Author Topic: Free fax program  (Read 2015 times)

purple monkey

• Bristles
Free fax program
« on: March 10, 2017, 07:12:40 AM »
Due to health, need to fax frequently for the next year.

What free fax programs that you use are secure, easy, and for accurate?

TIA

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Re: Free fax program
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 07:44:05 AM »
I use my office's fax machine most of the time ;).

Otherwise I use http://www.gotfreefax.com/. Is it secure? I don't know. But that's hard to know for any online fax service. You're inherently going to have to trust that they keep all of your uploaded PDFs in a secure manner, and that they don't share it with malicious people.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: Free fax program
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 09:05:43 AM »
What free fax programs that you use are secure, easy, and for accurate?

These are things that do not frequently go together, you can pretty much have free or you can have secure.

Here's a good overview of what you're having to deal with on the security and privacy end from a HIPAA compliance perspective when using FAX to transmit sensitive medical information:

https://luxsci.com/blog/is-a-fax-document-hipaa-secure.html

The requirements outlined to provide semi-secure virtual FAX service in that article is not something you will find with free services. One of the cheaper virtual services I am aware of that can provide "secure" (as in no human interaction or obvious extended database storage outside of what you choose to keep in your account) outbound FAX service that meets those guidelines is VOIPo's Cloud VoIP service ($3.00-4.95/month plus 1¢/minute outbound), though it fails spectacularly on the secure end for anything received if you turn on notifications as you're given no option to not have the PDF attached to those email notifications. So basically, you can either have insecure notifications or secure receiving with blind manual checking with VOIPo.

Most pay to use FAX services online these days are aiming for the $10+/month subscription service fee; however, if you find a well reviewed provider that offers the needed security to make the transmission of medical records slightly less of a burning trainwreck of security theater for under that approximate $5/month target price with VOIPo that meets your needs, go for it. But at least that link above tells you what you should be looking for while shopping around.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:07:37 AM by I.P. Daley »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!