adriene. Lots of videos on Youtube, and free.

firestarter2018

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 08:39:07 PM »
It's hard to find consistently good online yoga videos that are also free. There are plenty of yoga instructors putting their stuff on YouTube but quality can be uneven, and I find they're usually trying to get you to pay *something* in the end (ie, for online coaching, yoga training, etc.) Plus, any one instructor is unlikely to be able to produce enough videos for you to get both breadth and depth in various styles.

I really enjoy YogaGlo and find that the $18/month subscription free is well worth it. And let me preface the following by saying a) I'm not getting paid to shill them and b) I rarely recommend stuff like this unless I'm really impressed. Their site has something like 3,500 classes at this point, ranging from meditation to yoga to mat Pilates. Their instructors are excellent -- these are some of the top names in the yoga world (Kathryn Budig, Jason Crandell, even freaking Tias Little who's a living legend). They have classes in all styles (including a significant number of Ashtanga classes which you don't often see), ranging from 5 minutes to 2 hours. Production quality is quite good -- most of the classes are recorded in their L.A. studio so they have actual students taking the class and being filmed, which is nice because you can watch them if you need to follow along.  Most importantly, their search tool is excellent -- when I want to take a class, I just click on various filters until it generates a list of videos that meet my criteria (example: 30 minutes, yoga, level 1-2, hatha style, focus on hips).  I rarely take the same class twice because I keep finding new ones that I want to try.

Anyway, I know monthly subscriptions are generally unMustachian, but this is one of those that can be worth it for the quality of the product and the overall benefit to your health, if you have or want to have a regular yoga practice.

schmerna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 12:07:57 PM »
I am fairly new to yoga and share your abhorrence for yogi baby talk.  I recently found Yoga with Kassandra to suit my needs.  She has some longer workouts (1 hour) at a reasonable pace that challenge me.  Also, a Julia Marie on both YouTube and Amazon Prime is less irritating.  However, both instructors are very fit, maybe I will be soon too.

I will be looking for free trials on various apps in the new year.

MrsPB

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 04:05:34 PM »
Haven’t done it in a while due to injuries but I really liked doyogawithme as others have mentioned

typicalmillenial

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 01:23:49 PM »
Yoga with Adriene ids great- tons of free Youtube videos.

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 06:44:55 AM »
 Have you tried Somatics? It is not yoga but a slower way of moving your body with the focus on the release. My town is a hot bed for this. We have 6+ teachers for this and the classes are jammed packed. I ordered a book from Martha Peterson and will also be getting the DVDS. Not free.  You can see her on you tube as she has a lot of free stuff out there.  https://essentialsomatics.com/about-essential-somatics

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!